Saving Money on Winter Clothing

Winter Hat and Gloves
If you are trying to rein in your clothing budget, winter clothing purchases is one place to start. This is a guide about saving money on winter clothing.

Christmas is over and we have several weeks more of cold wintry weather. Here are ideas for saving money on warm winter clothes as suggested by the ThriftyFun community.

Check Sale Racks For Next Year's Sizes

If you have kids, watch the sales racks for sweaters, snow pants and other cold weather clothing. Stores want to clear out the winter stuff after Christmas to make way for the spring fashions. Buy a size too big, even two if it is a good deal. Just be sure to pick neutral colors and styles. Then pack them away until next fall, when you can take stock of what you might still need.

By Jess_admin

Buy Thrift Clothes Off Season Or Make Your Own

The best tip I have is to buy warm clothes off season. I got a deal on a ski sweater at a thrift clothing store because I bought it when it was much too warm to wear it! My nicest sweaters these days have come from thrift shops, too! You should also try to buy classic pieces that can be worn for years. Also, knit/make your own scarves and hats. It is really quite easy and they make nice gifts.

By Pamphyila

Sweat Suits at the Dollar Store

I buy sweats suits (jogging suits) at Dollar store, they are very warm and last a long time.

By Kathleen

Layering Is Warm, Thrifty and Fashionable

Also take advantage of layering. Fashion magazines and catalogs often show women wearing a shirt, covered by v-neck sweater, with a blazer on top. Other times of the year that's too warm, but I worked with my wardrobe and found some great combos for this time of year!

For outerwear, a medium weight coat is often warm enough when I'm wearing a top covered with a hooded sweatshirt underneath. In summary, you may be able to get by without purchasing too many new items for your family if they wear multiple layers.

Stay warm!

By Straightace

Swap With Other Moms

I swap clothes that have become to small since the first of school with other moms. I get lots of hand me downs and some brand new that another person didn't want from Christmas. We pick up the cute Christmas tees in a size for next year for $1-2 and save them back.

Remember when your little girl is going to teen sizes, little boys still have bigger t-shirt options available. Instead of a size medium Junior girls shirt, we buy boys XL 18-20 t-shirts. Lots of long sleeve shirts in the almost current size, if they can have sleeves shortened, we buy them for spring.

We share the dress shoes that are only worn to church and concerts. They are not worn out and additional $10-15 for spring concert outfit isn't always accessible. I also hunt down and donate snow boots. We live in a cold climate, but snow is very few days out of the year, so the boots are like brand new with a wet rag cleaning.

We buy thrift store shirts and craft new clothes from them. I search REI-Oulet.com for sportswear and shoes in their markdowns. Quality clothes and shoes she has been able to wear and wear out.

I'm always looking for black wool type coats in the next size for dress and church needs. The sizes in misses and girls clothing overlap quite a bit and I got a size 6 women's coat for my size 16 girls clothes girl and it fits great. Covers the pretty dresses to the hem and looks fabulous.

By Mama2one

Always Buy Off Season

Always buy at the end of season for the next year. I have purchased $70 sweaters for $5 after Christmas when retailers are desperate to clean out their supply before their inventory.

By Monnat96

Do you have any more tips to share? Post your own tips below.

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh0 found this helpful

As summer comes to a close many delve into closets to wake the warmer clothing from its summer hibernation. Yet, while adults can pack away summer clothes for next year, children often outgrow their summer clothes before another summer season arrives. How can one get the most wear from summer clothing that isn't outgrown yet? Create frugal yet fun styles.

Shirts

Whether it's a vacation souvenir or a classic slogan tee, t-shirts fill children's dresser drawers. When the cold weather comes knocking, create a layered look for your child and get some more wear out of the t-shirts. Invest in a few cheap, long-sleeve t-shirts to put underneath the summer tees. Turtlenecks can be worn as well. By purchasing a few basic black, white, navy, or gray long-sleeve shirts, a variety of top tees can be worn without looking like the same outfit each week. This eliminates the need for many of the more expensive long-sleeved shirts as well. The look works well for both boys and girls.

Shorts

Shorts are a bit trickier to work into the winter wardrobe. If the child is involved in an indoor winter sport such as indoor soccer or basketball, the shorts and t-shirts can easily be put to use. However, in everyday fashion, shorts aren't practical.

For girls, try layering some shorts under school skirts. They'll keep her warmer at the bus stop and allow her to move around freely without worrying about "ladylike" postures. Of course, not all short styles will work, but one or two pairs might get some extra usage. Another option is to wear the shorts with a sweater and some thick leggings for a modern layered look.

The best use for shorts in the winter is to turn the elastic waist styles into pajamas. Paired with a fuzzy sweatshirt and some fun socks, these make comfortable sleeping attire. Children's pajamas are so expensive, this option not only gets more wear from previous garments but also allows parents to save money on sleepwear.

Tanks

For girls and boys alike, finding a second use for tank tops isn't difficult in the winter. Layered under sweaters, the tanks provide an itch barrier. Wear them under button up shirts for a nice look and extra warmth. Added to some thinner long-sleeved shirts, they provide extra layers in the winter months.

Some children remain warm and snug under winter covers. If this is your child, consider having him/her sleep in a tank top and lounge pants or even shorts. Other children snuggle under the covers in cooler homes that set the heat lower in the evenings. Try layering a tank as an undershirt beneath pajamas to create extra body heat.

Tank tops are also useful for the sick child. When chest rubs can stain pajamas, use a tank top underneath to catch the transfer. The layers can also come in handy when a fever approaches, allowing for the addition or subtraction of layers quickly.

While sandals and swimsuits may have to say goodbye once the leaves begin to fall, other garments can find some winter use.

This is a tip that arose as yet another concession to my oldness.

A few years ago I grabbed a lovely white long sleeve blouse off a sale rack. The first time I tried to wear it, I discovered that my weight gain was such that it looked trashy across my chest when I tried to close it. I hung it up and pretty much forgot about it.

I have lost some weight and am in process of assembling some outfits for my new church. It is colder in Tennessee than in Houston where I was before.

I found this blouse and it fits, but I just noticed that it has tiny baby clothes buttons. There is no way I'll be able to get up early enough to button that shirt. The weight of the fabric and the ruffles (not lace but self fabric) on the front will allow me to use it as a jacket or over shirt. It's white so I can wear it with anything, thereby creating several outfits, not just one. I have several white shells so they will look nice.

If you don't want to buy snow pants, just spray an old pair of jeans with water repellant. Wear a pair of long johns underneath to help keep you warm.