Seasoning Cast Iron Skillets

To keep my cast iron skillets and pots seasoned, I wash them in hot soapy water after use and then dry them on the stove. As soon as they dry, I spray vegetable oil from my spray pump onto the surface of the pot or skillet, wipe the excess off with a dishrag or paper towel and then take them off of the heat. The hot iron absorbs the oil and keeps the pots from sticking.

By Donna

Seasoning Cast Iron Skillets

I have seen some people burn theirs off in a fire. Others say spaying the pan with Easy Off and placing in a black bag for a while takes off the gunk, to where you can re-season it. (07/06/2009)

By crunchberry

Seasoning Cast Iron Skillets

You should not use soap when washing cast iron, they can absorb the soap. I use hot water, kosher salt, and a sponge with a scrubby side. They should be washed immediately after using for easier cleaning. I've had mine for over 10 yrs and use them for everything. You can make the best upside down cakes in them. (05/07/2010)

By blazincopper

Seasoning a Cast Iron Pan
Seasoning a Cast Iron Pan
Cast Iron Wood Stove
Cleaning a Cast Iron Wood Stove
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Unseasoned Dutch Oven
Removing Rust from Cast Iron
Cast Iron Pan
Cleaning a Cast Iron Pan