Browsing: Skull Cap Patterns

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Skull Cap Patterns

Skull caps or do rags are easy to make for yourself, a spouse, or friend that works outside. Similarly, you can make a more decorative crochet one. This is a guide about skull cap patterns.

Skull Caps
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 29, 2009 Flag

My hubby will be having Deep Brain Stimulation surgery next month. After the surgery, he will have to wear bandannas or skull caps on his head to help keep the surgery spots clean.

I would like some men's skull cap crochet patterns I can make for him. I've checked some of the sites with crocheted caps, but most of them have caps for women. The kind I'm looking for are the ones like you sometimes find on websites for military skull caps. Thank you so much.

By DiJones from Wilsonville, OR

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't have the pattern any more. My father was bald headed and got cold in the winter so he wore a skull cap to bed. When I was a kid I learned to crochet the granny square and I simply made it round rather than square. I put two dc in one loop every so often to keep it round and flat. When it was large enough around I did the reverse so it would bowl shape.. If it came in too fast I just ripped it back a row and redid it.

(I was a practical joker so at Christmas time I always added a pompom.) My father loved me and humored me and wore it any way. God bless.

I went on to a place on the net that sells these military skull caps to get a good look. First off I'd like to say you can make a more comfy skull caps for your husband out of a cotton-lycra stretch knit fabric. Just sew 2 half circles of stretch fabric together. Sewy, fabric caps would be more comfortable for him to sleep in or wear anytime. Just take one of his stocking hats & lay that over the folded fabric as a pattern. Make sure the most stretch goes side to side not top to bottom (on the hat)

As far as crocheting, If you're not a beginner but are an intermediate Crocheter, you don't need a pattern (I've made lots of these without a pattern) You start on the top center of the head making a chain then crocheting 10 or 12 single crotchets inside that chain when you get back to the first single crochet go over that one & continue in a spiral pattern... Just keep crocheting in the spiral pattern adding 2 single crochets in one stitch (increases) ever 4 or 5 stitches to keep the beginning of the hat flat. After it's about 5 or 6 inches around you'll need to slowly add less & less stitches to bring the flatness to a curve. When the hat fits your hubby's skull you'll need to keep the stitches the same & not add or decrease to make straight rows (this area will be the sides). Continue until it's down to his ears or as long as you need it.

A warning: Crocheted hats are not very stretchy... That's why most hats are knit. You can use a sock yarn with elastic added to help this cap stretch a bit more. But if you can knit, you can make a hat that will have more stretch & give. Another option would be to crochet the cap a tiny bit wider that needed, then with a needle & thin elastic thread (it comes on a spool where other elastic is sold in white or black) thread this thin elastic into & around the bottom of the cap. Keep the elastic thread (also called "bobbin elastic") inside the stitches all the way around. I would sew in 3 - 5 rows of thin elastic.

Yarn Types:

1) I would use either cotton Knit-cro-sheen (the cotton make for lace & doilies) Knit-cro-sheen is Mercerized which means it's been boiled so it won't shrink when washed. You can also buy the thicker doily cotton or work with 2 or 3 strands of Knit-cro-sheen. For men's things always use single crochet because double crochet can look lacy & feminine.

2) Sock yarn has elastic added. This might also be comfy as long as you don't buy a brand that has wool in it.

* I would sew these out of a stretch cotton or old T-shirts if this were my husband because they might not be very comfy crocheted. Cotton Lycra fabric is so much softer & easy care.

I just found what you want! it's a chemo cap crocheted from soft 100% cotton for women, just make it a bit larger for a man. It's a supper-easy pattern! You'll have to join Bernat's site, but it's free & they don't sell your info.

http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=4603

If you can't find it this way, just log on to: www.bernat.com & search "chemo cap".

Thank you to every one for responding. I was able to make a crocheted cap a bit too large, then lined it with a light weight cotton fabric and put some elastic thread on the edges. It stretches, it covers the wounds and it is very washable. Finding the right fit was a bit tricky, but it's warmer than just crochet and I can make several colors for him. Again, thank you.

Read More Answers...

June 18, 2009 Flag

My sister has a ton of fabric. She is looking for a simple pattern to make doo-rags for cancer patients. Does anyone have one to share? Thank you.

By oreonut2000 from Berwick, ME

http://fosteringlove.tripod.com/id12.html-or search for"doo rag patterns"good luck.

Interested to know what a doo-rag is?

<b>Editor's Note:</b> Wiki says,

"A do-rag, also spelled doo-rag, du-rag, durag is a piece of cloth used to cover the head. A popular folk etymology claims that the term derives from drive-on rag, a term first used by U.S. soldiers during the Vietnam War to refer to a muslin bandage often used as a head covering."

McCalls 3193 is a child's pattern for shorts, shirts and what they call a "headwrap". You might be able to use that--just cut bigger than the pattern. The easiest method I found was to buy a doo rag and cut it apart and use that as my pattern

June 24, 2013 Flag

How do you make a do rag from a purchased bandana?

By Sue H from Perkasie, PA

Starting with a patterned hankerchief, fold it in half to make a triangle, wrap the longest part of that triangle around your forehead, using the two tip ends to tie a knot behind your head. Tuck the third tip end and the excess cloth under the tight knot you tied. I like to pull the whole thing down to my neck and then pull it back up to my ears so that it catches all my hair, then I'll tuck in that excess to make it all look neat.

April 12, 2010 Flag

I'm looking for a free pattern for skull caps to sew. Does anyone have a pattern they could share? Thank you very much.

By Lynn

Crafts Clothing HatsApril 27, 2013
Men's Crocheted Skull-Cap
Making a Men's Crocheted Skull-Cap
baby sleeping
Cradle Cap Remedies
A plate of skull cupcakes.
Making Skull Cupcakes
three boys wearing doo rags
Du (Doo) Rag Pattern
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 10:28:56 PM on 10.0.1.230 in 584 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.