Browsing: Sewing Machine Needle Not Catching Thread

Sewing Machine Not Picking Up Bobbin Thread

This question is to find out if I can repair my sewing machine. I have a Singer model #6412 and the thread will not pick up from the bottom. There was a metal "v" looking piece under the bobbin case. Is that part of the case or is there something else that needs to be replaced?

By Deb L.

Answers

Hiya! I'm a sewing teacher and self-taught sewing machine repair tech:)

That metal V looking thing is part of the bobbin case mechanism - you should be able to see it when you lift the bobbin spool from the bobbin case. Try not to disturb it, it can be a finicky little fellow. Consult the user guide (link to a free download at the Singer site follows) if you have disturbed it for a step-by-step guide to replacing it into the machine:

http://www.singerco.com/uploads/dow ... e675e38ed11eefeaa7d7a62f19f53a03.pdf

In the user guide, see also page 18 for basic troubleshooting info relating to your problem.

If that doesn't help, let me ask you a few questions:

Had you just wound a bobbin? Is it possible you pulled the filled bobbin off the winder pin without snapping the pin back to sewing mode position?

Have you been using metal bobbins? (I believe your machine uses a magnetic float bobbin system, using metal bobbins will over time cause your bobbin case to not engage with the needle to form a stitch - you'll need to take the machine to a qualified repair tech for replacement and rebalancing)

Have you been the correct class plastic bobbins? (Your machine should always be used with a 15 class. Other classes may look exactly the same and may even work 'ok' but there are very subtle variations that can cause problems over time.)

Sewing Machine Needle Not Catching Thread
Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesSeptember 22, 2013
Sewing Machine
Bobbin Case Keeps Falling Out of a Sewing Machine
Bobbin Thread Keeps Breaking
Bobbin Thread Keeps Breaking
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Red Sewing Thread
Crocheting With Sewing Thread
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 8:24:54 PM on 10.0.0.63 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.