Saving Money On Fitness

Couple Stretching on Grass
You don't have to pay for an expensive health club membership to stay fit and healthy. This is a guide about saving money on fitness.

This is not a joke, really! I did it and it turned out great. I showed my daughter who is nine years old and she started screaming and saying "Ewwwww!", "Gross!" and "Get Away from Me!" I don't think I have laughed so hard in a long time. It really works though. I used a large or medium sized pair of men's brief underwear that I got for free from someone who never wore them

You lay the brief out and cut a circle out of the crotch. Leave the binding and about an inch as this is the straps for your shoulder. I can see it would irritate my skin, but I am going to cut out a pattern because it actually fits so well, it is just too rough of material. It was the funniest thing I have ever done!

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

It's that time of year when everyone is running around panicking because soon they'll have to wear shorts or a bathing suit. Here are some tips to get yourself in shape without costing a fortune.

Gyms

Gyms are horribly expensive but usually have summer deals. If you are determined to join a gym, go in several of them and see if they will give you a week's pass for free (most places will do this). You can accumulate free weeks of free gym time if you visit 3-4 gyms in your area. Afterwards, let the gym know you're low on funds and that you want the best deal. Compare. Sometimes if you tell one gym the other gym is going to give you a better deal, they'll make their price better. It can happen! So wheel and deal with gyms otherwise you'll end up spending a small fortune. Also check out the "Y" and University Gyms. Those usually have decent summer rates.

Frugal Exercise

If you decide not to join a gym but still want to get fit:

Yoga

Most yoga studios with either give you a free intro class, or offer a "first-time" fee for about $10. This is a good way to try out different yoga places in your area. Most communities also have classes set up for about $50 for once a week for about 8 weeks. These programs are usually sponsored by the local government, so look in your community guides. Many studios offer what is called a "Community" Class. I've noticed this is offered in several cities I have been to and usually run about $5 a class for 1 1/2 hours. I've even found FREE yoga in once city followed by a meditation and free veggie meal. These are usually offered by either religious organizations or community spiritual groups.

If you are on a limited budget, inquire about your options and let them know. You'd be surprised, some places might give you a few extra classes if you purchase a punch card or sign up for a class.

Buying A Yoga Mat: At first I looked for a free Mat on Freecycle but had no luck there. Kijiji.ca sold one for $5. In the end, I decided to purchase a mat/carrying case and DVD for $30. Seems a bit pricey at first but since I can not afford to attend yoga classes more than once a week, I use the DVD for other days which has wonderful 20 minute workouts.

Also try this website that offers a free yoga dvd download: http://yoga.org.nz/yoga_vidoes.htm

Or download an audio podcast: http://www.yogadownload.com/podcast.asp

So go out there and get healthy for free, or at least for cheaper!

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

Editor's Note: Share some of your favorite frugal fitness tips!

Like most of us, I have some extra weight that I've had trouble getting off. I can't afford the cost of a gym, and even if I could, I probably wouldn't go. I know walking is a great form of exercise, but in my area it's awfully hard because there are a lot of dogs running loose (not strays either) and many of them will chase you down.

The last time I tried to go for a walk, a huge Rottweiller came at me. If a friend hadn't happened along at that time and offered me a ride, I'd have been lunch meat!

So I came up with a way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone! My house sits on 1-3/4 acres and I used to just hop on the old riding mower and get the grass cut. This year I decided to start using the walk-behind mower. Mine is self-propelled so doesn't take much effort. But following that thing around the yard gives me a good workout!

Since my yard is so big, I do it in 3 sections. I mow every other day, doing one section at a time. That way not only do I get my exercise, but my grass stays mowed too!

The only thing that I use the rider for now, is with the lawn sweeper to pick up leaves in the spring and fall!

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Actively look for stairs to take rather than heading for escalators and elevators. If the trip up involves too many floors, use the stairs part of the way.

Also, use shopping baskets instead of carts! Great for weight training!