Sharpening Sewing Scissors Cheaply

Does anyone have a good, cheap way that they have tried to sharpen sewing scissors. Mine have become very dull. I need your help.

Savings Assistant from Kennesaw, GA

Sharpening Sewing Scissors Cheaply

Try cutting aluminum foil with them. This works for scrapbooking punches. (09/22/2008)

By Marta

Sharpening Sewing Scissors Cheaply

Try cutting through one of those dark green "scrubbie" pads. Cut through it a few (4 or 5) times, and scissors should be shiny and sharp again. (09/22/2008)

By ddtop

Sharpening Sewing Scissors Cheaply

You can get your scissors professionally sharpened for a very good price. Just keep your eye out at Fabric stores like Joann Fabrics. They have a professional sharpener come in several times a year. They made my old scissors work like new. But, these days, with all the stuff that's made in China, I've found a "disposable" brand I like at Big Lots for only $2. So at this price, I buy new ones for sewing and cutting hair and save the old ones for wrapping packages and other dirty work around the house. Each time I buy a different color handle so I can keep track of which scissors are new and which ones are well used. (09/22/2008)

By Cyinda

Sharpening Sewing Scissors Cheaply

I picked this up about 7 years ago from a tips program on TV. Sharpen scissors by cutting aluminum foil. It works. Have been doing this since I tried it. (09/23/2008)

By Jo Ann from Sarasota, FL

Sharpening Sewing Scissors Cheaply

Cut through sandpaper. The more you cut, the sharper the scissors. (09/23/2008)

By bellanell

Sharpening Sewing Scissors Cheaply

I cut SOS pads in half. It sharpens the scissors and saves me money since I don't use the SOS pads that often. (09/23/2008)

By Martha

Sharpening Sewing Scissors Cheaply

I have had the same sewing scissors for over 10 years. When they start to get a little dull, I cut through a piece of sandpaper. Works like magic. (09/23/2008)

By hugmehugs

Sharpening Sewing Scissors Cheaply

In addition to providing professional sharpening service, this company offers a large variety of sewing scissors and shears at great prices. (09/24/2008)

By kkhull

Sharpening Sewing Scissors Cheaply

I have used a regular knife sharper and run the blades of the open scissors through the wheel much the same as I would for a straight knife. I have had good results doing this with no added expense. (09/25/2008)

By Penny

Sharpening Sewing Scissors Cheaply

I have a pair of Weiss"inlaid" scissors and must keep them sharp for upholstery. I use an ordinary sharpening stone. The kind with the smooth side and the rougher side. They aren't very expensive, and you can sharpen just about anything with them.

Carefully take the shears apart. Use your thumb and forefinger to hold the blade to the stone and press the angled part of the blade directly flat with the stone. Use the rough surface first. Drip water from the tap on the stone if you'd like, but stay away from things like "3-1 Oil" or even WD40 because they will clog your stone.

Next, draw the blade against the stone as exactly as you can. To you or away from you. Just go in one direction. Just make sure you have the blade slant exactly up against the flat of your stone all the time. So, do the same thing on the "smooth" side, too. Just wipe off with a soft, dry cloth, and put your scissors back together.

Don't worry, if you can't take the scissors apart, you can open them all the way, and can draw the blades across like that.

Hope this helps. (11/23/2008)

By ExtremeFrugalist

Man's hands sharpening scissors on grinding wheel.
Sharpening Scissors
A lock attached to two pairs of nice scissors.
Protecting Your Sewing Scissors
Clean Scissors
Cleaning Scissors
Scissor Holder
Making a Holder for Scissors
Reel Mower Blades
Sharpening a Reel Mower