Scrub Jay Deterrents

I have 2 scrub jays that are living around my house. They have lived here for a while, but just about a month ago, every time my cat goes outside 1 of the jays squawks at my cat CONSTANTLY. It is the most obnoxious loud noise ever. Once I bring my cat in the house the jay stops. I was wondering why my cat doesn't kill it, then I realized my cat is afraid of the jay, because he'll peck at my cat. My cat doesn't like to be in the house very much so when he is out all you hear is that bird. It's driving me crazy and I don't want to kill it, but what else could I try to do?

Kandace

Answers:

Scrub Jays Deterrents

Figure out where the nest is and get rid of it. (06/07/2005)

By Holly

Scrub Jays Deterrents

It sounds like there is a nest of babies close by. Give them a few weeks and eventually they will leave. When the birds have flown the nest, make sure you remove it. Don't remove it yet, as it is mating time and babies are being hatched. Some birds have two sets of nestings.

Laura in NH (06/08/2005)

By DDSS2000

Scrub Jays Deterrents

Keep a powerful water pistol loaded with water. Every time the bird screeches, try hitting it with water. Works on dogs and other cats too. (06/26/2005)

By Cathy

Scrub Jays Deterrents

I am told that in Florida, the scrub jay is protected as an endangered species. If you have scrub jays on a vacant lot you can not build on that lot. The state of Florida environmentalists charge upwards of $3,000 to check your property by using scrub jay bird calls to determine if they are living there. How ridiculous. Can anyone give me any info on this and what to do if I want to build on this lot? Thanks. (06/30/2005)

By jan

Scrub Jays Deterrents

I have the same problem! There are two male scrub jays and they make a serious racket. They chase my cat, they chase me and they try to land on our window sills looking for our cat inside the house. I've tried scaring them with water, but that has not been very effective. In fact, they seem to enjoy it - fluffing up their feathers as if I am bathing them. This is the first spring we have had this problem so I am hoping there is a nest nearby and they will leave our yard once the baby birds have grown. Meanwhile, I am buying some earplugs! (04/26/2006)

By Jodie

Scrub Jay Deterrents
Scotch Brite Pads
Cleaning Scotch Brite Pads
Homemade powered scrub brush.
Making a Powered Scrub Brush
Homemade Hand Scrub
Homemade Hand Scrub Recipes
🎄