Selling Handmade Crochet Items

Handmade Crochet Bag
Deciding to sell your handmade crochet items is only the first step towards successfully marketing your handicrafts. This is a guide about selling handmade crochet items.

I saw somebody posted a question as to where they could sell their handmade crocheted items, but never saw an answer. So I'm asking again. I missed all the holiday craft fairs, but would like to know what venues are available to sell my handmade items. I did check out esty, but I have too many different items to post.

By Linda from Chicago IL area

Ecrater.com is a good place to open your own webstore. It is a free online marketplace that you can upload pictures, enter descriptions, and pricing. There are no hosting fees and consists of a community of different types of sellers. There is also the option of ebay, artfire, and etsy.

I've done the craft sale thing. They want you to charge rumage sale prices for things that can take up to 30 hours to make. That would be less than one cent an hour for all the hard work. I think they're only thinking about how much the materials cost, not the time it takes to make something. Plus they would come look over my things and go make them and at the next sale, you'd find your inventions/items made by them for less than you charge. Beat you out with your own things.

Does anyone make money selling crochet rugs? Is it worth all the work? I know people who sell other handmade items and they never get paid for the actual time they spend making things. I saw a thread that said to charge by the inch or the square foot. Is that how you price yours? Or do you calculate the cost of materials and the time it takes to make them?

By Lisa from OH

When pricing any of my crocheting items I usually charge by the inch, plus the cost of materials & the time it takes me to make the item.

Anonymous

My mom charges the cost of yarn and the time it takes by 2.5. so 4 hours would be 10 dollars plus the cost of yarn. It also depends on the person too. so it would be less like time by 2. She enjoys crocheting so she doesn't charge high arm an leg prices.

I would like to know who has successfully sold their crocheted items online and what site they used. I know there are many sites to sell on. I am trying to find out where the buyers go. Who has had great sales and what site do they use?

By Marie from Chicago, IL

Take a look at Etsy.com. Click their categories and find crochet items. It should give you a good idea how much people sell.

Try Made it Myself.com or IOffer.com

I live in Sri Lanka and I crochet doilies, table runners, etc. Any idea how I could sell my stuff?
Thank you.

The larger your item, the more time and materials it will take you to make. This is often too much for people to afford. In America we often feel that "fast nickles are better than slow quarters". This means that making smaller things takes you less time and costs you less, so you can charge less and sell more. I would find 10 items you can make in less than a day. Stick to those and open an Etsy store or Facebook store. Good luck!!

PS: Remember that good quality photos are key.

I make crochet owls from home and would like a catchy name for them. Any ideas?

By Carol

Hootlets

Wise Guy Owls

I love to crochet and would love to sell some of what I have done. As I am in Malaysia, what would be the best option for me to sell online and how about postal charges? Thank you!

By Hema

I would try storenvy.com. you can choose which countries you want to sell to, but you have to figure out the shipping. Here in the USA, we can go online to USPS.COM and figure out the price with weight, size and how fast you want it to arrive. Hope that can help! I have my store on there (tsqualitycrochet.storenvy.com) and I only had a few sales online, most of my sells I make in person, in Facebook groups.

I need to know if there are any consignment shops in New Bern, NC. I want to consign crocheted baby blankets and adult blankets.

By Cheryl

I have several crochet items. How do I sell them?

By Ann

Answers:

Selling Handmade Crochet Items

Try etsy.com
Good luck. (09/18/2009)

By tahlula

How should I begin selling my crochet work?

By lderavin from Orlando, FL

Answers:

Selling Handmade Crochet Items

When anyone asks about selling anything, I always recommend craigslist.com

It is free to advertise whatever you have to sell, and you can include pictures. People in your area will respond to the ad, then they come to you or you can meet them in a public place to show them your crocheted items. (04/07/2009)

By Anonymous

Selling Handmade Crochet Items

Craigslist is great, but it only lets you advertise in your area. If you have friends or family who might advertise in their cities, that will get you more noticed, but that is still a reach.

I suggest this great website. They take very little fee and you are seen by anyone who logs on. Give it a try? Good luck.

etsy.com (04/09/2009)

By Poor But Proud

Selling Handmade Crochet Items

My wife currently is selling craft and home decor items on a relatively new site called Bonanzle.com. Bonanzle is not a bidding site like e-Bay. You price your listed items and customers either pay your list price or, make an offer which you can accept, negotiate, or reject. The cost of doing business on Bonanzle is a fraction of the fees on e-Bay.

A really nice feature is that there are posts and threads just like here. You can promote your items, ask questions, ask for advice and it seems to have the "small town" air about it. People are helpful and usually friendly. My wife spends so much time on line with the site, it's like a virtual social club.

You can "Google" Bonanzle and follow the links. Sign up, set up a "booth" and you're in business. There is a lot of support for a new vendor. You can maintain an account here and do business on e-Bay or another site, too.
(04/10/2009)

By Nockmoi

I would like to start selling my handmade crochet items, but I don't know what would sell and what won't sell. I also need to know what to price the items. Thank you bunches!

Mackenzie from Millington, TN

Answers:

Selling Handmade Crochet Items

I am crocheting some items to sell in a local craft show. I haven't had any advice about pricing, either, but I'm going to price them at what I would be willing to pay for them if I were the buyer. Of course, I have to make a profit over and above the supplies, and my time, but I think I'll have that figured in okay - sure hope so! Ha! Good luck, and God bless you. (09/04/2007)

By tedsmom

Selling Handmade Crochet Items

You can sell them on eBay. After you set up an account, you will need to look for the same thing you are selling and research what they are selling for. Take really good pictures of what you have to sell, and give a good description; and how much you want the bidding to start for the product. If you are a little scared of the process, you can put up one to sell and see how it goes. I have sold and bought on eBay and have had good success. Have a good time with it, it is exciting to see your things bid up and up. Good luck. (09/04/2007)

Selling Handmade Crochet Items

My friend and I set up at craft shows and sell crocheted items. We price them for the area. Some areas you can charge more, but in little towns like we set up at we figure our price by price of materials and then double or triple it. I make slippers and sell them for $2.50 because I can make 2 pair out of a skein of yarn. They sell really fast. It is kind of a try and see thing. Good luck. I sell in Michigan.
Dameemag from Rothbury, MI (09/04/2007)

By dameemag

Selling Handmade Crochet Items

I suggest just looking at what sells well on eBay to get a good idea of the market first. (09/05/2007)

By kimhis

Selling Handmade Crochet Items

Make sure you make usable products, not just decorative pieces. Slippers, pot holders, place mats, hats and scarves, and baby afghans would sell well. My grandmother had a home business making afghans, that spread just by word-of-mouth. People would pick out a pattern they liked from her small samples and tell her how big they wanted it to be. She'd tell them how much yarn to buy, they'd go to the store and buy the colors they wanted to match their homes. Then she'd make it for them and call them when it was ready. She was able to do this in her spare time while she watched TV in the evening. The business wasn't huge, but steady, and gave her spending money. (09/09/2007)

By susanmajp

Selling Handmade Crochet Items

susanmajp: Do you know how much she sold them for? I have never made an afghan, but I believe I would enjoy it. But if you don't want me to use her idea that's okay by me! Thanks, Mackenzie (09/11/2007)

By Anonymous

Selling Handmade Crochet Items

Post all your items on www.youcraftylot.com. It's all free to sellers at the moment.
See what sells? (11/24/2007)

By Hazy