Saving Money on Tires

Category Maintenance
Tires in Shopping Cart
Keeping your vehicle safe by having good tread on your tires can be expensive, but there are ways to save on your purchase. This guide is about saving money on tires.

Tips for saving money on tires.

Tire Warranties

If you are a commuter and would like to save money on tires, make sure you buy tires with a mileage warranty and follow the warranty rules. Most commuters, especially on rural roads, wear out tires well before the warranty period has ended. When they look worn, have them replaced through the warranty and they will pro-rate your new tires every time!

By Chrissy

Rotate Your Tires

Rotate your tires every 2 oil changes and they will last a lot longer. That should be every 6000 miles.

By Anders35

Air Pressure

Keep the tires inflated to the correct air pressure so they wear evenly.

By Suzin

Junk Yards

Head to the junk yard to buy tires. They have brand new smashed vehicles. You can get brand new tires at a fraction of the cost.

By C Tewksbury

$20 Tires

I bought all 4 tires from the junkyard at around $20 a tire. All are like NEW. I then paid to have them put on at about $6 each. They balance for the $6. I usually try to rotate a few times a year which helps with the wear and tear . Of course you should have your car alignment done to help them wear better also.

By Esther from Plainfield, Ohio

Tire Repairs

If you buy tires from tire chains like Big-O or Les Schwab Tires they will usually fix your tires for free. Also, make sure to read and keep your warranty information handy in you glove box and try to return to the place that you purchased the tires for repairs.

Don't let tire sales people sell you on fancy rims or more tire than you need. If you only plan on having your car for a year, you don't need a top of the line tire.

Post your ideas.

I learned my lesson the hard way. Don't use the metal valve caps on your tires. It can end up costing you a lot of money!

I had a low tire and went to air it up. My valve caps were the fancy metal ones with a chrome finish on the outside. I could not get the valve cap off. So, I drove on my low tire to the tire shop a few blocks away. They also could not get it off. In order to repair my tire (I had a nail in it), they had to force it off, and that damaged the valve stem. With most cars made after 2000, the low tire sensors are in the valve stems. So, that damaged my sensor. I ended up having to get a new tire and new sensor and it was not cheap.

The tire shop told me that they see a lot of metal valve caps that corrode during the winter due to the salt on the roads. When I got home, my husband checked my other tires, and two of those were difficult to get off. The insides of the caps were a green color and had a build up in them. The next day he said something to a mechanic where he works, and the mechanic said that was a common problem with the metal caps, especially during the winter when exposed to salt or other ice melting chemicals on the roadway.

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh0 found this helpful

It's not the best news that you've heard when your auto mechanic tells you to replace your car's tires. It's essential, and it's a several hundred dollars investment. Is there a way to save on the new tires? Even better, is there a way to make them last longer? The good news is that there is.

Tire Longevity

Maintaining proper tire health can add to the life of your tires as well as save on fuel. Checking your tires weekly to make sure that they're properly inflated can save on unnecessary wear if they are underinflated. Less than ideal tire pressure puts tires at risk for damage while driving, especially when potholes come into play. Likewise, if your tires roll across the road smoothly, the car uses less gas to propel it. So, take the time to fill your tires weekly and pay a little less.

Balance

Wheel alignment and tire balancing is something that a professional must do, and he/she'll charge for it. However, it will be worth it in tire longevity. If tires wear unevenly with one tire or one pair of tires wearing differently than the rest, your car is out of alignment. Tires that wear with odd patterns rather than consistently around are out of balance. Ask your mechanic to repair these problems at a low price to reduce the need for a higher priced tire replacement later.

Check for Leaks

If you suspect that your tire has a leak, put an end to it immediately. Don't pay to have a professional look for the leak if you can find it yourself. Either take the tire off the car and submerge it in water, looking for the bubbles to appear at the leak, or apply dish soap to the suspected area and look for bubbles to appear if there is a leak.

Rotate Regularly

Even with proper maintenance, tire rotation is essential for healthy tires. It's rare to have a car perfectly aligned and perfectly balanced, so tires will wear at different rates. Rotating tires helps to create a more balanced wear on all the tires. It's not a bad idea to rotate them with the seasons, once in spring and once in fall.

New Tires

If you need new tires, watch for the sales. It's not uncommon to find sales that offer four tires for the price of three. Avoid sales that boast of free maintenance or free balancing; the maintenance and balancing of tires isn't a great expense, and you'll do better to wait for a better sale.

When purchasing the tires, stay with the original style and size of your vehicle. Also, high performance tires usually aren't needed, though they are more expensive. Despite their name, high performance tires wear quicker than regular tires. Heavy vehicles, such as trucks, require steel belted tires to get the longest lifespan of the tires.

This is a guide about buying blemished tires. Great tips for when you are in the market for new tires but don't care about a scuff or two.

A line of tires for sale at a tire store.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes