Slowing Cooking a Steak in the Oven

Category Cooking Tips
Slow Cooked Steak
One method of cooking a steak that produces a tender flavorful result, is slow cooking in the oven. This is a guide about slowing cooking a steak in the oven.

My daughter put stewing steak in the oven without browning it first, will it be edible, tasteless or tough?

Cazzbees from Lancashire

It might be a little dry and lacking in flavor but it is edible. Make gravy to go with it.

Ditto what 'perfumed fan' said below.

If it does come out too tough/dry...dont toss it:

Now that they have made pork chops so lean I can't cook a chop to save my life without being on the dry side. For some odd reason when I slice up the leftovers in small cubes and put it with the leftover stuffing bits and the gravy and microwave it the next day for lunch it is as moist as can be. You think the extra cooking the second time would make it even worse but it isn't. LOL.

As long as it is cooked slow, it shouldn't be touch. The reason for browning is to give it a "crust" and the flour helps thicken the juice. It has nothing to do with flavor. I rarely brown my roasts and oven stakes before baking. As long as you add plenty of seasoning (I like to use onion soup mix), it should taste fine.

I always dredge my stew meat in flour, first, then brown it,

in oil, bacon fat; then add water. wine, or broth/stock, cover and braise in oven or crockpot.

If it is cooked on a lower heat, very slowly for a few hours, it should not be tough at all. Usually, the slower meat is cooked, the more tender it is. So, it depends on your oven temperature.

Don't brown steak before cooking. Never had a problem, just put stewing steak in pyrex dish with a finely chopped onion, a little oil (rapeseed I use) and a couple of stock cubes. In oven about an hour or so at 200 deg, (depends on quantity - use common sense).

Juices make lovely gravy with gravy granules if desired. Always gets eaten. Served with mashed potatoes, 1 root and 1 green veg.

When I have this situation, I put the steak into the crockpot, surround it with the cooking liquid, and cook it all day if need be. I cook it on high for 1 or 2 hours in the crockpot (am just trying to make sure it is hot enough to begin with)and then switch to low.

For instance, if I take it out of the oven, it will certainly be hot if it goes directly into the crockpot. But if I've refrigerated it overnight, then it'll spend more time on 'high' in the crockpot.

Exactly like "just a man".

Chef Jacques Pepin has a method of searing steak, then cooking in a slow oven for a long time. Does anyone know the details?

Thanks,
Holly from Richardson, TX

Anonymous

Couldn't find this particular chef's recipe on a search but he does sell his general how to tips on CD ...

His way of skillet/oven sear may not be the same but it's most likely very close to this one that I've used ... I like my steak medium rare so I oven cook for 2x2 instead of 3x3:

Buy quality cuts of steak 1" - 1.5" thick that will fit in a skillet

Bring steak to room temperature

Rub olive oil, black pepper, and a pinch of salt to the steak

Heat an all-metal skillet in the oven to 500 degrees

Put hot skillet on the stove at high heat; leave oven on 500 degrees

Sear steak for 30 seconds; flip and sear other side for 30 seconds

Place skillet and steaks back in oven for 3 minutes; flip steak and leave in oven for 3 more minutes (3 minutes should produce a medium steak that is slightly pink in the middle)

Remove skillet and steaks from oven and cover with tin foil for 2 minutes (the steak actually continues to cook during this time)

You can google him and find his website. But, what I do, is put my spices in the pan cold, to keep the steam from clogging up the holes (one of my many offerings here!). Then, I sear the meat good on both sides, and put it with some spuds and onions in the crock pot. I ad some A1, Teriyaki, and a bit of catsup and a beef boulion cube. The next day, you can eat it all with a spoon!

I don't know how his goes, but this is my personal take on it, my Mom always made this, and it's delicious.

You can use most any type of steak, and pork chops are even better.

First you season the meat as desired and then sear it on both sides in a frying pan. Put it in a baking dish and then slice potatoes and onions over it to cover. Once this is done, put just a little water in the bottom of the pan and then cover it with aluminum foil. Put in a 325 degree oven and cook for aproximately 25-30 mins or until the potatoes are done (soft). Take the foil off for the last 5 mins or so, allowing the potatoes to brown.

This is delicous!

If you were going to brown a steak on both sides in a pan and then place it in a hot oven to continue cooking, do you have a suggestion for oven temp and minutes for cooking?

Please note the inch width of the steak in your response.

Holly from Richardson, TX

If you want the steak to have a grilled taste, salt and pepper steak and brown on both sides. Have your oven set at 500; after it is pre-heated, put your steak in the oven. Depending on your taste - rare, medium, done, you may cook the steak anywhere from 3 to 7 minutes on each side. I use my cast iron skilled to brown steak and then place it in oven. It is oven safe for this very hot oven.

About how far away fron the flame on the broiler do yu put the steak?

Or are you just putting it ( the steak in the pan ) on the upper or is it the middle shelf for 3-7 minutes?

thnks!

thnks!

I want to slow cook a beef round sirloin. I have two pieces, one is 3.77 lb and the other is 4.97 lb. I am going to cook them in the same pan at the same time. How long would you recommend I cook it? And at what temperature? Thank you.

By glorita from SLC, UT

Anonymous

Here's a recipe for crockpot. You can substitute the cream of mushroom with beef broth, etc:

http://allrecip  oast/Detail.aspx

And here's oven slow cooking info: http://www.ochef.com/185.htm

Hope this helps :-)

For me, roast beef is done when I stick the fork in it and it falls apart on it's own. I cook it in water as usual with packets of onion soup mix and a can of mushrooms at 350 for the first while then turn it down to 300 or lower and let it slow cook til it falls apart.