Saving Money on a Wedding Dress

Every woman wants to look beautiful on their wedding day. Finding the perfect wedding dress can be time consuming and expensive. There are many ways you can save money on a wedding dress. This guide is about saving money on a wedding dress.

July 25, 2007 Flag

When I got married, OK, it was 10 years ago and it wasn't for the first or last time, but let's skip over that part. Great wedding though, and my dress has an interesting story. You see, it began life as a brocade formal pants suit, of 1960's vintage. I found it at an antiques show, and while I detest the pants suit in general, I thought it was beautiful and had an attractive neckline. So, with a little help from my mother-in-law, it was turned into a dress (let's just say there was plenty of material in the legs!).

She added a simple tulle train to the back. I took it home, and spent quite a few evenings stitching pretty crystal beads on the brocade at the neck and bust area. It looked very beautiful and expensive, and cost probably $50.00 ($20.00 for the pants suit, $10.00 in tulle, and $20.00 in beads) and I recently saw a dress in a bridal show that looked a great deal like it for around $2800.00. I still have the dress, if not the husband!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 11 Comments

August 31, 2009 Flag

I purchased a beautiful wedding dress and saved a lot of money by purchasing a white prom dress. Yes, these days prom dresses are available in so many colors and sizes that if you want something elegant yet simple, it fits the bill.

By Routtingaround from Steamboat, CO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

March 3, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about buying a used wedding dress. For the bride on a budget a used wedding dress option allows for buying the perfect dress for less.

White wedding dress on black dress form against white background

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 14, 2004 Flag

Considering many dresses carry price tags of a thousand dollars or more it pays to do your homework when shopping for a wedding dress. These tips should help you in that process.

Find One in the Family

Many people save their wedding dresses. There may be several people in your family that would be willing to loan or give you their dress. Obviously, it has to be a style that you want to wear. But if you like the style you probably can have it altered to fit.

Rent a Dress

The ability to rent a wedding is becoming more and more common. This allows you to get the dress of your dreams without having to pay the purchase price.

Make a Dress

Find a pattern and fabric and either make it yourself or have someone else do it.

Shop Around

The first thing you should do is find a style of wedding dress that you love. Once you have chosen a style that will make you look your best there are a number of places to look for your dress and get a discounted price.

1. Shop Online: You can buy both new and used dresses online at discount prices. You can also test your luck with Ebay.
  2. Consignment Shops: While you are looking for a dress a lot of other people are cleaning out their closets and selling theirs. Consignment shops offer a good opportunity versus buying online because you can view the dresses in person and try them on before buying.
  3. Discount Stores: Bridal discount stores and outlets also offer an opportunity to find dress for less than retail.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 6 Comments

March 17, 2006 Flag

Don't feel you have to spend a lot on a wedding dress. The First one for me was a version of my grandmother's wedding dress. And the second was a long green linen dress for a garden wedding I got in a thrift shop for $4. No one could tell the difference!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 28, 2007 Flag

It's my advice to all brides that they don't buy very expensive langa for their marriage. It's better to buy a different colour langa which can be worn on other occasions also, so that, after the wedding, you don't feel that you can't wear your marriage langa on particular occasions.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 26, 2011 Flag

I recently bought a plain wedding dress. In an attempt to save money, I am interested in adding jewels to it myself to make it a bit more glamorous. Where can I find/buy the materials to do this (jewels, glue, etc.) and does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to go about doing it?

By Justine

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and JoAnn Fabrics for supplies and clerks who actually know how to do what you want to do-they'll be able to give you great advice, too.

Best wishes on your marriage, and good on you for going creatively frugal with the wedding dress, that's a great way to start married life:)

You can buy jeweled lace and other similar things at Jo Ann's fabrics. You can also order Jo Ann's fabrics on line. At the store they offer free advice and help with projects like yours. Good luck. I wouldn't glue onto the dress. Whatever you want on the dress should be stitched.

I redid my sisters revow dress, but it already had some things on it. What I found is that if the dress has any form like an asymetrical side, a bodice that is drop waisted, etc, that is where you want your accents.

Her's had some imperfections on it, so to make it all look the same, I covered them all with the same embellishment. I did use glitter glue, but I have been crafting for years so I am pretty good at it. If you are a novice, then they are right, stick to stitching, esp' if you have time.

There are indeed some lovely laces and edgings out there that would really doll up a plain dress. I actually crocheted some edgings for a dress one time, and it turned out great.

Believe it or not, thrift shops and such can be the best place to find cool things. I got a dress once that netted me 4.5 yards of lace, a rhinestone brooch, some satin and pearl buttons...all for 5.00

I put together some of the lace I have for my crafts, just to give you an idea of what is out there. Hope this helps. PBP

You can get lace with sequins. Organza in Ivory with sequins and glass beads or pearl beads will give it a more elegant look .Have a look at some bridal magazines and you can get ideas and your imagination will run. It will work out cheaper.

November 3, 2011 Flag

Do you know any sites that are good at replica wedding dresses?

By Anna from Seattle, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Weddings DressesJuly 7, 2011
selecting a wedding dress
Selecting a Wedding Dress
Buying a Used Wedding Dress
Two tiered wedding cake with flowers on top.
Saving Money on a Wedding Cake
Buying a Wedding Dress Online
Buying a Wedding Dress Online
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 20, 2017 at 2:17:25 PM on 10.0.2.150 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.