Saving Money on Onions

Category Saving Money
Buying onions in season and storing properly can help you save money. This is a guide about saving money on onions.

If you need only half of an onion, use the non-root half. Save the root half as it will last longer.

By Brenda

good idea, never thought of that!

Tips and ideas for saving money on onions from the ThriftyFun community.

Grow Your Own

I purchase onion sets in the spring, and push them into the soil in a small garden bed. If you stagger the planting, you can have fresh green onions any time you want.

Or you can allow them to grow larger and dig them in the fall. You can store them in old pantyhose. Drop in an onion, tie a knot, drop in another onion, tie another knot.

By Barb in Tennessee

Storing Onions

Buy in bulk, dice, blanche, and freeze. Store others whole in basement or fridge. Buy at roadside stands in season.

By kibby

Weigh Bags of Onions

When you buy in a mesh bag (which has a fixed price), weigh using the produce and see which one weighs the most. If I use 1/2 an onion, I store the other half in a container in the refrigerator and use it the next time I need some chopped onion or fried sliced onions.

By LadyD

Frozen Onions

I was always throwing unused onions away that had gone bad. Now I stock up when 16oz bags of frozen onions are on sale. This way I always have them in the house and there is no waste.

By Theresa

Refrigerate Them

Store them in the refrigerator! They last so much longer and don't sprout.

By Carol

Dehydrating Onions

I buy big bags of onions in the fall and spend a day chopping and dehydrating them. I store them in quart jars and have onions for cooking all winter long for very little money. I take some of the fresh ones and store them in my pantry. In the spring, if I still have some I will dehydrate them for the summer cooking. I can usually buy a 50 pound bag for $3-$6 in the fall, that's a lot of savings.

By Dameemag

Freeze Onions

Please consider blanching and freezing extra onions in zip-top bags when purchased on sale. Your local library should also have a book to loan entitled, "Will It Freeze?" with advice on virtually everything that can freeze and how to properly store it. A wonderful book to check out!

By tuck-tuck mama

Here's a tips for Freezing Onions:

My Onion Flowerbed

I grow winter onions in my flowerbed. It is like having big green onions all the time. I always leave some out there and they go to seed, fall over and grow new ones - it might not be the prettiest flowerbed, but it is one of the tastiest.

By Theresa

I grow my own, not from store bought sets but from the last half inch of the brown, red or white onion, when I chop my onion I leave the root portion on, when I get down to that last half inch (making sure it hasn't cut into the tough part of the bottom) I will stick it in the garden, if I have onions that are starting to go bad I will just take the whole thing and push it in the ground in the garden, these have been known to make up to 5 individual onions, I do the same with my green onions, I just leave the last inch and plant in the garden so just the very top is sticking out and in no time flat I have a whole of crop onions, if you let a couple of them go to seed, You'll have onion seeds for the several years, but you cannot do this to garlic, you have to plant a whole clove.