Shitzu Breathing Problems

I know a lot of you ThriftyFunFans have Shih tzus. We have two. One of ours makes this funny noise like he can't breath from time to time. We just try to get him to calm down and it eventually goes away. Does anybody know why they do that? I've heard several theories from allergies, heart problems, etc.

Peggygv from San Antonio, TX

Shitzu Breathing Problems

I have two Shih tzu also and both of mine have issues. My female snores really bad and then sometimes sounds like she is snorting; that does not concern me so much; however my male goes into an all out fit with his choking, coughing, and doing this thing that sounds like he can't get any air into his lungs.

I usually pick him up and calm him down and this helps some. Sometimes I take a medicine dropper and get water into his throat, that seems to help some; and then sometimes I feed him some Vaseline off the tip of my finger and that will sort of lubricate his throat. One thing for sure is when this happens to either one of them they want to be very close to me. I often wonder what happens when I am at work and they have one of these fits. I can only pray that does not happen.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. (06/25/2010)

By rjhshop

The same thing that your male is doing is happening to our male shih tzu. He gasps and obviously can't breathe. What I've been doing is prying his mouth open and pressing down on his tongue. This seems to open up his airway and the gagging stops. I am very concerned about what if this happens when we aren't home. I don't know if it's because he is a short nosed dog...who are prone to breathing problems...or maybe heartburn. I think I'm gonna talk to the vet and see if I can't get some answers.

Shitzu Breathing Problems
Yahoo Mail
Troubleshooting Problems with Yahoo Mail
Starting a Lawnmower
Lawn Mower Won't Stay Running
panting dog
Dog is Breathing Heavily and Tongue is Hanging Out
Man wearing a CPAP machine.
Dealing With Sleep Apnea