Smell Coming From a Car Air Conditioner

Determining the cause of the smell coming from you car's air conditioner when you turn it on, is an important step in resolving the issue. This is a guide about troubleshooting a smell coming from a car air conditioner.

Filter Sort

Question: Finding Source Of Car Smell

By Shelley Gray 1

My car smells. When I use the air conditioner, there is no smell. When I just use the fan that circulates the air from outside, then my car smells. What can I do to get rid of the smell?

Shelley from Worth, IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I purchasesd a used 2007 sebring. drove it for a couple of days and I noticed a nauseating smell. The best way for me to describe the smell is urine. I took it back to the dealer and they detailed the car. I drove it for a couple of days and the scent came back. They exchanged the car for another sebring and after driving it for a week this car has the same unbearable smell. Is there anyone out there that has experienced this same problem with a sebring?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mildew Smell Coming From My Car's Air Conditioner

By Mark 1

The inside of my car has a mildew smell and I think it could be from the A/C. How can I get rid of the smell?

tzw5kf from Shreveport, LA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

We too had this odor in our car. Where did it come from no one knows. We put a cut apple under the hood near the dash. It did help Give it a try. It also helps to put the crystal type of deodorant in the back seat floor board of the car.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Smell Coming from Truck Air Conditioner

My Dodge Ram 2014 emits an antiseptic odor, almost like entering a hospital. Like the odor of band-aides. I took it to an auto air repair shop. The man said he didn't have a clue. He told me to get air freshener. I have 4 grand kids and don't want this to be anything that will hurt them.

By Suzy J

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

This vehicle should be under warranty. Take it back to the dealer and ask if this is an odor that should be there or that will go away in time. I suspect it is just a new car/plastic smell that will go away in time, but I am merely guessing. The dealership should be able to explain it or fix it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Rat Smell in the A/C Vents

How do you get rid of the rat smell when you turn on the heat or A/C? The smell is coming through the vents. I have had the engine pressured washed and that didn't help.

By Carolyn B.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Frances Adams 11 554 Flag

There could be a dead rat inside the venting itself. Other than finding and removing the animal, only time will get rid of the odor.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Smell Coming From a Car Air Conditioner

By Marian Hillyer 9 27

I have a four year old car that runs great, a dream to drive and gets reasonable gas mileage. One problem however, it has a peculiar odor when the air conditioning is running. I took it in to the dealer. He told me it happens occasionally to vehicles and I happen to be one of the unlucky people to have this problem. He sold me a can of spray for the vents under the hood. It smelled like talcum powder for a few days then the odor came back.

Have any of you had this problem? If so, were you able to remedy it. Sure hope someone can help. This is such a great and helpful website. No harm in asking.

Thanks in advance.
Marimba

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sam D 1 Flag

Yea, I've had the same problem, almost like a vinegar or foul B.O. smell? I've looked into it and it happens when moisture gets into in the fan or a/c vents, then causing mould to grow in the vents. Hence the bad smell. I've not managed to fix this myself as of yet but apparently running the fans on full for 10-15 mins can dry out the vents to stop it from smelling. Not sure how long-term this solution is though!

Hope that helps

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Smell Coming From a Car Air Conditioner

Have any of you had this problem? If so, were you able to remedy it? Sure hope someone can help. This is such a great and helpful website. No harm in asking.

Thanks in advance.
Marimba

Feedback:

RE: Smell Coming From a Car Air Conditioner

I'd get a CARFAX on it, see if the car has been flooded or damaged. I saw an expose on Dateline a few yrs back how that can happen and one of the signs that something had happened was a smell from heating/air conditioning. Hopefully, this isn't you, but hey, just a thought. Also, check to see if there is anything in the lines or under the hood. Check to see if it needs freon. I think the CARFAX at that time was under $20. Cheaper than a mechanic. (08/31/2005)

By KLS8800

Are you sure it isn't your catalytic converter? It smells like rotten eggs when it goes out. We had the same smell one time and it would almost gag you, but our son is a mechanic and as soon as I described the odor to him he said I needed a new one, so we had it fixed and the smell went away instantly. Check with a different mechanic and mention the converter to him. (08/31/2005)

By peaches

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but I have heard that if you always run your A/C on "max" it leaves moisture in the A/C system. The article I read said to be sure to run it on regular for most of the time, and definitely for the last little while before you turn it off. That dries out the system, apparently. Leaving the system wet lets mildew grow in it because of course, the car is warm in the summer when you use the A/C. Kind of a vicious cycle, huh? (08/31/2005)

By Katie A.

Don't use powder, use Lysol spray in the vents. It kills the bacteria that is causing the ordor. (09/01/2005)

By Joanne

I am laughing at all the above advice.

Reason?

Most cars and trucks now a days have a filter, yes a filter that filters the incoming air. This filter will eventually get full of dust and debris since it is a filter. And over time it can even plug. As it gets wet and dry it will breed bacteria, fungus, etc. This is what causes the problem smell.

Dig it out and clean it every other year, or buy a new one from the dealer and you will end your stinky ride. Most are located in the cowling in front of the fan. Not always easy to get at, but worth the effort to replace or fix.

And now you know! (10/22/2005)

By William

Yes, yes, yes. I once had that problem. When I would turn on my a/c it smelled kind of like BO and bad breath. I would have paid anything to get rid of the smell. Luckily, I received some good, low-cost advice. First, spray Lysol directly into the vent area outside your car where the windshield wiper is. This will help to kill the bacteria that is causing this smell. I was also told to make sure to run the a/c using outside air first, for the first 2 miles. Then, you can revert to the inside circulation which provides a stronger rush of air.
Do these 2 things and hopefully that will be the end of "the dreaded smell". (08/04/2006)

By Leslie

The guy who is laughing at the advice given is simply wrong. While it may be possible for the smell to come from the cabin filter, this problem has been around since long before cabin filters were invented. In fact, the problem has been known since auto A/C first came on the market. It is caused by mold and mildew on the evaporator. This is a well-known and documented problem. (06/17/2007)

By ZoneIII

Another thing that gets this smell started is going through drive through car washes with you air on "intake from the outside" mode. if you go through a drive through car wash, shut of your air or at least turn it to "recirculate" so the water does not get taken in through the vent by the windshield wipers. (07/12/2007)

By Lindsey

It is funny I came across this site. I just changed the hepa filter in my 2006 Jetta. Car still smells though. I actually expected that. The filter is for particulate matter, dust, dirt, and pollen. It does have charcoal in it, however, that will not stop the problems we have. I am in the refrigeration business and I do believe that the tighter coils have to play some part in this. They hold moisture. Where there is moisture there is bacteria. I did manage to spray some cleaner right into the squirrel cage, that freshened it up for the moment, but I bet it will be back tomorrow. In my opinion I would have to be able to get at the evap to spray some cleaner on it. I think the ultimate would be a UV retrofit to kill off the bacteria on the evap. We use these on our units in the field and they work great. I think Lexus actually uses this system now. It would be a nice aftermarket mod for those of us who are sick of this stupid problem. Furthermore, sometimes having a filter is worse than not having one. At some point it is just a trap for all of the garbage. If you don't swap it out your problems will be compounded. Basically, cleanliness is the key. Now, if we could only get in there easy to do it life wouldn't be so hard. (09/20/2007)

By FMG

I just found this website that has great advice: http://autorepair.about.com/cs/heatingac/a/aa071601a.htm (07/30/2008)

By KFL

I believe many of you might have what happened to my minivan a few years ago and it is the a/c evaporator which is usually behind the dashboard; it accumulates bacteria and mold till it gets strong enough to smell like piss, fish, rotten smell, etc. To replace evaporator is a very time consuming and costly job; I did it in my newer minivan this year after getting one year subscription with alldatadiy.com following detailed manual; it save me a $1500 job, but it took me 2 long days. It worked! I hope yours could be different, but this is the usual reason for this ugly fishy smell. (11/16/2008)

By Gustavo

All of you are smelling the same thing - mold.

The automotive suppliers are still using foam based insulation in their evaporators, an ideal food source for fungi. Mold needs 3 things to grow: moisture, a food source, and little or no air flow. The auto's evaporator becomes a fungus breeding ground the moment the AC is turned off.

The new Honda Civic is the most notorious vehicle on the market today for thriving mold. What's needed are class action law suits to force the auto giants to clean up their act. Mold is very dangerous in large concentrations and causes the lungs to bleed internally when exposed. If you can smell the musty vinegar odor, then the mold mycotoxin concentration is alarmingly high. And the mold spores emanating from the HVAC system cling to clothing causing cross contamination in the home, potentially seeding the entire house!

Ultimately the entire HVAC system should be replaced at the manufacture's expense. Ozone may work if the concentration is high enough for a long period of time. A unit producing 3600 mg/hr of ozone might be effective if allowed to penetrate the evaporator for a minimum of 5 days continuously. But the evaporator will have to be completely dry, and the ozone forced through the system.

(03/02/2009)

By Jeff

I found a solution from another forum toyotanation. They suggested Frigi-Clean and Frigi-Fresh. I found it at www.ac-evaporator-cleaner.com (08/19/2009)

By carfaxfun

Car Air Conditioner
Home and Garden Repair CarsSeptember 15, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A/C Heater Vent
Ford F150 Air Conditioner Blowing Hot Air
Window Air Conditioner
Winterizing a Window Air Conditioner
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Central Air Conditioner
Central Air Conditioner Reviews
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 12:26:28 AM on 10.0.1.61 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings