Save Excess Water for Houseplants

I keep a dishpan in my kitchen sink that I use to catch excess water. (Waiting for water to heat up, washing hands, etc.) I then use this water to water my houseplants. I also water my plants with water I used to boil pasta.

By Susan from Giddings, TX

Save Excess Water for Houseplants

Hi Susan, I use a similar idea for my shower water - I've become a greenie that keeps a plastic bucket in the shower to catch the water before it gets warm enough. I use it on my plants, or to top up my fish pond. (08/05/2008)

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD

Save Excess Water for Houseplants

We too try and conserve water any way we can. We keep a bucket (from new cat litter) in the kitchen and put any water into that. At the end of the week we water all the plants.

We also have 2 rain barrels up during the summer for the flowers and vegetables. I have even allowed my outdoor hose to collect water while sitting in the sun and used that hot water to fill my washing machine, hot water for free!

We have a swimming pool and fill a black garbage can (used only for h2o) with rain water and let it sit for a day or so in the sun and then empty it into the pool. This really cuts back on the need to heat the pool. (08/06/2008)

Save Excess Water for Houseplants

Hi Susan, We save ALL our shower water for landscape plants. We have a product that continuously extracts shower water and pumps it through the wall and onto landscape plants. It saves us a great deal of money each month and is simple and convenient to operate. There's also a remote that hangs from our towel rack which turns the pump on and off. If you are interested, the company's website is (08/29/2009)

By jtreavis

Save Excess Water for Houseplants
Fertilizing Houseplants
Fertilizing Houseplants
Insect Problems on Houseplants
Solutions for Insect Pests on Houseplants
Self Watering Houseplant
Watering Houseplants On Vacation
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener