Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Smell Coming From a Car Air Conditioner

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Car Air Conditioner

Determining the cause of the smell coming from you car's air conditioner when you turn it on, is an important step in resolving the issue. This is a guide about troubleshooting a smell coming from a car air conditioner.

Here are questions related to Smell Coming From a Car Air Conditioner.

Question: Mildew Smell Coming From My Car's Air Conditioner

The inside of my car has a mildew smell and I think it could be from the A/C. How can I get rid of the smell?

tzw5kf from Shreveport, LA

Most Recent Answer

By Humbilina (Guest Post)03/01/2009

We too had this odor in our car. Where did it come from no one knows. We put a cut apple under the hood near the dash. It did help Give it a try. It also helps to put the crystal type of deodorant in the back seat floor board of the car.

Question: Smell Coming from Truck Air Conditioner

My Dodge Ram 2014 emits an antiseptic odor, almost like entering a hospital. Like the odor of band-aides. I took it to an auto air repair shop. The man said he didn't have a clue. He told me to get air freshener. I have 4 grand kids and don't want this to be anything that will hurt them.

By Suzy J

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [5]04/04/2014

This vehicle should be under warranty. Take it back to the dealer and ask if this is an odor that should be there or that will go away in time. I suspect it is just a new car/plastic smell that will go away in time, but I am merely guessing. The dealership should be able to explain it or fix it.

Question: Rat Smell in the A/C Vents

How do you get rid of the rat smell when you turn on the heat or A/C? The smell is coming through the vents. I have had the engine pressured washed and that didn't help.

By Carolyn B.

Most Recent Answer

By Frances Adams [11]05/14/2012

There could be a dead rat inside the venting itself. Other than finding and removing the animal, only time will get rid of the odor.

Question: Finding Source Of Car Smell

My car smells. When I use the air conditioner, there is no smell. When I just use the fan that circulates the air from outside, then my car smells. What can I do to get rid of the smell?

Shelley from Worth, IL

Most Recent Answer

By gee (Guest Post)01/07/2008

I purchasesd a used 2007 sebring. drove it for a couple of days and I noticed a nauseating smell. The best way for me to describe the smell is urine. I took it back to the dealer and they detailed the car. I drove it for a couple of days and the scent came back. They exchanged the car for another sebring and after driving it for a week this car has the same unbearable smell. Is there anyone out there that has experienced this same problem with a sebring?

Question: Smell Coming From a Car Air Conditioner

I have a four year old car that runs great, a dream to drive and gets reasonable gas mileage. One problem however, it has a peculiar odor when the air conditioning is running. I took it in to the dealer. He told me it happens occasionally to vehicles and I happen to be one of the unlucky people to have this problem. He sold me a can of spray for the vents under the hood. It smelled like talcum powder for a few days then the odor came back.

Have any of you had this problem? If so, were you able to remedy it. Sure hope someone can help. This is such a great and helpful website. No harm in asking.

Thanks in advance.
Marimba

Most Recent Answer

By Sam D05/23/2012

Yea, I've had the same problem, almost like a vinegar or foul B.O. smell? I've looked into it and it happens when moisture gets into in the fan or a/c vents, then causing mould to grow in the vents. Hence the bad smell. I've not managed to fix this myself as of yet but apparently running the fans on full for 10-15 mins can dry out the vents to stop it from smelling. Not sure how long-term this solution is though!

Hope that helps

Solutions: Smell Coming From a Car Air Conditioner

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Smell Coming From a Car Air Conditioner

I have a four year old car that runs great, a dream to drive and gets reasonable gas mileage. One problem however, it has a peculiar odor when the air conditioning is running. I took it in to the dealer. He told me it happens occasionally to vehicles and I happen to be one of the unlucky people to have this problem.