Saving Money on Household Expenses

When you look at your budget closely, there are usually ways to save money on your cost of living. This guide is about saving money on household expenses.

November 11, 2009 Flag

I am naturally frugal by nature and often complain that there are NO new frugal tips and hints. These are not new or difficult ideas BUT they do work for me and are tried and true ways to save money!

Laundry Room

Bathrooms

Kitchen and Pantry

Bedrooms or Living Areas

Entertainment

Shopping

Clothing

Holidays

Crafting

Miscellaneous

I hope a few of these work for you and help you save some of your hard earned money!

Diana from Prospect, KY

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 11 Comments

April 12, 2011 Flag

I am always looking for ways to save money and have compiled a list of the 10 best ways to save.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 10, 2010 Flag

I have always been a thrifty person and actually find it fun to think of ways to recycle things and save money. I'm sure these may not be new ideas to some, but these are a few things that come to mind that will help you save money:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 27, 2015 Flag

Everyone knows that you should change the batteries in your smoke detectors twice a year, at the Daylight Saving time change. It's also good to look for other changes to do as well, those that can "add change" to your bank account.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 22, 2008 Flag

I'm looking for ways to help save money on a tight budget. My wife and I have two young boys and are in the process of buying a new car. We are looking for ways to save money. Can anyone suggest ways to cut costs around the house?

John from Iowa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here's a few ideas:

1. make your own cleaning products (safer for you & the enviroment)

2. use a cell phone plan where you purchase minutes (I bought the phone for $20.00 & $20.00 worth of minutes last me 3 months. Cost per month after the phone purchase is less then $7.00). I figure my other cell phone plan was almost $500.00 per year. This way I am paying about $84.00 per year.

3. Bundle high speed computer, cable, & telphone. All 3 can be as low as $99.00/monthly.

4. Have meat less meals 1 or more times a week.

5. Do only full loads of laundry/dishes. Hang clothes out.

6. Buy a few quality pices of clothing (pants, coats, skirts, whatever) in basic colors (black, navy, brown) & work from there. The quality will last longer.

7. Try to find clothes that don't need to be dry cleaned.

8. Add liquified powdered milk to regular milk. Saves $ & calories.

9. Sell your paperbacks on Amazon.com or eBay (the stuff you sell, as I understand, is not taxble income because it is assumed you sell for less then you paid).

10.Stay out of the stores! Try to grocery shop infrequently.

11. Have a garden - even a pot of tomatoes helps.

12. Keep up your teeth.

13. No manicures/pedicures (saves me about $800.00 a year)

14. Get an easy care hair style.

15. Potluck supper parties.

16. Buy gifts all year when on sale.

17. Smaller gifts with more meaning (pictures, homemade stuff, a special book, etc.)

18. Flexible spending plans at work.

19. Heavier blankets = lower heating costs

20. Less a/c (thermal screens, draw the drapes when the sun is out, close the blinds, close off unused areas of the house when able, higher temperature setting, turn off whole house system or turn down & use window units (I saved a ton on this in Louisiana).

21. Use the crokpot or grill or microwave rather then heating up the house in the summer, the reverse in the winter.

22. Take care of the cars, the heating/cooling systems, etc. They will last longer & run better.

23. get rid of credit cards

24. shop the sales & buy in quantity when it's on sale.

25. eat more beans

That's all I can think of today.

I guess I would have taken the bulb out (I am not sure if that would be safe either), & called someone. It's terrible that new things don't work right anymore.

So many excellent ideas posted here! The first thing I thought when reading your question was the same as a couple of other posts here. DO NOT BUY A NEW CAR unless you truly have your heart set on it because the value drops 'drastically' just driving it off the lot :-( !

Shop around for a a couple to ten year old car (some makes and models are like new even if a decade old) and then have a mechanic thoroughly check out the one you really have your heart set on to make sure no problems before shaking hands on the deal. Also, you will pay 'premium' through a dealer so would be worth your while to shop news ads, keep an eye out for 'for sale signs' in car windows, etc, etc.

Also, if you could hold off a bit longer for a new(er) car, save up your money and pay cash (or at least as much cash as possible)! It's amazing how much finance fees, etc add to the cost of a vehicle.

Oh, and some makes and models of previously owned vehicles do have transferable warranties so be sure to check on that, too :-)

No one has mentioned clothes yet. If you know someone who is the same size as you and your family and gets rid of their clothes, ask them what they are doing with them. I get a lot of "free" clothes that way. I have not had to buy any clothing for years now.(except bras and panties). I was even given socks. I know quite a few people who give clothing away and I always tell them that I will get rid of the clothes for them but let them know that I will be going through them first. I have a complete new wardrobe from 2 years ago. As I get something "new" I get rid of something in my closet to make room for the "new" item. Hope this helps.

I know food is what most people think of scrimping on first, but that's not it. House and car are the two vultures in your finances. Assuming you don't get a divorce ever, that's too famous for being a disaster financially for both. As I'm sure you knew.

Two things we have done in our family:

Home made laundry soap. You can google this and find good recipes. I do laundry for our family of 6. A 5 gallon bucket of this soap lasts us for 6 weeks. It was very inexpensive to make, too.

