Science Experiments for Kids

An important learning experience for young people is completing a science project. Besides the experiment itself, there is much to learn about presentation and documentation. This is a guide about science experiments for kids.

February 11, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about blowing up a balloon with baking soda and vinegar. The chemical reaction that takes place when you mix baking soda and vinegar can be used to blow up a balloon.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 6, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about watermelon dry ice explosion. Try this fun science experiment with your older children. It is sure to be a hit.

Watermelon Dry Ice Explosion

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 30, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about mysteries of makeup science project. An interesting project for a school science fair can be created focusing on makeup, its science, a bit of history, safety standards, and more.

Tubes and bottles of makeup standing upright against a white background

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 27, 2005 Flag

Ingredients

• Medium size lump of coal
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. water
  • 2 Tbsp. laundry bluing
  • Mercurochrome
  • Food coloring (opt.)

Directions

Place a lump of coal in bowl and sprinkle 1 Tbsp. salt over the coal. Carefully pour 2 Tbsp. water over salt. In the same manner, pour 2 Tbsp. of laundry bluing. Then add 2 or 3 drops of mercurochrome. Repeat with food coloring. After several days, you should have a colorful mosslike growth. If not, add a few more drops of water. This is something small children really enjoy!

By Robin from Washington, IA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

August 6, 2007 Flag

I'm looking for simple science projects for preschoolers.

Jean from Midway, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I remember in first grade growing bean seeds in little milk cartons. It was so fun watering and watching the beans grow. We got to take them home when they got big enough.

Freeze water in large containers. When solid, pop out of the container. Tint table salt with liquid water colors and dry thoroughly. Let kids sprinkle the colored salt on to the ice. The salt creates holes and the color allows the kids to see the melting process. You will definitely hear OOOHs and AHHHS!

If you live in an area with white flowers like Queen Anne's Lace you can demonstrate osmosis by putting them in colored water.

I'd be careful to give pre-schoolers anything but BIG magnets that they can't swallow.

We like to take cornstarch and water add food coloring to it and it become ooblick. My boys have had hours of fun playing with their dinosaurs in it.

Adopt a Manatee. Go to www.savethemanatee.org. They will send you a list and a description of the manatees that need to be adopted. The manatees are usually ones that were injured by blades from boats. Then you pick one and for a small fee they will send you a birth certificate and a picture of your new family member. Gary Dominicus

January 6, 2010 Flag

I am looking for some good Science Fair project ideas.

By Jazz

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Not knowing your age or your mechanical ability this could be challenging. You can go chemical and build a volcano and use chemicals to make it explode. You can go electronic and make a crystal radio.

If your a programmer you can write a program that takes a set of numbers and gives you the character set equivalent I.E. here is a random phone number 626-8147 it could spell.

m a m t 1 g p

n b n u 1 h r

o c b v 1 i s

hmmm... doesn't spell anything, bad example but still a good idea.

You could make and explain a water clock.

You could make and explain a fulcrum and give examples of how fulcrums are used today.

Give me more details about you and the science fair and I can probably come up with a lot more ideas. I time period would help too.

Ooo. I just had a fun idea. If you are into military tactics you could build an example of the Roman Phalanx and write up how affective it was in combat situations for the Roman empire. Not purely science but there is science in it. If you want to see how effective it was watch the movie 300.

When I was in high school, these were my science fair projects.

One year, I showed how different chemical solutions would burn different colors in a flame. For example, a copper solution makes the flame green whereas another one (which I have long forgotten now) would turn it red or purple.

The next year, I created a hologram, using a laser and a sandbox on innertubes. That was pretty neat! I'm sure I got the plans and the supplies from my teacher in both instances.

If you are stuck, I would talk to your science teacher and see what he/she suggests. It would also be helpful to know what sort of science you are interested in: physics, biology, chemistry, etc.

Good luck!

I am not sure what age group you are taliking about. I saw a fun one at my daughter's school. This girl had used coffee filters and a vaccum hose to prove there is little difference between high and low nicotine cigarettes. The girl wanted to get her dad to quit smoking. Just an idea. :)

This may or may not be too low-tech for you, but should be okay whatever your age group, provided you're a month or so from your science fair. As I recall, most science fairs are in February or March, but that's been awhile ago; my youngest kid is 21.

How about planting two identical seeds in two identical pots. Put one in a sunny place and the other in the closet, cabinet, or other dark place. Otherwise, treat them the same (same amounts of water, fertilizer or plant food.) Notate the difference and explain why there were different results with the two plants.

February 25, 2011 Flag

I am looking for a website that has quality, low cost (or free using stuff at home) easy science projects and/or experiments for a first or second grader. Any recommendations? Thanks.

By Mindy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would see if you can find a home school forum. There would probably be all kinds of projects for kids to do that are 1st and 2nd grade level.

When we were snowed in with a blizzard earlier this month, I was going through all our On Demand channels to try and keep us entertained. I found Activity TV. The projects they had through On Demand were pretty good, so I took a look at their website. They have many different sections, including Science. Here is a link to their science experiments:

http://www.acti  riments-for-kids

I liked their Double Density experiment, and it's at a beginner level, so hopefully your 1st/2nd grader could do it. Hope you find something that works for you!

March 12, 2010 Flag

Is there a way to make a really cool thing to demonstrate how bread rises?

By Sarah from Ireland

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A Yeast Bread lecture and demonstration preparing loaf bread, one of the classes of yeast breads with a lab having the students prepare their own Loaf Bread following the techniques and skills of bread making.

