Saving Money on Contact Lens Cleaning and Disinfecting Systems

I am looking for a cheaper, more economical contact lens cleaning and disinfecting system than the one I am currently using, which is the Ciba Vision Aosept system. I have soft, daily wear contact lenses, and I am interested in not only a more economical cleaning/disinfecting system, but also in any other money saving contact lens tips the readers may have. Thank you.

Tori

Answers:

I am allergic to most cleaners except the Aeosept. I went to a specialist in contacts and he said I could wash my contacts every day with baking soda and rinse in hot faucet water and soak in saline over night and then disinfect once a week.

I just went last week to get new contacts since I haven't worn them for a few years and now they have the no rub solution and she said that's about all they make and they don't even make the Aeosept any longer.

She said I could do the baking soda rinse and soak overnight in saline if I am allergic to this new no rub solution and not to even worry about disinfecting because you throw the lenses away in a month or so and they have not had any problems with patients. I always wash my hands very well and have had no problems. I am not a doctor, but this has worked for me and my contact specialist sees no problem. (11/26/2004)

By Evelyn

Make your own soft contact lens cleaning solution by first getting a travel cleaning system that uses hydrogen peroxide. Use the enclosed bottle since it has a platinum catalyst. Use standard 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with about 20 grains (tiny pieces ) of pure salt (non-iodized, no anti-caking additive - kosher salt works). This mix will save you hundreds of dollars a year.

Note that you can use a "enzyme" tablet every week or so to prolong the usefulness of soft lenses so you don't have to throw them out so often. (02/20/2009)

By Steven

Cleaning Glasses
Saving Money on Optical Lens Cleaner
Uses for Contact Lens Cases, Green and white contact lens case.
Uses for Contact Lens Cases
Disinfecting Wipes
Reusing Disinfecting Wipes
A woman putting on contact lenses.
Caring for Contact Lenses
🎄