Also, we cut back on the paper towel usage. I always have kitchen towels hanging up for drying hands, but we were going through lots of paper towels for napkins. So I got some $1/yard fabric at WalMart and cut out big squares (10"x10" or larger) with pinking shears. This eliminated the need to hem. I tried to make enough for a week's worth of meals before having to wash them.

One more thing: eat lots of beans, rice and potatoes. Have breakfast for dinner occasionally. Pancakes and eggs are cheap.

July 21, 2011 Flag

This is not a specific question, we are a one income family, we have 10 (yes ten) children, and I am a stay at home mom. I would love to hear any and all ideas, advice, etc. about things we can do to save money. I try to be thrifty, but with a houseful sometimes it is hard to research and find real ways that truly work. I would love suggestions about laundry and other cleaning products. All other suggestions are welcome also.

Thank you in advance.

By mommiof10 from LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First off, welcome to thrifty fun. You've come to the right site to find many things on saving money,recycling almost anything,fabulous recipes,crafts etc. With your hectic household I hope you find the time to visit here often.You must have a lot to share with us.

I've been on here some six years,raised only 2 kids and have 5 grand kids.I'm still learning new things on here.

Keeper

With laundry, I wonder if you have a clothesline? You can save a lot of money using the dryer less. If you don't like the way some things feel after you hang them dry, you can "fluff" them in the dryer for a few minutes, and still save energy.

If you're not using a crock pot for cooking, it's time! You can cook the lean, less tender, less expensive cuts of meat easily, with minimal electricity and fuss. Recipes are all over the internet. In the warmer weather, small appliances (crock pot, toaster oven, electric griddle, etc.) can be taken outside, under cover if the weather looks like rain, and you can heat your house up less, saving on air conditioning.

Thermostat: 68 in the winter, 78 in the summer. In summer, you can supplement with fans, if necessary.

Here in PA, the pediatricians are starting to revolt against "juice". They would much rather see children drinking water throughout the day. While there are some nutrients in juice, it is basically just fruit-based sugar-water; so you don't have to feel badly limiting your children if they eat a balanced diet. And if they drink soda, you can limit that, too.

Look at the use of disposable products around your home, paper goods, and such. How can you cut back? Sometimes it is not worth it, but sometimes we (and our kids) get over-dependent on things--like paper towel, paper plates, etc. A small dishpan with clean, soapy water can be kept in the sink with a kitchen sponge in it for quick clean ups.

I think you will find lots of ideas on this bulletin board. It's a great springboard.

Also, if you can, try to record every cent you spend for a month. (You can employ one of your kids to help you do this.) Look at where the money is going and look at what is necessity vs. non-necessity. It might open your eyes. (And you cannot necessarily go by what others see as important.) At our home, we do not have cable TV, but we do have internet. We don't belong to a pool, but a friend with many children does--for her it is important, and ends up saving them money on other entertainments, etc. But only you can scrutinize your own spending!

Welcome to Thrifty Fun - you'll find gobs and gobs of great hints and ideas! You can also access, when you have some extra time!, past posts that have relevant information. When it comes time for gift giving, be sure to look at some fabulous and frugal hand-made treasures. Good luck and God Bless as you raise your wonderful family!

Thanks to all of you for your response. I hope yall are right and I find a lot of useful tips here. Yes I am in the process of putting up a clothes line, I have wanted one for years, I know it will definitely help. I will be visiting here every chanceI get, which is usually at 5am every morning before the children are up and moving, or after 9pm, which is after they are asleep. I look forward to many more tips to try. I would love a good recipe for liquid laundry detergent and fabric softener. Home made cleaning products would be nice too. It sems that we spend more on household cleaning products and personal care items than we do on food. I think ( and hope ) that simpler is better. Any ideas would be great.

I found this recipe at a local farm store for laundry detergent. I have used it a few times. 1/3 bar Fels Naptha laundry bar soap (grated)

1/2 c Borax laundry booster

1/2 c washing soda

2 gallon bucket

Grate 1/3 Fels Naptha bar soap and put in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups of water and heat until soap melts. Add washing soda and borax. Stir til dissolved. Pour 4 cups hot water into 2 gallon bucket. Add soap mixture. Add 1 gallon and 6 cups of water and stir. Let stand for 24 hours and soap will semi gel. Use 1/2 cup to each load.

I added extra because I have a large family and large capacity washer. You can judge how much you want to use.

If you have time, coupons also help us with our growing family. You can find lots of them on the internet and in the Sunday paper maybe more often depending on where you live.

God bless you and your family!

February 8, 2010 Flag

Here are a few easy ideas to save a few pennies.

By skibum1910 from Prospect, KY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments
Budget & Finance Saving MoneyDecember 30, 2013
Wedding Expenses
Wedding Expenses: Who Should Pay?
Energy Saving Tips
Energy Saving Tips
A variety of sports equipment
Saving Money on Sports Equipment for School
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 12, 2017 at 11:13:53 AM on 10.0.0.54 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.