Yeast Bread Study Sheet

Information of Yeast Breads

Cool Rise White Bread

Lab Planning SheetYeast Bread Recipes

Bread Home Assignment

Ingredients needed for demonstration and for each unit to prepare Cool Rise White Bread:

3 1/2 cups flour

1 tbs. yeast

1/2 tsp. sugar

1/4 cup warm water

7/8 cup milk

1 tbs. sugar

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tbs. margarine or shortening

cooking oil

masking tape

Ingredients for yeast experiment:

3 small custard cups

3 tbs. yeast

3 tsp. sugar

hot water

warm water

cold water with ice cubes

Attachments

Lab_Planning_Sheet.jpg

Yeast_Bread_Study_Sheet.doc

Yeast_Bread_Study_Sheet_Key.doc

Information_on_Yeast_Breads.doc

Cool_Rise_White_Bread.doc

Yeast_Bread_Recipes.doc

Home_Assignment_Form.doc

Lab_Planning_Sheet.pdf

Yeast_Bread_Study_Sheet.pdf

Yeast_Bread_Study_Sheet_KEY.pdf

Information_on_Yeast_Breads.pdf

Cool_Rise_White_Bread.pdf

Yeast_Bread_Recipes.pdf

Home_Assignment_Form.pdf

Background For Teachers:

The teacher needs to have a basic understanding about yeast breads; the characteristics that identify them; how to prepare them using different methods; identify and know how to prepare the three classes of yeast breads - loafs, rolls, and deep-fat fried; identify the basic ingredients and their functions; know words like leavening, proofing, rising, ripe test, carbon dioxide as they pertain to yeast breads.

This demonstration and lab will take the students through all of the steps during class to prepare a loaf of bread as the bread rises in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours. It is baked the following class period.

Because it is a cool rise bread, it contains more yeast than a regular bread recipe for one loaf of bread. Some of the students may think this bread tastes a little yeasty, but they will devour it anyway. It is an excellent recipe for the students to see how to make loaf bread during a class period.

You will need to watch the time very closely to lecture, demonstrate and have the students complete their lab. It could be done in two days.

Student Prior Knowledge:

The student needs to know what yeast breads are and how they differ from quick breads. They should know how to prepare different yeast breads using different methods and what ingredients are used in the making of yeast breads.

Intended Learning Outcomes:

The student should be able to identify the characteristics and ingredients used in yeast breads from quick breads, and how to prepare them as rolls, loaf breads or deep-fat fried.

Instructional Procedures:

Hand out the Bread Home Assignment and the Yeast Bread Recipes. The recipes contain several bread recipes that may be used for their home assignment. Some of the other recipes are my favorites and some will be used in later labs.

There will be two home assignments for this yeast bread unit. One will be to prepare some homemade bread at home and the other to prepare rolls that will be given at a later date. The students can prepare one of the recipes in the packet or one that their family prefers. The student needs to bring the paper signed, identify the recipe used and attach a slice of bread for credit. It will be due the day of the test.

Go over the recipes in the packet to identify the ingredients, time it takes to prepare and how many loaves each recipe will make. I tell the students that they need to prepare the bread at home and not use a bread machine. I want them to mix the ingredients together, knead the dough, let it rise, shape the bread in a bread pan, let it rise again and bake it for credit.

Hand out the Yeast Bread Study Sheet, Information on Yeast Breads and recipe for Cool Rise White Bread.

Lecture on Yeast Breads as you demonstrate preparing the Cool Rise White Bread for the class. Use the study sheet as a guide.

Talk about the differences between Quick Breads and Yeast Breads.

What is yeast? Show the importance of the temperature of the water through an experiment. Have three custard cups on the countertop with three different temperatures of water - Warm water, cold water that has had ice cubes in it and hot water that has been heated in the microwave. Sprinkle in some yeast and sugar, stir and have the students observe during the lab the changes that occur. Discuss these with the class on the importance of the temperature of the water.

Demonstration: Prepare the recipe for the Cool Rise White Bread explaining and going through the steps. While kneading the dough, talk about the ingredients, their functions, the nutritional value of bread, classes, etc. After the dough is kneaded sufficiently, let the dough rest.

Lab: The students will quickly prepare the recipe for the Cool Rise White Bread as it was demonstrated in class. When they are kneading the dough, I like every student to have an opportunity to practice kneading the dough. If there are four students in the unit, each student needs to knead the dough for 2 - 2 1/2 minutes each. After their dough is kneaded, let it rest.

Demonstration: Have the students watch how you shape the dough while their dough is resting. If the students want to make Cinnamon Swirl with their dough I will show them how to do it. Once the dough is rolled out into a rectangle, lightly spread some water on the top, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Continue to shape according to directions. Put shaped loaf into bread pan. Brush oil on the top and cover with saran wrap and label dough.

Lab: Students will go back to their units and shape their dough. Put it in the bread pan, cover with saran wrap and labeled and put in the refrigerator to rise until next class period.

Allow enough time for the students to complete lab and demonstration. Make sure the units are clean before they leave, especially the countertops. Good luck.

Hello, How about this? Hollow out a loaf of already baked bread and then insert a balloon. ( I would use an oblong balloon) The middle of the loaf will fall just a little, but you can insert the balloon and blow it up to demonstrate how the process works? Good luck, this was just a thought.

Education Homework HelpFebruary 18, 2014
Mysteries of Makeup Science Project
Watermelon Dry Ice Explosion
Watermelon Dry Ice Explosion
Book of Popular Science
Finding the Value of The Book of Popular Science
Inflating Balloon During Balloon Experiment
Blowing up a Balloon with Baking Soda and Vinegar
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 2:54:44 PM on 10.0.1.73 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.