Saving Money on Vegetables

Fresh vegetables.
Fresh vegetables are often less expensive than buying their canned or otherwise processed counterparts. However, their cost can still add up if you don't look for good bargains. This is a guide about saving money on vegetables.

Tips and ideas for saving money on vegetables.

Buying Bags of Carrots

When you buy fresh carrots - or any produce sold in 1 lb, 5 lb, etc. bags, weigh several of what appear to be the heaviest bags. Buy the heaviest one. You can often get about 1/2 pound more of the produce than the label says! Good luck!

By Lizzie

Freezing

I watch sales closely and purchase what I haven't been able to grow myself. I buy celery and dice it, put it in plastic bags and freeze it. I do the same with carrots and onions and bell peppers. You can lay them out flat to freeze then put them in bags and they're easier to use just a few.

By Glenn's Mom

Farmer's Markets

Since it isn't possible to grow much of my own, I seriously hit farm stands and farmer's markets during the 'in' seasons; then freeze and/or can as much as possible. I personally find grocery store produce way over priced and flavorless compared to seasonal veggies.

By Doodles

Many Sources for Veggies

I grow what I can, and can or freeze. I try to get as much out of the garden as I possibly can. My goal is to eventually have it to last us a year, but I have a ways to go on that yet.

When you find fruits or veggies at a price too good to pass up, and you have the storage room, buy in bulk and stock up. If you freeze them, remember veggies keep their texture and taste better if you blanch them before freezing.

Farmers markets are a good shopping source. Also, check the for sale ads in little farm town papers. Many farmers sell excess produce.

Another good source to find farm fresh veggies for sale could be your county extension office. Many know of a 4H kid who is selling part of their crop (or even eggs).

You don't have to put up food in large scales. When I see peppers marked down to 20 cents each, I buy a few and dice them up, then blanch. I pat dry, then put in a large freezer bag for use on pizza, chili, omelets. I just grab a handful as needed.

Also, check your fridge on a regular base. Use up food or freeze it before it goes bad. It does not gain you anything if you buy it cheap, but let it go to waste.

By Mom-from-missouri

Green Bags

I brought those Debbie Mayer Green Bags for $20.00 and they are great. When you are done with them you just rinse them out and reuse again. You put your veggies or fruit and fold over and they stay fresh. I should know, I left a head of lettuce in the fridge for weeks and if was still good. It is worth the money

By Dietvanilla

Vegetable Soup

After dinner, we put the leftover spoonful or two of vegetables (not broccoli) or rice in a plastic container or bag and freeze it. We keep adding to the bag or container until it gets full. Then we make vegetable soup for free.

By Lavendergal

Also See:

My daughter likes the variety of cut up vegetables that come in a large sectioned, nifty plastic, re-sealable container. I noticed that it had pretty much the same veggies as the $3 bag of stir fry, also by Taylor Farms.

I became tired of throwing away green and red peppers because they either didn't get used or started to go bad. Now I chop them up or cut into strips and put them in freezer bags to take out anytime I need some. Now I make a habit of bringing home a bag of onions and doing the same with half of them. It also saves time when you have to cook after work!

When I am getting ready to do a food order, either by going to the supermarket or by using a home delivery service, I look through my fridge and the vegetable bins. There are always some things that need to be thrown away, and some things that can be saved. This not only gives you an idea of what you need and getting your fridge ready for fresh food coming.

I take the celery, cut it into large chunks and and separate the leaves for use in soups. These each get put into a zipper bag. Loose baby carrots, I put them in a plastic bag. Sometimes if I have an open package of carrots, I will cut them in chunks, put them in a bag. These are all put in the same place together to be used first. I sort the left over onions and remove that crispy outer layer and throw that away. If just a few, I put them in a mesh bag (from onions). If my broccoli looks like it's on it's way out, but still too fresh to throw, I cut the tops and a few pieces of stalk, and rinse them and put them in a baggie, and use them within 2 days. Now, I am ready to shop for fresh produce.

Put those little packages, that come in everything (moisture preventing) in your crispers. It keeps all you keep there, lettuce etc. fresher for a much longer time.

Visit fruit and vegetable markets and check out their marked down bins for slightly bruised and immediate use items at discount prices!