Severe Back Pain

I have pain in my back that seems to start in the lower back and goes up to the middle of it. I have no pain radiating down my legs. My husband can squeeze my back (like a bear hug) and get my back to "pop" and it does provide some relief. If I walk (say I go grocery shopping), after about 5 or 10 minutes my hips start hurting, then my back hurts.

I also feel like something is "pushing" on my back and making something hurt inside of me. Almost like whatever is out of place is causing some pain in my upper torso (inside). Rest and certain kinds of back popping seem to be the only thing that helps. I can take aspirin, Tylenol, Advil and the pain does NOT stop. It will subside some, but doesn't stop.

I saw a physical therapist twice a week for a month and learned back exercises. I do my back exercises around 3 to 4 times a week. They also do not seem to help or make any difference. I like the exercises, but they don't fix the original problem. I think something is misaligned.

I have slight scoliosis in my back (since I was a teenager). Awhile back the chiropractor told me that I have some arthritis in it (when I was in my late 20s). To me, this doesn't feel like arthritis. It seems to hurt when I move certain ways. Like my hips or something is out of whack.

The physical therapist did put my pelvis back into place and that did remove a lot of the pain. But I'm still having some pain. When I sit in a computer chair I feel like my back needs to be popped. I go for a walk and after a few minutes, my hips hurt then my back starts in. It's really starting to stop me from enjoying life.

I'm only going to be 40 this year! I'm not that old! My question is this. Who should I see about this? A chiropractor? My regular family doctor again? Should I go back to the PT (physical therapist)? Maybe I should go to someone else? My husband had a herniated disk and saw a neurosurgeon for it. I do not think I have a herniated disk though. I think something is just "off".

Please help! I feel like a 90 year old and a 90 year old probably doesn't hurt as much as I do. Thanks!

Misty from Ohio

Severe Back Pain

My husband just had major back surgery for spondolithesis. His legs were not working right and his feet were numb and toes wouldn't lift up. He started with a neurologist who eventually sent him to see an orthopedic surgeon. Everyone told him not to have surgery but we found out after the fact that he was very close to being in a wheel chair if he hadn't had it taken care of. Right out of surgery there was such a difference. He could move his toes and besides the surgery pain, he felt better. It is going to be a long recovery but worth it for him to be able to live a more normal life. Be careful of chiropractors. In some cases they can really help but they can also hurt if you don't know for sure what is going on in your spine.
Karen in Port Clinton, OH (03/19/2009)

By hairyjoe

Severe Back Pain

I have rods in my spine, chronic pain from nerve damage caused by waiting too long to see someone, and chronic headaches. Please find a good chiropractor. With your scoliosis you should be VERY cautious about home treatments. If he/she is not able to help with the pain then go to a pain management doctor. I hope you feel better soon. (03/19/2009)

By Bethmom1961

Severe Back Pain

From someone who also has back pain, hip pain and more, I would suggest an orthopedic Dr. Mine did x-rays and an exam. I would start there. (03/19/2009)

By dbleoangel

Severe Back Pain

I used to have horrible pain in my back. I had lots of other symptoms that indicated a systemic yeast infection. I recommend that you try a good candida cleanse (available from any health food store) and follow an anti-candida diet for a couple of months to see if that makes any difference before doing any kind of major invasive procedures like surgery. A candida cleanse will not hurt anyone at all. If anything, it would make any necessary procedures a lot easier to recover from. I recommend Prescription for Nutritional Healing (a big book you can get at Sam's, Wal-mart, or a health food store). This is where I began my road to recovery from yeast. Made all the difference in the world! (03/19/2009)

By mizzoumom

Man at computer grasping his back in pain
Coping With Severe Back Pain
little girl frowning and holding her ear
Home Remedies for Earache Pain
Using acupressure on a foot.
Using Acupressure for Foot Pain
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
Young man holding his lower back.
Remedies For Lower Back Pain