Shiba Inu Breed Information and Photos

Category Dog Breeds
Shiba Inu
This small agile Japanese dog is was originally bred for hunting. This guide contains shiba inu breed information and photos.

The Shiba Inu dog breed originally hailed from Japan, and still remains the most popular breed in that country today. They were originally bred to flush out small game, hunt birds, and occasionally wild boar. Today they are classified by the American Kennel Club as members of the non-sporting group (no longer bred to perform their original function), and are kept almost exclusively as pets.

Quick facts about Shiba Inu

Area of Origin: Japan; one of the few ancient dog breeds still in existence today.

Original Function: Hunting and flushing small game.

Overall Appearance: Similar to the Akita, though much smaller in stature.

Coat: Shiba Inu have double coats. The outer coat is stiff and straight, and of short to medium length. The undercoat is soft and thick. The hair on the tail is longer and brush-like.

Color: This breed comes in red, black and tan, sesame (red with black-tipped hairs), or white/cream. (Although acceptable in Britain, the white/cream color is considered a major fault in American show dogs.)

Height: Males are 14.5 to 16.5 inches tall. Females are 13.5 to 15.5 tall.

Weight: Males average 23 pounds. Females average 17 pounds.

An Ancient History

Ancient artifacts suggest that the Shiba Inu may have been used as early as 300 B.C. as a hunting dog in the dense, brushy undergrowth of Japan's mountainous regions. Although there is some debate in regards to the true origin of their name, it is thought that Shiba may denote small, (The Shiba is the smallest of the Inu dogs native to Japan), or it may mean brushwood, referring to the brilliant red brushwood trees in which they hunted. Another theory is that the fiery red color of the Shiba is the same as the intense autumn color of the brushwood leaves. Today, with all theories combined, the Shiba is sometimes still referred to as the little brushwood dog.

Originally there were three main varieties of Shiba: the Shunshu Shibu, the Mino Shiba, and the Sanin Shiba, each named for its region of origin. Although similar, the Shibas from each area contributed to differences in the breed types seen today. From the original Japanese native dogs, six distinct breeds, in three different sizes developed:

Large size: The Akita
Medium size: The Kishu, Hokkaido, Shikoku, and Kai
Small size: The Shiba

The Shiba breed was nearly wiped out by World War II bombing raids, and their numbers were reduced even further by a distemper outbreak in 1952. To save the Shiba Inu from extinction, the remaining dogs were taken from remote parts of the country, and all three Shiba types were interbred. The result of that breeding program is the Shiba Inu breed you see today.

Bold in Spirit

Shiba are independent, headstrong, and brimming with self-confidence. Some tend to be domineering, and they may be aggressive with strange dogs. They are loyal and affectionate with those who have earned their respect, but may be territorial and reserved with strangers. One distinguishing vocal characteristic of this breed is the Shiba scream. This high pitched noise may signal one of two things: unhappiness, for example, when they dislike how they are being handled. Or great joy, like when their owner returns home after an extended period of absence.

Known for their Cleanliness

This breed is known for its cat-like fastidiousness. Shiba can often be seen licking their paws and maintaining their coats. Due to their clean nature, they are easily housetrained as puppies. Shiba Inu need a vigorous game, a long walk, or a good run every day to channel their intense energy. Their double coat needs brushing one or two times weekly, and daily during seasonal shedding.

Health Concerns

Overall, Shiba Inu are considered quite vigorous and genetically sound compared to other dog breeds. They have an average lifespan of 12 to 15 years. Health conditions considered to be of concern to the breed include patellar luxation, allergies, cataracts, glaucoma, entropion, and hip dysplasia.

Source: American Kennel Club National Sheba Club of America The Dog Breed Bible by Caroline D. Coile

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Foxy is a 1 year old Shiba Inu. Shibas are alert and good watchdogs loyal to there owners and good with kids, energetic, bold, and spirited. The breed loves to be outside and to be part of the family.

I found Foxy in the newspaper, a lady had a litter of puppies and they were only 7 weeks old. So, I called her up and asked if i could go see them. Foxy was first puppy to run up to me and lick my leg. She had a heart shaped face and was so friendly, so I picked her up and said this is the one I want!

After loosing my Husky I had for 10 years due to her sickness, it was hard to find another dog. I looked online and and in the paper for months trying to find a dog that was right for me. When I found the breed Shiba Inu, I looked it up on the internet and I realized it was perfect for me! Shiba Inus make wonderful pets.

Foxy likes to play outside and go for walks. She likes playing with other dogs and with kids. She is a hunting dog and likes to go hunting with me, she is my little watchdog. Foxy loves to be the center of attention she loves people and kids. Most people mistake her for a fox.

Shiba Inus have a double coat, they are water repellent. When they sleep they curl there tails up to there face like a fox. I have no other pets Foxy is my only pet.

By Kaitlyn

Comment Like this photo? 16

Shiba is an almost 2 year old Shiba Inu that I got about a year ago. She likes to walks and romp! She looks like a fox, and for as young as she ism she listens pretty well and is smart! We have had dogs her age or pups that were very difficult and stubborn to train. Her tail also curls on her back like a bun!

By Felicia from Columbus, OH

Shiba (Shiba Inu)

Comment Like this photo? 4

Abby Boo is turning 13 on July 4th of this year. She is a Sheba Inu. My parents got her from a breeder when she was a year old. Abby likes to take walks in the woods by our house. She loves to run around the house chasing some invisible creature.

By McCollonough from TN

Comment Like this photo? 9

Your Pet's Age
5 years

Your Pet's Breed
Shiba Inu

How and when did you get your pet?
I got my pet from a shelter in 2013. He was about to be put down, but I decided to help the poor dog and adopt him. Now he has been with me for almost 4 years.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
My pet likes to dig, but mostly he likes to jump up in my bed and curl up beside me.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
He is precious to me. I love him with all of my heart and I will never let him go even if I had to die for him.

Comment Like this photo? 2

Koko is a Shiba Inu puppy that we got last December. We had our other Shiba Inu Abby for 14 years before we lost her to cancer. We named her Koko because the breed is from Japan and the name seemed to fit.

Koko (Shiba Inu)

Comment Like this photo? 3

This is our family dog Teddy, adorable isn't he? Teddy is a Shiba Inu (the Akita, sporting dog family from China) he is 2 years old. Teddy is alot of fun and full of energy, he loves to play with the basketball and go on walks.

Teddy (Shiba Inu)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1