Saving Money on Movie Rentals

Category Movies
This is a guide about saving money on movie rentals. Whether online, in a store or a vending machine, there are many ways to save when renting movies.

I have had a Netflix membership for several years now and I have really enjoyed it. Their system fits my lifestyle very well; no late fees, online access, etc. But the one thing that I haven't really been able to take advantage of is their streaming Instant Movies. I haven't owned a bluray (or other streaming device) so we could only watch the movies on the computer. We figured out how to attach the computer to the TV but it wasn't really worth all the hassle.

But now, anyone with a Wii that is connected to the internet can stream movies! If you have a Netflix account, just log on and request your disk.

If you haven't tried Netflix, you might consider it. I pay $8.99 a month for unlimited movies (1 at a time) and that includes unlimited streaming movies. Unlike many companies, they seem to be making their service more and more accessible. I've paid for lost disks and then found them. When I returned them, I was automatically credited. I have no complaints about their turnarounds and I have nearly always gotten any movie I wanted without a wait.

By Jess

We are trying to find out what is needed exactly to hook up our t.v. to our comp. to watch streaming from Netflix, other than Wii and such devices, are there just cables that can be used? If so, how do I find out which ones and how to hook them up? Thanks much, sue to you

Tips for saving money on movie rentals as suggested by the ThriftyFun community.

Go To The Library

We save money on movie rentals by going to our local library and checking them out. You also get to keep them longer without worrying about late fees.

By Julie

Library DVDs

We just had some work done on our computer hard drive and had a DVD player installed. Now we plan on borrowing DVD's from our public library. You can't get any more frugal than that!

By MCW

Share With Friends

I have friends that borrow movies from me, as I have a very big collection. I have both VHS and DVD. All my friends have to do is ask to borrow them. The only condition is that if they are lost, damaged, or otherwise unusable that they have to buy or get another one.

I have only had it happen to one DVD which someone kept because they wanted the movie (not my friend but a roommate).

By JMRoss

Rent From Your Local Store

Rather than spending the money to go to the movies, our family goes to our local store and rents movies. A big savings!

By Robin

Try Redbox

Redbox at grocery stores and McDonald's is $1.00 a night on new releases.

By lzbrook

Redbox Is Convenient

I use Redbox, located at McDonald's and Wal-Marts. If you sign up for text messaging, they will send you a link every Monday for a FREE rental. And right now through March, they have been running a special. If you are a registered user, you can go to the site and get a FREE rental on Wednesdays through March also.

Just be sure to get them back on time so you don't have to pay. You will still have to run your debit or credit card through. But even if you don't get it back on time, it is only $1 a day to rent. Redbox is about the only way we rent movies anymore, unless my husband wants to browse for more then he will go to a brick and mortar store. I don't like to because I am too frugal.

By Darlenedawn

Explore All Your Free Alternatives

Don't rent movies. Try borrowing movies from friends and family. Libraries have a good selection of movies that are OK for kids too. Our cable has "On Demand" and you can pick through lots of movies to watch and they're free. If you have cable, check into that.

By BrookesMommy

Have Neighborhood Movie Weekends

If you are close to one or two of your nearest neighbors, you could have a movie weekend. We use to do this all the time. One week, a family would rent 4-5 movies and we would watch them and walk them back and forth to each other's houses. The next week, someone else would be the renter. That way we all got to see the movies in the comfort of our own homes. Very economical too.

By Tarra

Trade With a Friend

Many movie rental places rent the movies out for two overnights or more. Why not trade movies with a friend? You both could see lots of movies that way, for very little cost.

By Johnsonya

Watch Movies On Your Computer

If you have broadband internet, you can watch free movies on Hulu.com. Also rent from Netflix, there are a lot of free movies, besides the paid ones you can watch instantly. Your library is a good resource, too

By evie5200

Do you have any advice to share? Post your ideas below.

We also pick up movies we love at garage sales and at the local church thrift store for $1-2 each. Many of these are on VHS, but it's a great way to get classic Disney, etc. so that my 3-yr. old granddaughter can watch them over and over and over. : )