Smell from New Leather Furniture

Category Odors
Natural leather furniture does come with a "leather" smell. However, the processing of leather for furniture includes not only the tanning process, but may also involve applying other chemicals to provide stain resistance, for example. This is a guide about smell from new leather furniture.

I bought a leather sofa and love seat and the smell is so strong, it burns my eyes. I was wondering why?

Cindi from Harrisburg, PA

I'm just wondering if it is a burgundy color? My Mom got one this color and had to return it because of the smell. She was told others have had to return this color as well.

I've posted several times, so I thought, but it didn't go through for some reason, perhaps my fault. I was told by a leather store that many leathers are tanned in horse urine, and the odor may never leave. Hope your's isn't one of them. God bless you and help you to return it if it is. You should have a legitimate complaint! :<0