Smash Nuts for Baking

I re-use bread bags to crunch nuts. I hated getting out the chopper and having to clean it when I was baking cookies. I just measure the amount of nuts I need and pour them in the bag. I grab a can of veggies or soup and crunch the nuts. All I have to do is pour the nuts in the batter and throw the bag away. It's free and no extra clean up.

By Debbie

Answers:

Smash Nuts for Baking

I worried about this practice. You see we used to do many things with bread wrappers until we were told that some wrappers had lead in the paint/printing and were not suitable for long term storage. Crushing nuts may also pick up this lead off the bags. Does anyone know about this? Has it changed? Thank you (10/18/2004)

Smash Nuts for Baking

Because the nuts are on the inside of the bag and the paint on the outside, it shouldn't be a problem. You could also use a strong zip lock bag if the bread bag is a concern. (10/19/2004)

By Susan from ThriftyFun

Smash Nuts for Baking

I also use bread bags for rolling cracker and graham wafer crumbs. I just tie a knot in the end and use the rolling pin until I have fine crumbs. Works good and no mess. (11/18/2004)

By klawrence34

Smash Nuts for Baking

I use a small but deep bowl and have a tool that looks like a biscuit cutter minus the "hole" in center. I chop in that. The bowl is small enough that the nuts jump around in it, and I have them cut in no time. Not as bad to wash as a nut chopper. (06/01/2008)

By Elaine

Smash Nuts for Baking

I save the inside "bags" from cereal boxes. Very handy for chopping or freezing items in single servings. (06/21/2008)

By rhonda

Smash Nuts for Baking
Sticky buns with nuts.
Baking With Nuts
Cracked Pistachio Nuts
Freezing Pistachio Nuts
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts
cake on stand
Making a Smash Cake
🎄