Browsing: Selling Vinyl Records

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Selling Vinyl Records

If you have a collection of old vinyl records, you may have some really valuable recordings. This is a guide about selling vinyl records.

Selling Vinyl Records
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 5, 2015 Flag

Many others have said it, do your research. There are many websites that will give you a range of prices for what your record(s) might be selling for. Selling Record Albums

Some of your old records (if they are in good shape) could be worth quite a chunk of change. Sadly, it can be a little time consuming, but it's fun and worth it if you have a little time. Often, if it's a rare record in great shape, you will get the best return by putting it up for auction on eBay but this is also time consuming. If you just want to get rid of them quick and want a little money, give your local record store a call and see if they want to buy them.

If you do decide to auction, pay attention to the record grading, carefully clean the records well and take good photos of the record and the sleeve. If you have something special; like a promotional copy, colored vinyl or a first pressing, make sure to mention this in the description. If you have additional information about the artists or the release, include that as well.

Good luck!

June 5, 2009 Flag

What prices should I sell my 1980s vinyl records for, at a garage sale?

By catpaul from Freeport, NY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Agree with a few others on here that most of them likely are not going to be worth much more than a dollar or two each; the DH and I have been selling on eBay for five years, and will sell the occasional vinyl album, but here's our suggestion:

It's going to sound time-consuming and very tedious, but you may be better off doing both the garage sale and eBay selling thing.

Go to eBay and search your albums--the "completed" listings. That'll give you some idea as to what the market actually is for them, that is, what people will actually offer for them. Do them one-by-one. There are so many surprises that can pop up for you; an album you think is worthless can sell for a nice price ( and the other way around, ones you think should be priceless are worth next to nothing).

After your search, the ones you see selling for a couple of bucks--or under-- and the ones you have that may have tears or soil on the covers or more than minimal scratching of any kind--save them to put out on your yard sale.

If you think you'll get a dollar for it, it's not worth posting on eBay; after the selling fees, you're making next to nothing.

As for taking them to someone dealing specifically in vinyl--don't know if I'd go that route. Resellers are like antique dealers: you'll get about 25% back on what they'll actually mark it up and sell it for.

Good luck!

People are grossly misinformed about the true value of records. As well people are ill informed about how to determine the value of a record based upon many intricacies. Lastly, the vast majority of people stumbling on to a record collection are completely unaware of where to go to determine the most accurate values for their records. I find records all the time that eBay doesn't even list and I sell them for in upwards of $3,000. Mind you I paid a dollar for the record at a yard sale. The true secrets of the record collecting industry will never be revealed to you by a record dealer who comes to your yard sale or calls on your craigslist ad.

There is, however, a way that is leveling the playing field for many people who have records to sell. Meanwhile all the many uninformed and unsuspecting record owners continue to lose bundles of cash every day of the year getting preyed upon by record dealers and collectors who are in the know. Innocent people, elderly people with little or no money in their pockets, are being ripped off for thousands and even tens of thousands of dollars everyday all across the globe and it's their own fault. Knowledge is power.

In the case of records, knowledge is money, lots of money. If you really want to be in the know about the true value potential of your vinyl records then please do yourself a big favor and visit http://www.RecordsToRiches.com. You will be empowered to reap the financial rewards that rightfully belong to you. Just for the record, it's all there.

How much would a classic Beatles vinyl record course in a good condition

10 dollars

Read More Answers...

August 23, 2011 Flag

I have old 78 records. How do I find out if they are worth any money?

By May

I live in the country, and don't have access to 'experts' that can value things, and probably couldn't afford one anyways. I always look on ebay, to see if an item is for sale there, to get a starting value on anything. If I don't find it there, then I search for it online. That usually helps. You can usually find someone, or some site that is selling something similar.

Search "old vinyl records prices" and you'll find websites that appraise records. Moneymusic.com is just one. Most have some free info. Also, you might check with your public library to see if they can get you a copy of a good price guide on loan.

I didn't sell the vinyls instead I painted on them and made them into beautiful clocks. You can purchase the clock works at craft stores and they are very easy to assemble. If you don't paint you can cut out photos of the family, black and white are great and make a really interesting artsy project. Have fun!

November 30, 2013 Flag

I have 448 1980's vinyl records and I'm wondering how much I could get for the lot.

By Michael C.

You will have to check these out for yourself as one or two may be worth something but most are hard to sell even at yard sales for .50.

Check out Google as there are some sites that may tell you something and eBay has lots of info. As a lot? You may find a record store that sells older records and may give you a few bucks for the lot.

You may be lucky and find a few that are "gold". Good luck.

September 19, 2011 Flag

Jacket for Elvis Golden records.I have a 1958 golden Elvis record I'm selling to an Elvis collector for $800 to 1,000. Is this the right price?

By Windett from Franklin, WV

This person must want it really bad, because I have never seen any record albums like that, that went for more than just a few dollars. Go to ebay and see if you can find anything like that and what they are selling for.

Any item such as this is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You might find someone who will pay more or you might never find anyone who will pay this much. I think you would go a long way before finding as good a price as this.

September 23, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know the value of old 78 RPM records as well as 33 records? Someone said there is no value. Surely there is some value. Does anyone have experience in this area? I have a fairly large number. Thanks for sharing.

By oredwine1933 from Fort Worth, TX

There isn't a lot of value, but most cities of some size have a store or two which buys old records. You could find one near you and give a call for an estimate.

Also google old records, buy and sell. Definitely check on ebay and see if anything is going on. I worked in an antique shop for 8+ years and we sold our records for average of 3 dollars per. Occasionally for one dollar, sometimes 5 dollars.

Unless it's a special record, that's probably near average. But after getting some info, try craigslist.

There is a resurgence in vinyl. Even my 17 year old is getting into them. While many albums aren't worth much, especially if they aren't in great condition, many are worth quite a bit. And at an oldies record store in my area, I saw some going for hundreds of dollars. Search the internet, look for specific titles, you may be surprised what you have value wise. Personally, I buy them by the box at rummage sales for the nostalgic value, but I am always hoping to find the big one with cash value.

In the 2009 Fort Worth A T & T yellow pages under Records, Tapes, CD's Used & Vintage there are two places that might help you. Also Half Price book buys old records, but they don't pay much. In your browser look for old records for sale some of the sites may have what you are looking for.

August 3, 2013 Flag

Photo LPs includimg Boston, Ozzy., and HeartI have several photo LPs of Ozzie, Ted Nugget, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, The Cars, The Who, Rush, etc. I would like to find out what they are worth. Here are photos of a few of them.

By Sandra

Hi - these are neat but you may have to do your own research. Check eBay and Google. Research is fun - you have all the info available to find an answer to your question.

Good luck - you may hit the jack-pot with one of these!

Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousJune 14, 2013
Making a Vinyl Record Dessert Stand
Making a Vinyl Record Dessert Stand
abstract tree wall decal
Making Vinyl Wall Decals
Cleaning a Vinyl Record
Cleaning Vinyl Records
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 5:50:34 PM on 10.0.2.7 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.