Sewing MachinesMachines

Sewing Machine Won't Stop Running

My sewing machine was running fine and then the needle jammed and when I tried to sew, the machine just started going very fast by itself. I can only stop it if I switch it off at the mains. I've undone the foot pedal and looked at it and it all looks OK. The wires are secure and the switch for the pressure of the pedal seems OK. Any answers, please?

By Barbara Keeling

The ONLY answer is that you must splash out the cash to have your machine repaired by a qualified repair tech.

There is an electrical connection inside your machine that has been compromised - disconnect it from the mains and keep it disconnected! Pack it carefully and get it to a repair tech.

Most sewing centres have factory trained techs who can safely effect the repairs. Or you can do an online search using the search term '(sewing machine maker name here) service and repair (your area name here)'. For example: Pfaff sewing machine service repair Devon

DO NOT try to fix this yourself as you are risking a very serious electrical shock even though the machine is unplugged - electrostatic build-up is happening in there and the shock can do you very, very serious physical harm. The average home sewer doesn't know how to safely discharge this build-up, so don't risk your safety!

How do I know this? I am a UK based (Scotland) home-sewing teacher, and a self-taught sewing machine repair tech. Your machine needs to be seen by a factory trained tech - not by someone like me who is self-taught and has no certification.

Please PLEASE do not try to use this now very dangerous machine until it has been repaired and re-certified by a trained, qualified tech.

I am having this same issue. It was turned on and doing nothing as I was measuring out my project and all of a sudden started running on its own. I am unable to get it to stop without shutting the power off. My machine is less than 3 years old. I'm looking for a place to take my machine. I am in Des Moines, IA.

Thanks!