Saving Money on Onions

Buying onions in season and storing properly can help you save money. This is a guide about saving money on onions.

May 2, 2008 Flag

Tips and ideas for saving money on onions from the ThriftyFun community.

Grow Your Own

I purchase onion sets in the spring, and push them into the soil in a small garden bed. If you stagger the planting, you can have fresh green onions any time you want.

Or you can allow them to grow larger and dig them in the fall. You can store them in old pantyhose. Drop in an onion, tie a knot, drop in another onion, tie another knot.

By Barb in Tennessee

Storing Onions

Buy in bulk, dice, blanche, and freeze. Store others whole in basement or fridge. Buy at roadside stands in season.

By kibby

Weigh Bags of Onions

When you buy in a mesh bag (which has a fixed price), weigh using the produce and see which one weighs the most. If I use 1/2 an onion, I store the other half in a container in the refrigerator and use it the next time I need some chopped onion or fried sliced onions.

By LadyD

Frozen Onions

I was always throwing unused onions away that had gone bad. Now I stock up when 16oz bags of frozen onions are on sale. This way I always have them in the house and there is no waste.

By Theresa

Refrigerate Them

Store them in the refrigerator! They last so much longer and don't sprout.

By Carol

Dehydrating Onions

I buy big bags of onions in the fall and spend a day chopping and dehydrating them. I store them in quart jars and have onions for cooking all winter long for very little money. I take some of the fresh ones and store them in my pantry. In the spring, if I still have some I will dehydrate them for the summer cooking. I can usually buy a 50 pound bag for $3-$6 in the fall, that's a lot of savings.

By Dameemag

Freeze Onions

Please consider blanching and freezing extra onions in zip-top bags when purchased on sale. Your local library should also have a book to loan entitled, "Will It Freeze?" with advice on virtually everything that can freeze and how to properly store it. A wonderful book to check out!

By tuck-tuck mama

Here's a tips for Freezing Onions:

My Onion Flowerbed

I grow winter onions in my flowerbed. It is like having big green onions all the time. I always leave some out there and they go to seed, fall over and grow new ones - it might not be the prettiest flowerbed, but it is one of the tastiest.

By Theresa

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments
Budget & Finance Saving MoneyJuly 27, 2014
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Photo of an onion harvest.
Harvesting Onions
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 7:22:10 AM on 10.0.2.225 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.