Browsing: Slow Banana Ripening

Separate Bananas To Slow Ripening

I recently read a tip on ThriftyFun about separating your bananas from the bunch to keep them from getting brown so quickly. As this is a common problem in our household, I tried it the next time I got bananas from Costco.

The first picture was taken just after we separated the bunch. I did wind up tearing one peel open but it was easily pawned off to one of my hungry boys. We had another bunch that we ate first, so we could leave these ones mostly alone. As you can see, they are pretty green still. Green Bananas

The second picture was taken almost a week later They are still a bit green on the edges but nicely yellow otherwise, with almost no brown spotting. The weather was not too warm and that might cause them to ripen faster in the height of the summer. I'm going to always separate them from now on. Ripe Bananas

Source: ThriftyFun

By Jessica from Hillsboro, OR

Yes, I learnt about this from my sister in law, when I observed her doing it.

For summer, since it gets hot in Malta where I live, I have to keep them in the fridge.

Slow Banana Ripening
Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitJune 18, 2012
A bunch of bananas.
Storing Bananas
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
Dried Bananas
Recipes Using Dried Bananas
A banana on ice.
Freezing Bananas
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 10:44:09 AM on 10.0.1.237 in 554 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.