Save Leftover Paint in Smaller Containers

To be thrifty with my storage space, I save the leftover paint in a small gladware type container rather than the large paint can. I write all important paint info (like the store, color name or mix, and room) on it with a sharpie. I just did touch ups in my kitchen with almost 2 year old paint, so I know it doesn't dry out.

By Christine J

Another good container is a plastic peanut butter jar. They seal very tightly and can be shaken as well as stirred. A 2-inch brush will fit without interference. (06/17/2004)

By Jon in Birmingham

Save Leftover Paint for Touch-ups

My tip is: When you're painting a room and you have a small amount of paint leftover, don't throw it away. Find a small container to put it in, preferably a tin or a jar, close the lid tight, label it and save it for touch-ups.

By Lisa

Editor's Note: Another good idea is to put a label on the jar with the batch code number from the can, the exact paint name, the manufacturer name and the solvent that can be used for cleaning brushes. (08/27/2004)

Handy Touch Up Paint

After painting, pour some leftover paint in an empty jar, (such as a baby food jar) and label it for an easy way to walk around doing easy touch up jobs on walls. You can carry it around easier and may actually be tempted to touch up the spot quicker than if you had to haul out the big can of paint.

By Gary S

Just in case you don't happen to have a small container and are determined to save the big can and sure to store it upside down. That way it will not get the thick film on the top and will be easier to mix/shake. (12/29/2004)

By darlin daisy

Touch Up Paint

When painting a room, keep a small jar and fill it with the paint, mark the color and which room it's from on it, and you'll have it at hand in no time to do quick touch ups in the room.

By Regina

Leftover paint in open cans.
Saving Leftover Paint
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Transferring Liquids Into Smaller Containers
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick