Small Biting Bugs

If you are being bitten by small bugs, identifying them is the first step to getting rid of them. This guide is full of tips for getting rid of tiny biting bugs.

I have these tiny white bugs look like tiny grains of salt. On the hardwood floors, as well as, the carpet they look like lint. They are on my mattress encasement, sheets, everything in the house. They look like dust on furniture. I have so many bites that itch, burn, and will not heal. It is a chore to go to bed because I know what's coming. They are all over the house, bathrooms and kitchen. What are these things and how do I get rid of them? They are even on my pets.

By Judy

Answer Was this helpful? 3
Best Answer

Unknown bugs can often be eliminated on household carpets, upholstery and the like with dry 20 mule team Borax. Leave down for 2 weeks before vacuuming. 2 to 2 1/2 cups per average size room. Since they are on everything including hard surfaces I would also spray with pyrethrins which are also natural and not poisonous.

Best Answer

Same problem! My hubby is the only one getting bitten/bothered. These are the things we've tried and they seemed to work for awhile, but when it got hot, and rainy, they hatch almost everyday. They are called Midges, noseeums, etc.

1. Put ammonia, 1 cup full strength down all drains, followed by 1 cup hot water. Leave. Repeat a few times each week.

2. Put 1 cup white vinegar in washing, on hot, dry on hot, put clothes in plastic bag, seal and tie until use. Even better, we've got a freezer and put them in there, including shoes for 24 hours, or until needed.

3. The thing that helped the most was taking Vitamin B Complex, and Brewers Yeast Suppliment.

The whole house needs to be treated, everyone has to pitch in. The bugs had completely left him alone until a couple of weeks ago when we had several days of rain, added with heat and they thrive.

You can also spray a 50/50 of white vinegar/water on everything, or 50/50 alcohol/water works, too.

Check inside and under all furniture, drawers, cupboards, etc. And remove all nests and spray.

There is so much to this, I know. These buggers are next to impossible to completely eradicate because they hatch, molt and hatch again, several times. Each stage is a little bigger and peskier than the last.

I feel for anyone who had to go through this. It has nothing to do with not being clean or hygienic, and it's so hard when others, especially family and friends think you're crazy. Sometimes you think maybe you are. But I'm here to tell all of you... You are NOT crazy!

Best Answer

I probably never would have thought anything about the itchy spots or crawly sensations I was having if not for one night lying in bed looking at my phone and I saw a tiny, tiny white bug on the screen. It was a little hard to squash I almost thought it a flea but it had more of a hard carapace. A bedbug nymph first came to mind. I have so many other health problems that I take medications for allergies being one of them. So sometimes I get hives. Plus I'm peeling from a slight sunburn from a few weeks ago which is causing some itching as well.

But the appearance of this little white bug has been "bugging" me. Every time I get another bite, itchy spot or creeping sensation I'm searching for the culprit. I've searched my bed for signs of bed bugs. Some in my apartment complex has had issues with them a few months back so I am paranoid about keeping an eye out for them. And I have long hair and anyone whose ever had to put permethrin in their hair and use a nit comb knows it can be a right pain in the arse. So if my head gets crawly I'm so definitely checking my hair.

After doing a bit of research and reading the horror stories posted here I don't think all of these are the same little bastard of a bug. But I think I have found my culprit. And it may help a few people out there as well. Bird mites. Or even rodent lice. But mine is probably bird mites.

This spring I discovered the vent covering or my exhaust fan vent leading from my bathroom to the outside is broken. Making it a very lovely place for a bird's nest. Every morning I could go into the bathroom and hear birds in my belfry, so to speak. But now the research I'm reading is saying once the fledgling birds leave the nest the mites will go in search of other warm blooded hosts to feed on. Even enter through the ears and nose and mouth causing internal symptoms if left untreated long enough.

But even if you have black or red or white bugs it can be different species of bird mites. So get your homes looked over. Read this article and then look for a specialist in your area. I sure hope this helps someone out there that may feel that's they are at the end of their rope. There's someone who believes you. You're not crazy. And you're not alone. Blessed be.

http://www.birdmites.org/FAQ.html

Zepyrmistt1 AT yahoo.com

I had the same problem, with invisible biting bugs while I sleep. No bed bugs, no pets for fleas, but I think the culprit was in dust. Now the problem is back. The last time the problem ended completely was after I had the house tented for termites. No more bites at all for years, until now. So sorry you have been through hell with your situation.

These could be scabie mites. They will bite and burrow when your sleeping. If your scratching body areas use permetherin creme at once, neck to toe, then put all linen in hot dryer. If they've advanced to burrowing in skin (red very itchy areas) you'll have to additionally consider Ivermectin via a physician prescription Good luck.

I have very very small almost un-noticeable sized black and white jumping, biting insects (or at least I am assuming that's their species) in my house. They originated from my mattress somehow a year ago. I got a bedbug sheet and had someone come in after that and everything went back to normal.

My parents think I am crazy to be bringing it up again since it's been about a year! But for the last few days, since I changed my sheets and took off the bedbug sheet also by accident, they have come out to play and infest my entire household once again. I can't even sleep well because they are non stop making me itch, hurt from bites, etc. Anyone, can you help me identify these bugs(?) and the way I can kill them once and for all? Please email me through this site, thank you!

By Julia from Newtown, PA

I have these small bugs now for over 2 years they started from fleas in garden from neighbours dog. I had council out to spray as they got in my home. They are thrips the small black one like dots or some times they are small and long the small white hard back pests are spring tails. They breed so fast its hard to get rid of them.

My health have suffered, I have moved home 3 times and still they are with me. They are so small. They are also air born, doctors don't know what to do my Mp don't care and says he cannot do anything. I am intouch with others who are also suffering no one will believe you and they drive you mad many people have taken their lives from this.

I was shocked at how many people are suffering I also came close to ending my life as I cannot see it ending It is no life living this way. They get in clothes, picture frames, carpets, food, computer screens and in the TV. I spray most days to keep it down but they breed so fast. I am in UK but they are all over the world. It needs many to get together and fight this or it will never end

Anonymous

thank you for all your information

Anonymous

The truth is that they're not actually bugs that you believe are biting, crawling, and stinging you all over your body. In fact it's actually motile static fibers, dust, and lint that seem to be drawn to your body and especially the hair and skin areas. Then they'll began moving about as if some electricity inside of your body is activating their movement. I'm not exactly certain yet on how to rid myself of them but at least you know that you aren't seriously infested with actual live bugs. And if you'll notice your symptoms will flare up when you're exposed to an dusty environment such as in someone's home and also at night as well.

I happen to be this time next to the tape and I felt something cowling in my chin so I got the tape and this is what I got. After months finally I was able to get this thing I guess the microscope pay off. This is what I feel cowling in my face legs and everywhere when I sleep and sometimes all day when I'm in my house I miss lot of sleep I'm tired is been about 1 year and half. This thing bites and itch but lives no marks at all. I move to a new house got new furniture and this things still here. Is a very long story but I try everything. I'm ready to try forbid 4f. I find a person online that claims that forbid 4f solve the problem I'm just waiting for it to arrive. 8 oz $206 very expensive plus gloves mask and the pump. I run out of money no more savings don't know what I'm going to do next if forbid 4f des not work.

https://youtu.be/-BkQM5b9ZO8

https://youtu.be/51z2bO2zP1U

If you think you know what type of bug this is please help me and let me know. This is my email address: bugsitching@gmail.com

Thank you.

Hi Julia, I went through this about 1-1/2 years ago. Had exterminators come in and no one found anything. I have a problem with bats in attic and other pests like squirrels that also get in and I am thinking that they must have nests up there. With nests comes mites. Do some research on mites and call your doctor to see if he can give you cream or oral medication that will keep the mites off you. Constant cleaning is a must and gets so tiring. Put dirty clothes in bags and when ready to wash them take them out carefully to put them in washer, as not to give them a chance to get away. Go to home depot or Lowe's and buy foggers. There are several types so choose one that covers a broad number of insects including mites. They come in cans, packs of 6 or 8. Read instructions and place one in every room, attic, garage, bedrooms, hall ways, kitchen, living room, dining room, family room, basement. Start all of them and leave the house. You can return after 3 or 4 hours. I had exterminators come in and I spent thousands of dollars and I still had to bomb a week after they were done. This is such a hard thing to control but stick with it, it will get better.

On occasion I have found these small black or dark bugs, that when I look closely, have white stripes on them. They are mostly in the window sills, but I also have found a few when I swept my kitchen floor. So now I'm getting a new broom and cleaning out the vacuum. I do have a dog and cat that are kept clean. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any help is appreciated.

By Jos C. from Northern CA

I think you might be describing carpet beetles, I would.recommend you read this page: http://www.ipm.  OTES/pn7436.html

Hope this helps!

This sounds like flour weevils. They live in any flour product. If you have flour (or cake mixes etc.) that are more than one year old, get rid of it. They came in with a flour product and they will soon be gone.

Anonymous

They are carpet or furniture beetles

I have tiny white, lint like, airborne biting bugs. What are they and how do I get rid of them?

By Maria E from Sarasota, FL

Edited: I have noticed that these new vapor cigarettes seem to be a problem. In addition, the probiotic type diet - - eating saurkraut or kimchi (fermented cabbage) and cutting out the sugar seems to have worked for me. Note that the chemicals used in these vapor cigarettes are mainly from China and they do not have any government inspections/limitations on what they can put in them. These ecigarettes have helped me quit smoking tobacco cigarettes but they are certainly a chance threat in many other limitless ways. You should try to at least drop this junk and see if it helps. These vapor ecigarettes have been out for the last several years and that is roughly the time when most people have started taking note of their symptoms. I can definitely feel the difference! It seems that there are other possible causes for invisible bugs but quitting this junk first is the cheapest route in getting rid of these bug like sensations. Obviously, there may be multiple causes for the crawling and biting but it is good to rule out chemicals that you have direct control over. I hope this works and if it does help please let everyone else know your results. Thank you and good luck.

I have tiny white and brown insects in my kitchen units and now in my bathroom, as well as on top of the toilet and the window sills. I need help, please.

By Maya from Oldham

Answers:

Tiny Bugs in My House

I found out quite by accident that bugs detest Fantastic Heavy Duty spray cleaning product that can be bought rather inexpensively. It kills the little buggers on contact and if you clean your home with it continues to keep bugs at bay. (10/21/2010)

By grannygirl

Tiny Bugs in My House

Just buy yourself a can of Raid and kill them, buy a couple of cans and spray the whole house. (10/21/2010)

By sickandsexy

I have tiny bugs all over my house. They are like book lice and are in everything I look at, kids toys, even in my drawers. When I want to wear a top I inspect it and there is a tiny bug in it, it's making me feel disgusted. Help me please.

By Angelcake from UK

Answers:

Tiny Bugs In My House

Tiny bugs. Don't know what a book mite looks like, but will google it when I'm done.

Best bet for starters. Throw out everything in every room not needed, old, unused, from newspapers, magazines, cereal boxes, clothing etc. Wash anything washable you want to keep. Make a warm water, soap, bleach solution and wipe down everything which can be wiped in every room. Dust all areas. Put an old t shirt on a broom and wipe corners of all walls, behind furniture, under furniture, and ceiling corners. If you have a very old piece of furniture, with cloth, foam or stuffing, consider tossing it out. Same for any old cushions, pillows, quilts, anything that might be nest areas. Same with old plants which might have dead leaves, branches, etc.

Decaying houseplants can harbor quite the colonies of bugs, which I didn't know until this summer myself. Had a bunch of plants in a planter on front porch, most of them died while I was gone, from being over watered by someone trying to be a helper. I didn't think to toss them, gnat type things everywhere. It took us a lot of cleaning, poking, tossing, and reading on web, to figure out where they were coming from. Who knew?

Bugs like dusty, crumbly, spider webby areas, and they make even more of the same. Sometimes all it takes is a little piece of decaying fruit left somewhere by a child.

I don't like bug sprays. Over the years they are very damaging to our bodies, especially to children. So I just try to handle it the old fashioned way. Takes more time, but then you know where everything in your house is, you find things you lost, and you feel good. (08/25/2009)

By PIKKA

Tiny Bugs in My House

Please look into Collembola (Springtails). They were never considered a human parasite and some biologists still don't believe it, but they are. I know as I have felt biting and found them on my skin. They love damp warm areas and typically feed on fungus and bacteria. For some unknown reason, they make their way indoors and start feeding on people. Many biologists are now accepting that they do feed on certain humans. I had a small amount of toe nail fungus on my toenail. I don't know if that was what attracted them to me in the first place or not, but to say it's been a nightmare is an understatement.

I am currently looking into getting new windows (they are old and have mold on them), and I was told to get rid of all moisture sources in the house. I may very well buy a dehumidifier in each room. I find apple cider vinegar does a great job killing them. I actually add it to my bath water every night when I soak before bed to help with the biting sensations.

Best of luck. I am dealing with this horrific problem as well. (08/28/2009)

By brat789456

Tiny Bugs in My House

I have the same issue as far as using anything toxic. I have pets and a five year old boy so I don't want to use anything toxic either. I read somewhere that mint oil like peppermint oil is a great miticide/pesticide. I also find tea tree oil good as well, but I wound up purchasing Kleen Green because I know tea tree oil is toxic to cats so I use it on myself, but don't want to be spraying that stuff where my cat can get it.

Tea tree oil also has been known to cause breast enlargement in males if used for a prolonged period of time. Because I am female I use it as I don't need to worry about that. I have also found that any kind of orange cleaner kills live bugs. I had an ant problem and sprayed them with a naturally orange cleaner product I bought at the grocery store and they died instantly.

Also, I use Borax and vacuum frequently. Borax will get on the little buggers feet and when they clean themselves it causes them to dehydrate and die. Sprinkle on your carpets. Let sit and vacuum up very well. It is non-toxic, but in my opinion, I don't know how good it is for animals to be sitting in it if you don't vacuum it up, it may cause skin irritation because it is "salty." I even sprinkled it on my mattress, let it sit and vacuumed it up.

The Kleen Green says that its enzymes eat away at the bugs outer protective coating in order to get inside and kill them and it is non-toxic. You could bathe in it and use it on pets as well. I just bought it so I can't say much about it yet as I haven't used it long enough. It's a bit pricey. If anything at this point, it makes me feel like I am doing something productive, but that will remain to be seen. Good luck! (08/30/2009)

By brat789456

Tiny Bugs in My House

To Angelcake from the UK: The tiny bugs that look like lice can also be bird lice that come from bird nests, like swallows, that are anywhere on a house. Birds are loaded with lice and so are their nests. The lice leave the nests and enter the house anywhere there is even the smallest crack, usually around windows and window sills. They will go away when the nests are removed. (08/30/2009)

By Barb.

Tiny Bugs in My House

Boric Acid. Sprinkle it in places that pets cannot get. The bugs crawl in it, and take it back to their nest, and all die. (08/30/2009)

By Acajudi

I have little brown bugs (look like mites). They can be seen with the eye, but are really small. They don't bite, but really annoying. Does anyone have an idea of what they are? Please help. We have had them for a week and are going crazy. We are going to bomb and see what that does.

By mommie3 from IN

Answers:

Tiny Bugs In My House

I was told by an exterminator: these are called drain flies, and they live in drains. He told a few of us at work ( more than one of us had these), pour about two cups or so of bleach into our drains every other day or so until they are gone. They live in the elbow of the drain so letting the bleach sit for awhile killed them. (07/27/2009)

By lkoenig

Tiny Bugs In My House

Hello, tiny brown bug people. The exterminator was in last evening. We cleaned out our entire pantry and found the source, a can of Hot Chocolate mix. We threw out the can wiped down all of our cupboards and the exterminator will be back on Friday to spray. Hope this helps everyone out.
1265/WI (08/19/2009)

By 1265

I have very tiny bugs - the size of the top of a straight pin in my kitchen around the windows and on my white floor. When you step on them or use your finger to smash them, they leave a reddish, brown streak. I tried spraying and caulked the baseboard area. How do I get rid of them?