Saving Money on Your Phone Bill

We all want to save on our utilities. This guide is about saving money on your phone bill.

June 18, 2008 Flag

I just wanted to share what I recently did to cut phone and internet costs. I signed up with ATT but I chose only the minimum phone line with no extras for $14.95+ tax. I don't need caller ID, call waiting, etc. It was costing me $43.00+ a month just for the phone. I use my cell phone mostly anyway but wanted a land line, too.

I chose the cheapest high speed internet which is $19.95+. I was paying $23.90 for AOL for the past 5 yrs and that was just for the dialup service not including have a phone line.

I chose not to add ATT as my long distance carrier because I have unlimited weekend and after 9:00pm calling on my cell phone. I just call on the weekends or after 9:00pm.

I purchase long distance calling cards at Dollar Tree, 99 minutes for $1.00. Of course, they don't let you use them at pay phones, I don't think, but that way in case of an emergency, I can call someone during the day or if I'm on vacation and don't want to use my cell phone minutes or am close to going over my cell phone minutes, etc.

I also send these cards to my friends and relatives in letters or cards so they can call me on the cheap. You never know if someone's financial picture can keep them from calling or not. But those 99 minute phone cards can let us stay in touch more often. A lot of my friends and family never heard of Dollar Tree until I tell them in my letter and phone calls so I am spreading my frugal tips that way too.

By Evey from Manvel, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 8 Comments

July 22, 2008 Flag

Does anyone know of any phone companies that will give you residential phone service without having to pay up front or use a credit card or have a bank account? A lot of phone companies say no credit check or deposit then they tell you how much you have to pay to get your home phone on. Thanks

Sherry

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you checked with the cell phone companies? You can also get digital phone service with most highspeed internet companies. Comcast, Time Warner Cable for example. All the ones which have a modem hook up for cable and internet. The monthly charge is usually less than other companies and they have unlimited LD in US and Canada. You just call and tell them you want the service.

magicjack.com

I have never paid a deposit or fee to start land line service. In San Diego my carrier is Cox and prior to that AT &T.

December 2, 2012 Flag

I got rid of my landline phone 2 years ago. I use a track phone for regular phone use, but cost wise it's the same as the landline in the end. I don't have a computer. I have read about Straight Call and Vonage, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel a bit unsafe not having a landline. Call quality on a cell phone is not great either. Thank you.

By Sandy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Walmart has been advertising a device called Straight Talk Home Phone. It's $99.00 for the device and the service is $15.00 per month. There's always Magic Jack, but you need a router to use it and a computer for set up.

Budget & Finance Saving MoneyDecember 5, 2012
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Cell Phone User Making call with Card
Saving Money on Phone Cards
Stack of Old Phone Books
Uses for Old Phone Books
Insulating Your Home, Insulation Ready to Be Installed
Insulating Your Home
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 1:02:44 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.