Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Setting Rates for Cleaning Services

Part of running a successful cleaning business is being able to estimate the job and charge a reasonable rate that will meet your financial needs and attract customers. This is a guide about setting rates for cleaning services.

Man in an apron with a bucket of cleaning supplies.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about rates for cleaning a home for sale. Cleaning a home that is for sale can be easier work because it is unoccupied. However, it can often take just as long because more square footage is exposed.

Inside of Empty new home.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about rates for cleaning new construction homes. Cleaning businesses often focus on specific types of cleaning jobs, such as private homes, businesses, or new construction.

February 21, 2017 Flag

How much should I charge to do a move out clean for a 2 story 2,715 sq. ft. house?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

It depends where you live. Find out the weekly rate for a regular cleaning and add $25- $50 more. The kitchens and baths have to be scrubbed extra clean for the new inhabitants.

Best Answer

Take a walk through, estimate how many hours you'll need and ensure it won't be more grimy between the time of your inspection and the date they want to hire you. Your hourly rate plus travel time (one way) plus supplies? Are you taking your own vacuum cleaner? Add an hour for the time it takes you to give an estimate? Ask for half up front with the balance due upon the client's inspection (after you're done).

Best Answer

No simple answer for this one. What do others in the area charge? How dirty is it? Are you providing the cleaning supplies or is the client? You need to earn enough to cover your materials, all costs, your fuel there and back, meals, any extra help you make and then your profit. Your profit will be what you earn after all expenses, so what is your time worth to you? Also remember you will need to recoup advertising costs and you may also have permits and licenses and insurance to buy and taxes to pay.

$4,000 to clean????

October 29, 2015 Flag

I do every type cleaning you could think of, deep, basic, move out with inspection sheets, straight organizing cleans, basic with add ons like laundry, errands, etc.
How do I determine a fair price? Also, I go to surrounding cities up to 30 miles away, bring own supplies, etc.

Also, I just hired a girl to help me. What should be the paying ratio, since I supply the cleaning supplies, and gas/transportation?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Rates for the many types of cleaning can vary wildly depending upon your specific location, cleaning type (move in/out, home etc.), supply costs, domestic or business cleaning, etc.

In a large city, a one bedroom apartment can range $75-$150 for a 4 hour weekly. A 3 bedroom house $200-$300 weekly. In smaller towns, prices can drop to half or less.

You might call other cleaning services in your area (on the sly!) to ask their prices.

Good Luck!

As to paying your helper? You find the jobs and arrange the work, you buy the cleaning supplies and gas, you pick her up and take her home. I am by no means suggesting you pay her anything less than a fair hourly rate, but I'm sure she'd also appreciate knowing what she can expect to earn on a daily or weekly basis. As DCA suggests, why not call other services in the area to ask what they're paying their employees?

July 28, 2016 Flag

I'm thinking about starting a small cleaning business. Does anyone know the going rate for a stove and refrigerator?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

depends on the condition and how much deep cleaning of these appliances are required

May 24, 2016 Flag

I am interested in starting my own cleaning business and was wondering if a flat rate of $125 and recurring of $110 is too high. I live in Michigan City, Indiana and will be servicing LaPorte, Portage, and Valparaiso, cleaning commercial, residential, move in/out, and construction. Please advise, I researched the average cost online and it ran anywhere from $111 low to $154 high. Also, I have a full time job and am wanting to start with evenings and weekends. Any thoughts?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That's a good price, stick to it.

March 30, 2015 Flag

I am cleaning a less than 500 sf apartment. How much should I charge to deep clean a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment? They want laundry done, refrigerator cleaned, and room decluttered and organized.

By Taryn from New Orleans, LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 6, 2013 Flag

How much should I charge to clean a school?

By Lola from Forked River

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 3, 2010 Flag

How do you figure out the flat rate to charge by the cleaning job (not hourly)? Thank you for any information.

By Baha from Great Falls, MT

Answers:

Rates for Cleaning Services

I had a very successful business for several years. I charged by the hour or by the job. After awhile it all got very simple. I charged $30 an hour (I'm in the big city). I found that almost all houses took between 4 and 5 hours. It didn't matter what size they were, smaller houses are more cluttered and dirtier, so they take as long as a big house. So I would tell people what the charge would be for....say...4.5 hours, or $135.

And I would also tell them I could give them a firm figure after I cleaned the house 3 times. People seemed OK with that. I also told them that the 1st cleaning could take as much as twice that unless the house had been thoroughly cleaned on a regular basis (ie twice a month). I had a few that took 3 times as long. I considered these "rescue" situations. People knew the situation, and I never had a complaint. Good luck! (04/16/2010)

By Lizzyanny

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 15, 2010 Flag

I want to start my own empty rental unit cleaning service in West Palm Beach, FL. I don't know how much to charge for an apartment or a house. Can anyone help me decide? Do I charge by the job or the hour? What are the going rates for each approach?

