Selling Recycled Bag Rugs

pink and white bag rug
Plarn is made from plastic bags and used to create crochet craft projects. Selling crafts made from recycled materials is currently quite popular. This is a guide about selling recycled bag rugs.

There were plenty of reusable shirt bags behind a clothier here and a handy video to make short work of making the plarn necessary to create handmade items.

The pink areas are made from 30 bags for a dollar plastic kitchen bags providing much needed color for interest! The fringe took nearly all of 3 whole pink bags.

My problem is that I am not in a zone that I can sell retail from which I had hoped. So, on Sundays across from me at a park, it is busier than any other day. Taking advantage of that, I backed my truck up to near the end of my driveway, leaving enough room for 1 other vehicle to get off the street.

I have an over-the-door towel rack that I don't use for towels that fit nicely over the top of my tailgate and I fastened my crocheted rug to it with with my price tag clearly visible! No one bought my rug, but I know I can at least TRY, which is 1/2 the success!

I would like a copy of the pattern if you dont mind sharing it. helen4211 AT email2me.net

That rug is really neat looking. I see the big sign that reads $20, but along with that, try extending your advertisement by making a sign that reads something like: "Hand made crocheted plastic rugs for only $20 each". Also make a few fliers to hang up on community bulletin boards like at the library, or dept. store, or the super market in your area, and for an added advertisement, along with that flier make a small order form and staple it to the flier and have a family member or friend take it to their work or community function to get orders for you.

Or...bring the flier w/order form attached and one rug with you to your next summer gathering to show to friends and you may get orders right on the spot. Please excuse me for maybe going overboard on ideas, but to me there are so many ways you can advertise your rugs. I am a crafter also and and make many things as well as design clothing, and I always tell others that its all in your presentation. N

ever look like you're in need of the purchase, believe in your work, have confidence in your craft, and think it worth a lot more than what you're asking, be patient and focus on making just one sale and watch more orders will start pouring in. I think your craft is awesome. Please post and let everyone know how things turned out.

That rug is really neat looking. I see the big sign that reads $20, but along with that, try extending your advertisement by making a sign that reads something like: "Hand made crocheted plastic rugs for only $20 each". Also make a few fliers to hang up on community bulletin boards like at the library, or dept. store, or the super market in your area, and for an added advertisement, along with that flier make a small order form and staple it to the flier and have a family member or friend take it to their work or community function to get orders for you. Or...bring the flier w/order form attached and one rug with you to your next summer gathering to show to friends and you may get orders right on the spot. Please excuse me for maybe going overboard on ideas, but to me there are so many ways you can advertise your rugs. I am a crafter also and and make many things as well as design clothing, and I always tell others that its all in your presentation. Never look like you're in need of the purchase, believe in your work, have confidence in your craft, and think it worth alot more than what you're asking, be patient and focus on making just one sale and watch more orders will start pouring in. I think your craft is awesome. Please post and let everyone know how things turned out.

Melody I grew up in Sedalia MO and I remember lots of folks making these rugs. Did you braid them or crochet them? Thanks, Cindy