Saving Money on Wedding Photos

Wedding Photo
Wedding photos are a significant portion of the cost of a wedding. This is a guide about saving money on wedding photos.

If you want a professional photographer at your wedding but can't afford one, contact a local university's photography department for a starving student who might do it for less. Also you might persuade that student, or another beginning photographer to take the pictures but give you the negatives, or images on a disk, if digital. You have them developed at a later date when you have more money. You pay the photographer for his time, but not the prints. A well established photographer is NOT going to go for this, but a beginning photographer might be willing.

By Mom from Huntsville, TX

Wedding plans take a lot of time, dedication, patience and commitment. Sort of like marriage. In the end it is all worth it. The memories will be permanently embedded in your minds.

Finding your soul mate gives you all the security you will ever need in life. To spend your life with your best friend is the best gift of all.

These lovely pictures were taken by a family member:

By Mrs. Anna Rodriguez

This is one of my favorite pictures of my son's wedding. The photographer said this was very easy to do and could be done with any picture that he took. He used a digital camera to take all the wedding pictures. Just thought I'd share with this year's brides-to-be.

By Patty from Turbotville, PA

I try to think of poses that are not seen in your typical wedding albums, something unique to the bride and groom that will set them apart from the rest.

By Tangi from Winston, GA

When I got married, I had a college photography student take the professional pictures, so I paid less. Then I asked 6 friends if they could spend the day taking pictures they thought were interesting. I told the friends not to waste film on standard pictures (Ex: feeding the cake, daddy's little girl dance, the garter, etc). This was 25 years ago and I'm still glad I did it this way. You wouldn't believe the pictures I ended up with. I mean, one person can't be everywhere. And I had over 100 pictures to choose from besides the professional ones.

By LRP from MA

Contact your local colleges' Audio/Visual department and see if you can send an email to the group (a secretary will usually send it for you) of students in the photography program about photographing your wedding!

Usually the fees will be at least half of what a "professional" photographer will charge, and a lot of the students have experience shooting weddings and can show you their work!

By Eileen from Washington, DC

I am looking for ideas for getting wedding photography that doesn't cost an absolute fortune. I don't have any friends who are good photographers and I would really like to have professional posed picture done as well as the usual candids you get when you put the little disposable cameras on the tables.

Anyone in Boston know a good yet inexpensive photographer? Anyone else know how to find one?

Thanks!
Kim from Boston, Ma

Best Answer

Someone gave me this tip -- go to a photo studio and have a posed picture done in your wedding wear. This way, you will have some nice poses to hang on the wall, without a lot of money spent on having the photographer come to the event. For the candid pictures, place disposable cameras around and have your relatives take the pictures.

Best Answer

Is there a place that teaches photography in your area? Maybe one of their better students would enjoy the experience for their portfolio. Good Luck.

Best Answer

Wedding pictures are too important to leave to someone who has no experience. If you don't have much money, call around and get one of the most inexpensive but experienced, professional wedding photographers.