Shower Enclosure Ideas

Trying to redo a shower enclosure simply and inexpensively means looking for alternatives to the more traditional and sometimes more expensive solutions. This is a guide about shower enclosure ideas.

January 9, 2007 Flag

I am redoing my small bathroom shower stall. Can anyone give me some great ideas for the ceiling to prevent water from making mold and mildew on ceiling from the water moisture. Something other than tile and sheetrock that will prevent this. What other easy ideas can be used for the ceiling that will stay and water moisture want mess it up. Please help. I'm starting on it in 3 days. God Bless.

Angelheart from Clyde, TX

Best Answer

My boyfriend's family moved, they had a mold problem in his bathroom in the basement because it had no ventilation. His mom cleaned the walls and ceiling and repainted them with a mold resistant paint and they haven't had a problem since. My bathroom has a popcorn ceiling and we have the same mold problem, but I plan on stripping the ceiling and painting the whole bathroom just has my boyfriend's mom did. They have a very closed in shower area, so a LOT of water collects on the ceiling, but they haven't had a problem at all since they painted it, and that was months ago!

Best Answer

Just saw a print advertisement from Home Depot and Behr (a paint for mildew). Sure there are other brands out there if you don't have a Home Depot near you.

Best Answer

I worked in 40 different very large apt. complexes as a leasing agent, seeing every sort of ceiling mildew problem possible. NOTHING works other than what we have in our shower: small tiles! We have a

very good exhaust fan that is in the bathroom ceiling that removes moisture to the outside, and in

the 30 + years we've lived here, there's NEVER been

any mildew...EXCEPT behind the silicone caulking between the wall and the tile walls !! God bless you. : )

Best Answer

I have a tiled ceiling above the shower. No mold. The light fixture in the shower stall, which is enclosed in glass, with a metal frame, suffers some rusting on the metal frame. Occasional repainting of the frame works fine.

June 15, 2010 Flag

Can you use self stick vinyl floor tiles on a shower wall?

By Christy from Alexandria, LA

Best Answer

No! There is nothing that seals the cracks between the tiles. Water would get in and the tiles would be damaged. But before they would fall apart, they'd get full of mold. This would be more trouble than it would be worth. A tub surround kit would work much better and be less trouble in the long run. It may even be cheaper than buying all those tiles.

You could try it, but why do you want to do that. It would be a bear to remove them.

not if you dont use the shower or get the walls wet, we have a tub not a shower, and i am going to try this

This is actually something I am researching. Amazes me how many people can't think of a good reason why anyone would want to do it.

For those people, let me say that some people just happen to really like the look of certain tiles. Or, they like a certain look and could only afford it with vinyl tiles instead of ceramic. Or, they don't have the skill set to put up ceramic tiles, but, they might have the skill set to put up vinyl tiles and then, somehow, seal them.

But, for me, I live in an apartment where the tub surround is actively peeling from the wall. Don't give me advice about making the owner fix it - trust me when I say that is not, currently, the solution to the problem, because, I don't want to take the time to explain the full situation.

It smells moldy, there is a large crack in more than one place and so the tub surround needs to go. I have an extremely limited budget and even should the owner get involved, so do they. Plus, there are the constraints caused by health issues and the desire to spend less time without a functional shower, and a person who has Asperger's is involved, who would probably just use the shower without the surround no matter what I said, if that situation lasted too long.

So, putting up vinyl tiles and sealing them, somehow, might be the only way to make the project at all affordable, and, get the job done quick enough that everything wouldn't be ruined by the impatience of a person with a neurological condition.

And, I am allergic to mold, so, I need it to get done. Therefore I am looking for options that might possibly be afforded.

And, for those who say that vinyl tile cannot be used in the bathroom, I have vinyl tiles on my bathroom floor. They work fine. I have zero problem with them, despite the amount of water that regularly gets on the floor from people showering.

So, maybe vinyl floor tiles used as a shower wall might not be the best or brightest idea for those with enough money to go some other way. But, the question is not if you think it is the best and brightest idea. The question is, is it possible?

That question deserves an answer, not based on opinion, but, considered thought which involves some delving into materials that would be needed to make it possible, if there are any. And, consideration of the feasibility of it being worthwhile considering the other materials needed.

IE: If one had to then Varathane the entire wall and wait for it to dry for a week, that would significantly raise the cost and inconvenience; which might make zero difference to someone who wanted a very specific design, but, would make a difference to someone who wanted low cost and a quick fix.

And, since we are on a subject where ceramic tiles are often mentioned as an alternative, what about those basically peel and stick ceramic tiles? Do they work for a shower wall? And, if not, can they be made to work? How?

I've read of people using vinyl plank flooring on shower walls, actually; but, unfortunately, they did not go into enough detail to let others know how to successfully follow their idea for themselves.

Home and Garden Home Improvement BathroomNovember 10, 2016
Ideas for a Breakfast at Tiffany's Bridal Shower, Tiffany's gift box.
Ideas for a Breakfast at Tiffany's Bridal Shower
Baby Shower Cookies
Baby Shower Favor Ideas
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
🎄