Save Money Using Powdered Milk

When making oatmeal, why not substitute the milk with powdered milk. My children have never found out my secret. They think our "porridge" as us Aussies call it is fantastic and they are none the wiser.

My MIL who passed away last year had a recipe which she refused to pass down (don't ask me why, I have no idea). She used to put so much oatmeal, water and a couple of tablespoons of powdered milk and cooked it on the stove top in a non-stick saucepan. It tasted great. I'm trying to recreate the recipe.

I don't know about you, but if it tastes the same and is cheaper to make using powdered milk, I know what I'd be using. In Australia the store brand (generic) skim powdered milk is only $4.75 Australian. This will make up 10 litres of milk. That's under 50c a litre (just over 2 pints). Here in Australia, milk has risen in price and is about $2.70 for 2 litres. I can make up 2 litres for under $1.

I use it in tea, coffee, cereal and my girls don't seem to mind. Once they realized it tasted okay, they were fine with it.

Hope this may help someone who may be hesitant to try using it instead of fresh milk. You could at least have it on hand for when you run out of fresh.

Cheers

By Beverley in Western Australia

Answers:

Save Money Using Powdered Milk

It's just the two of us, so no kidkins to please, but we live out in the country. I started using the powdered milk just for myself and in cooking. DH was none the wiser about the cooking use. Then we ran out of regular milk a couple times and he had to use the dry milk "in a pinch". Sly me, I always keep it made up, cold, in the refrigerator and we often run out of the other milk. Just last night I was told, you know, this stuff is really good and with gas prices so high and making all these special trips into town for milk, it's such a good idea to have this powdered milk on hand. I think I have a convert! :D
(09/30/2004)

By Jayne

Powdered Milk

If powdered milk is considerably cheaper than fresh in your area, you can prepare it and mix it half-n-half with fresh milk. You will still get a savings without the dreaded powdered milk taste. In my area, powdered milk is $2 per prepared gallon, while fresh milk is over $3 per gallon.

By Leann D (11/22/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Save Money Using Powdered Milk

Here in Canada where I live, powdered milk is the same price per litre to make up as it is to buy fresh. I have never seen the powdered milk go on sale but I did, one time, get a reduced bag (had a slit in the side of the bag). My kids hate powdered milk to drink so I used it in baking. It was wonderful to have on hand for emergencies. (11/23/2004)

By valleyrimgirl

Save Money Using Powdered Milk

Powdered milk may not be cheaper but it never spoils as a powder when stored properly. You can also make it with WARM water and then CHILL, serve very cold, this reduces the "funny flavor" it gets. I think it's great because you only make what you need and have less waste. Great for pudding too. (11/23/2004)

By Barbie

Save Money Using Powdered Milk

I use powdered milk for a lot of my baking. I have 3 guys in my house so keeping fresh milk around is almost impossible. They won't touch my powdered milk and so I can keep it handy for baking. (10/28/2005)

By Regina

Save Money Using Powdered Milk

Thanks to all who have done the math, I have a big box bought at Costco, getting old and had no way knowing what I would be saving. Guess I would be saving 100% since I forget the price of the big box. Just thought, check with Costco what the big box is selling for, now.

(01/31/2009)

By Verla G.

Dairy Products on White Background
Saving Money on Dairy
Powdered Milk
Powdered Milk Ice Cream Recipes
Collection of dried and canned foods including box of powdered milk.
Making Powdered Milk Taste Better
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
Powdered Milk
Using Powdered Milk
🎉
🎄