By Elizabeth from West Palm Beach, FL

Answers:

Rates for Cleaning Services

Cleaning the whole apartment-$25

Cleaning the whole house-$40 (12/08/2009)

By sunshine64

Rates for Cleaning Services

Why not call a few cleaning services to see what they charge? This way you will have a better idea what to charge. Also maybe you could work for one for a brief time. This way you would learn the tricks of the trade. Best of luck to you. (12/11/2009)

By Amandablue

Rates for Cleaning Services

Hello, my daughter is trying to do this also and was told to charge 15.00 an hour and get a list of priority things the owner wanted and go from there. She is posting posters, but calls are slow. Have you found a way to drum up business?
We are in Ocala, Fl (12/11/2009)

By cybergrannie

Rates for Cleaning Services

Hi, I do this on a regular basis here in MS. For an empty apartment I get from $85 to $100. For a 3 bedroom house it is a little more. I do not give my hourly rates out, but I know about how long it is going to take me to clean it and multiply that by $30 per hour. The more you clean, the more efficient you get at it. It will come naturally after a while as you learn the shortcuts that you can do, and is still a job to be proud of when you are through. I love my job. Good luck.

Kathy (12/13/2009)

By msfixit17

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 2, 2007 Flag
Note: Feedback is in this archive is from 2007, so the figures are likely out of date.

I have an elderly neighbor with a semi-retarded 53 year old daughter that I help out quite a bit. The mother has asked me to help her clean her house. She doesn't get around very well at 84 and the daughter has scoliosis and after working at a workshop she can't do much. I am looking for suggestions as to what to charge them to come in and clean. They have money but I want to be fair. I have done cleaning in the past but that was military housing as people moved out. Any ideas?

Karen from Port Clinton, OH

Answers:

How much should I charge for cleaning?

I pay my housecleaner $45, which translates to $15/hour for three hours. My house is a small ranch-style house and easy to clean.

By Victoria from NJ

How much should I charge for cleaning?

When I had household help last year, I paid $10 per hour for four hours a week, which included general dusting (including cobweb removal, dusting blinds, etc.), thoroughly cleaning both bathrooms, mopping the kitchen floor, and vacuuming carpets as well as "swiffering" hardwood floors. I did not ask her to do laundry, changing beds, dishes, etc. She brought her own tools but used my cleaning supplies. I live in the rural Midwest.

How much should I charge for cleaning?

When I have cleaned houses for elderly people who live on a small fixed income, and they can't do things for themselves such as maybe remaking their beds, things like that and I know it is a hardship for them to pay me I've just charged them $6.00 an hour. When I work for people I know can pay me fine I charge them $7.50 an hour with a 4 hour minimum. So if the job only take me 3 hours I still make $30.00.

By SkyeBlue

How much should I charge for cleaning?

Rates can vary in different areas. I suggest you call a local housecleaning service and use what they charge as a general guideline. It makes a difference, also, when you consider the tasks you will be expected to do. Dusting is easier than scrubbing, etc.

By Doggy

How much should I charge for cleaning?

My husband has just hired someone and is paying her $120 per floor! And the cleaner has her 2 year old with her. I think he's way off base. He got the price from someone else who pays $120 for the whole house, a house similar to ours, but less rooms. We live in Southern PA (a non-up-market town), our house is 2 storyy, 4 bedroom, 3 full bath, 2 powder rooms, typical 1st floor open plan w/laundry room. So don't anyone quote this price because i don't think it's normal ... but by all means, feedback is welcome from those who know the biz!

By Jane

How much should I charge for cleaning?

In Northern NH, people are getting between $12 and 20.00 per hour for basic cleaning.

By happylab_456

How much should I charge for cleaning?

Firstly, it really depends on the market within your state, the duties requested and the labor involved. Always perform a free estimate and allow them to walk you through their home so you are both on the same page as far as what is required.

Allow the size of the home (sq. footage), size of rooms and materials cleaning (flooring, counter-tops, etc.) to determine what will be involved with each individual task. (i.e. ceramic, hardwood, corian, etc.)

Next, determine whether they will be supplying the products or you will. As this will also determine cost.

There are many factors to be considered. You also need to make certain that you include the cost of your gas, travel, insurance, pets, etc. Also, you have to set boundaries as well. Will you be doing light residential cleaning, in-depth cleaning, laundry, etc. b/c this will increase the rate you charge and should be listed as "extra's) I do not clean human or pet waste. I do not do exterior windows, etc. just to give you a basis of consideration. I have found this as the 'norm' in this particular area.

Lastly, as a general rule for Central PA, I charge NOT by hour as you will definitely lose monies, but by job. For a ranch style home it will generally take you 1.5-2.5 hrs. and no less than $75 is fair. A home that is 2-story (3-4 bdrms, 2+ baths, etc.) will generally take 2.5-4 hrs. and no less than $95 should be charged.

I hope this helps as a general rule of thumb, but keep in mind, as noted earlier, you really have to take into consideration all avenues and aspects associated with each individual job b/c each one is uniquely different.

And, for the PA commenter, whose husband pays over $100 per floor, it really should be $100 for total job! (03/20/2007)

By Mel

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A woman who owns a cleaning business.
Starting a Cleaning Business
Business and Legal BusinessAugust 21, 2013
weighing postage
Finding Postage Rates Online
baby sleeping by grass
Setting Up a Green Nursery
Rates for Cleaning a Home for Sale
Inside of Empty new home.
Rates for Cleaning New Construction Homes
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 6:20:31 PM on 10.0.1.151 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.