Sloppy Joes

I'm looking for an easy homemade Sloppy Joe sauce recipe. Does any one have a secret to making delicious Sloppy Joes? I thought this would help cut back on my grocery shop bill if I make more homemade and then I could freeze for later use.

Thank you for any help.

By Rachelle from Denver, CO

Answers:

Sloppy Joe Recipe

Ingredients

• 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon
  • garlic powder
  • 8 hamburger buns
Directions

Place ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until evenly browned, stirring to crumble. I like to use a potato masher to even out the lumps. Add onion and celery, cover the pan, and cook until tender and transparent, about 5 minutes. Drain off any grease.

Stir the tomato soup (undiluted), ketchup, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce into the beef mixture. Season with salt and garlic powder. Heat to a simmer over low heat, and cook until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently to prevent it from burning on the bottom.

Spoon the hot beef mixture onto buns, which may be toasted first, and serve. I serve it as open face sandwich,(just 1 slice on bread or 1/2 bun). Good luck. (12/08/2009)

By kffrmw88

Sloppy Joe Recipe

• 1 lb of hamburger
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup mustard
Brown the hamburger and onion. Salt and Pepper to taste. Add the other ingredients and simmer for a while. (12/09/2009)

By jasonwilsonokc

Sloppy Joe Recipe

I just brown a pound of ground beef with an onion chopped up in it, then use a packet of the Walmart brand dried sloppy joe mix. The mix is very cheap, something like 49 cents. I think it directs you to also add a can of tomato paste. I actually like it better than the pricy canned Manwich stuff.

The other day I was looking for a quick lunch. I browned a little bit of ground beef with some dried onion mixed in, drained the grease, and added some ketchup and a little bit of brown sugar. It tasted pretty much like sloppy joes, too. (12/09/2009)

By ChloeA

Sloppy Joe Recipe

This one is called Taco Joes, and it couldn't be simpler! Brown 1 lb ground beef, add 1 can of condensed tomato soup (like Campbell's, straight from the can), and 1 cup of your favorite salsa. Simmer to blend the flavors. We use it as an open-face sandwich, because our salsa is rather juicy. A slice of cheese on the bun before adding the Taco Joe is delicious, also. Bon appetite! (12/09/2009)

By SunshineGal

Sloppy Joe Recipe

Sloppy Joes

• 2 lbs. ground beef
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 4 T Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 t. salt
  • 2 t chili powder
  • 6 c. tomato juice
Brown meat, add flour and then rest of ingredients. Simmer 15-20 min until
thickened. Serve on hamburger buns or over bread.

Crock Pot Sloppy Joe

• 3 pounds Ground beef
  • 2 tablespoons Shortening
  • 1 cup Onion - chopped
  • 1 cup Celery - diced
  • 1 Green pepper - chopped
  • 1 Garlic clove - minced
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 cup Catsup
  • 3 Beef bouillon cubes -- crushed
  • 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
  • 1 can Tomato paste -- 6 0z.
  • 1 1/4 cups Water
  • 3 tablespoons Vinegar
  • 3 teaspoons Brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Dry mustard
Heat shortening in skillet and brown meat, discard fat. Combine all ingredients in removable liner, stirring well. Place liner in base. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours; or high 3-4 hours; or auto 5 hours. Serve over warmed burger buns or noodles.

(12/09/2009)

By micksgirl

Sloppy Joe Recipe

I posted two recipes but I tell you what I do. I buy two cans of manwich or the store brand whichever is cheaper that month. I use about 2 to 3 lbs of hamburger. I brown the hamburger with some garlic, oregano, cumin and chili powder, drain it well then dump into my crockpot. I pour in the cans of manwich, a whole diced onion and a whole diced green onion and let her go for a couple of hours. Then I put what we don't eat into freezer containers and the guys take out what they want when they want it. Oh yeah and I also add about half to 2/3 of a bar of pepper jack cheese to ours, but you may not like it cheesy. We love it. I don't like mine on buns but it's fantastic over fritos. (12/09/2009)

By micksgirl

Sloppy Joe Recipe

Rachelle I thought you might like to know, almost any recipe for Sloppy Joe's or Spaghetti sauce can be stretched almost double by adding grated carrots and or cabbage! Cook til the vegetables you've added are totally soft usually about 20 minutes or so depending on how finely shredded or grated they are. I was a home childcare provider for 20 years and I always used to do this for the kids and they loved it! I even had a couple of their moms ask me for my recipe cause their kids wouldn't eat sloppy joes for them! Of course we never told the kids what my secret ingredient was! I can identify with the people on those TV commercials where the mom keeps interrupting dad when he tries to read the label that says the ravioli has a full serving of vegetables! It really does work though! (12/09/2009)

By jomomma1955

Sloppy Joe Recipe

My daughter found this one on allrecipes.com and it's delish!

• 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper (sometimes I make it without)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp mustard
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 3 tsp brown sugar
  • salt to taste
  • pepper to taste
Cook medium heat beef, onion, and green pepper until meat is browned; drain liquids. Add remaining ingredients, mix together. Reduce heat and simmer for 20/30 minutes. (12/09/2009)

By kghsave

Sloppy Joe Recipe

Someone told me the other day to use the orangish colored Western Salad Dressing for sauce. I fried some hamburger the other day for something and tried it and it was very good and that was without your onion and green pepper. (12/12/2009)

By murphthejo

Sloppy Joe Recipes, Sloppy joe on a plate with curly fries.
Sloppy Joe Recipes
Venison Sloppy Joes Recipe
Venison Sloppy Joes Recipe
Sloppy Joe Pocket Recipes
Sloppy Joe Pocket Recipes
Sloppy joes for a large group.
Making Sloppy Joes for a Large Group
Homemade Sloppy Joes - sloppy joe with tots
Homemade Sloppy Joes
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 10:54:00 AM on 10.0.0.241 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.