Sewing MachinesMachines

Singer Esteem 1732 Making Loose Stitches

I have a Singer Esteem 1732 and it is not giving the right stitches. The stitches are loose and they don't look normal. My machine was on shelf for three years. I did not use in this 3 years, but it was fine before. I tried to adjust stitch width and stitch length, but it is doing the same thing. Please help me. Thanks!

By Kristina

Have you read through your user guide for troubleshooting tips? Here is a link to download (free!) a copy of the manual if you have misplaced it:

http://www.sing  truction-manual-(e_f_s).pdf

Usually loose stitches indicates a tension adjustment is wanted, the manual has clear line drawings (page 28) showing the different results from a too-loose/tight tension, and how to adjust it.

Even though your model comes with an automatic tension setting that should adjust automatically to the different fabrics and thread without you having to do anything manually, that feature doesn't always work. You can try manually adjusting the tension and stitching a few lines, then setting it back to 'auto' (see the manual for guidance) to see if that will 'reboot' the feature. Doing that works-sometimes, not always.

If after trying everything suggested in the manual to fix the problem of loose stitches you still have loose stitching, you may need to take your machine to a Singer qualified repairman. Be sure to find out how the problem was caused and solved to avoid accidentally repeating the 'user-error':)

Well, sorry about that, I just tried the link to be sure it would take you straight to the manual, and find it gives you an error message.

SO, click on the drop down menu for 'Customer Support' to find the navigation link to 'Instruction Manuals'. Once on that page, type in the numbers '1732' and hit 'Search', a link to a free download will appear.

My first thought was adjusting the top tension. Can you find where it is?