Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Saving Money on Boating

You can enjoy the water and your craft without needing a lot of money. This guide is about saving money on boating.

July 26, 2005 Flag

If you have a boat, remember to gas up on the road before getting to your destination, as marina gas prices are much higher. Same thing for snacks and drinks to have out on your boat, grocery store prices will be cheaper than convenience store or bait shop/marina prices.

By Terri

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It's true that you can save money by filling your boat up at a gas station before you get to the lake, but be careful about what you fill up with.

In many areas of the country, the gas at service stations is now blended with ethanol. Older boat engines are not designed to run on blended fuel and this could result in serious damage (and serious repair bills) to your engine. Check your owner's manual before you put ethonal in your tank.

May 11, 2006 Flag

Boating doesn't have to be a pricey business. You don't have to go to the high-priced marine stores for most of your needs. My husband gets everything at the regular hardware store when he can - it's cheaper.

And there's also a brisk trade in USED boat equipment, such as sails, etc. These things are made to LAST - so you can get a lot of use from used items. Also, boats depreciate remarkably quickly - so you can get a really good deal on a used boat - but try to educate yourself and avoid a broker - because their commission will hike up the price.

By Pam from L.A., CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 3, 2006 Flag

You can even save dollars on boating - In a well known marine store I saw boat curtains for $22 for a panel. We used bargain valance ruffles from the dollar store and instead of $100+ for curtains, we got easily installed ones that are perfectly good for $5!

By pam from L.A., CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 14, 2007 Flag

With summer we have been spending a lot of time out on the boat and eating at the expensive restaurants along the river. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for what I could make a head of time (freeze, etc.) during the week to use for meals (sandwiches get boring after awhile) on the boat (so not too complicated) on the weekends? Thanks much for any ideas you have.

Jan from Milwaukee, WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can you find space on the boat for a little hibachi to grill with? the best breakfast I ever had was freshly fried fish, caught just moments earlier, out on the Pacific Ocean.

We have a boat too, and yes, it can get very expensive eating out all the time and boring eating sandwiches/burgers. I have a microwave and toaster oven as well as a two burner stove on the boat. You can make casseroles or one dish meals ahead of time and heat up. This weekend I made a Chicken & Broccoli Braid, Pot Roast, sloppy joe's, hot roast beef and provolone sandwiches and Chicken Wing Dip. Last weekend I made Buffalo wings and Nachos and something else. If you want recipes or other ideas, email me at ahastings7878@comcast.net. I make breakfast on the boat (eggs, potatoes, bacon (fried at home), sausage, pancakes, french toast, fresh fruit, oatmeal, toast). Just takes some pre-planning.

Budget & Finance Saving MoneyJuly 27, 2012
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Quart of Oil, Rag and Funnel
Saving Money on Oil Changes
Wii console and controllers
Saving Money on a Wii
Mare and Foal in a Corral
Saving Money on Horse Boarding
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 11:48:48 AM on 10.0.0.111 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.