Savings Container For Spare Change

Savings Container

A great way to save! I take a large container, any type will do. I cut a hole in the top about the size of a quarter and super glue the top on. What goes in the container, stays in the container. I put my pocket change in this container all year. I also might put in money from rebates, part of any mad money I come across. Sometimes, I just make a small donation. My husband contributes as well. We cut open the container once a year and take a small holiday. We usually have between $300 - $500 saved. One year we had $1500 and treated ourselves to a trip to Atlantic City. You could use this for a Christmas fund or whatever.

By Jayne from Bristow, VA

Spare Change Adds Up

Actually this is very simple but has really helped me with finances. I have a large jar that animal cookies came in. Over the past several years I have kept change in it. Every year on New Year's Eve I roll all of my change and then it goes into my savings account. I have saved anywhere from $150 to $250 in a year. In the last two years I have saved enough money to buy a new couch. Not too bad for spare change. It really does add up.

By Tonya from Tyler, Texas

Saving for Spring Break

I use a big water jug and I got it to the top and got enough money for a spring break trip. $950 in change was incredible and it only took one college semester :)

By Julia

Answers:

Savings Container

I used to do this same thing, then I got thinking. Why should I leave my money in the container all year, when I could put it in the bank and get interest on it. Now, I deposit it every month, and collect interest as well--it's not much, but it is free money. The only danger, is that you have to be disciplined enough to not touch the cash you are saving. It's just amazing how fast that change adds up. (01/31/2006)

By susanmajp

Savings Container

This is a great idea. What I do, besides throwing change in there, is to save my $10 bills. It's fun when I get a ten. I'm like, "Oh, boy! A ten for my savings jar!" I'm also starting a $5 puppy fund for puppy supplies, since I plan to add yet another fur baby to my menagerie.
(01/31/2006)

By Mom2fur

Savings Container For Spare Change

Dollar stores occasionally have cute "piggy Banks". The current one in use is a while elephant so it doubles for a pun; "just what I need, another white elephant!" Anyhow, these banks filled with spare change make great book ends, heavy enough to keep a row of books in line! Since I shelve books by category (ie cookbooks, novels, non-fiction, etc), these "bank ends" make dandy dividers. As for investment, I figure maybe some day some of those coins may go to a coin collector who'll pay a bit more for a rare coin. (Some of the banks are going on thirty years.) (02/06/2006)

By Julea