Selling Collectible Dolls

Calling all doll collectors! Where do doll collectors congregate and/or search for dolls to add to their collections? I have a small collection of dolls that I wish to sell. I have heard a number of horror stories from inexperienced folks who believe that they were ripped off by online auctions or dealers.

As I am in serious need of extra money and as I am in search of someone who will love and cherish the dolls my mother gave me (she always said that they were an investment and that I should take good care of them--Mom was right). I would like to know how to connect with serious, thoughtful collectors who value dolls beyond any blue book listing.

Online research has only gone so far and the ThriftyFun people have come through for me in the past so... if you have any information to offer I hope you share it with me! I will be most appreciative of any and all responses to my request and I will gladly do the same for you if I can be of help regarding your requests.

Thanks everyone.
Miss Michele from NYC

Selling Collectible Dolls

I have been dealing in antiques for over 20 years. If they were my dolls, I would research them on ebay and the internet. If you want, you could call a dealer but most won't give you even close to what they may be worth. Most dealers make 100% or more! They would probably end up on ebay anyway. If you chose to use a dealer, call 4, 5 or more. Have them leave their name, number, and a bid. Tell them you have other offers and the highest offer gets them. I have been selling on ebay for 4 years. Other than selling from my shop or at a flea market, that is the best place to sell. Millions of people all over the world can view your item. Some collectors will pay high prices to get what they want. I don't believe a truly good doll can go unnoticed there.

Look for a maker name and/or date on the doll, and do a google search. That probably won't give you a price, but it could give you some information about the doll you could use in your listing. Be sure to check out the completed items when you search. This will give you a good idea of what it's worth. Then you can better decide what price to start with or what price to reserve it for if you choose a reserve price. Ask a friend to list them for you. You could also call an auction but they also get a percentage. Good luck, if I can be of any help you can email me at aprilbapst AT (remove spaces).

By Suitsme

Selling Collectible Dolls

Great information! I'll let you know how things go--ThriftyFun people are truly generous. Best, Michele (11/16/2005)

By Miss Michele

Selling Collectible Dolls

I would like to know more about your dolls. I might be interested in buying them. I am a collector and love my dolls. Please let me know.
Thank you! (03/04/2006)

By Cindy

Selling Collectible Dolls

I have a bunch of dolls my grandmother left me when she passed away and I am trying to sell them as well. I was going to use ebay but I was looking for something easier since I probably don't know what they are worth. I wanted to see if you had any success with your selling. (03/22/2006)

By Carrie

Selling Collectible Dolls

My grandmother gave me all of her dolls to sell and I am completely lost. I don't know what doll is what or how to sell them.

(b)Editor's Note: (/b) There are a lot of books on collectible dolls at the library. Also, just ask your grandmother or your mother if she knows what kind of dolls they are. Then you can search on eBay to see what price to charge. (04/09/2006)

By Missy

Selling Collectible Dolls

I'm new to Dolls and make Reproductions because the real ones are so expensive. Check out they are a major supplier and sell stuff for dolls repair & making. They are also a place that lists "Doll conventions" that are all over the world and draw serious doll collectors that pay big bucks even for reproductions. There is a group of us that love our babies and would never sell them. But do research - some babies have been known to sell for 25k. (03/10/2007)

By Susan

Selling Collectible Dolls

Hi, I have been collecting Princess Diana dolls for 10 years. I buy them from e bay as they are really hard to find in Canada. So, please sell them on e bay as that will give everyone a chance to bid on them. (09/03/2007)

By Judy

Selling Collectible Dolls

For anyone having any of the Franklin Mint Princess Diana dolls, I am looking for two of them; sophistication and the other is called enchantment. Thank you, amby_21060 AT yahoo.Com

And for those of you looking to sell, you might want to look into a consignment shop? (02/04/2008)

Selling Collectible Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Finding the Value of Seymour Mann Dolls
Collectible Dolls
Selling Collectible Dolls
Barbie Doll
Selling Collectible Barbies