Smoke Alarm Going Off

My hardwired smoke detector is going off at the interval of every few hours. When one started the other two followed. All three are over 10 years old?

By Monica T.

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

All smoke detectors are supposed to be replaced about every 8-10 years, so you're due. New smoke detectors run about $5-$20, so it's not too bad, even for 3. I'm sure the fire department has a program to help if needed.

Some smoke detectors do take a 9-volt battery that can be replaced, but those usually chirp when the battery needs to be replaced - not go off. Even those should be swapped out every 10 years, so I'd still recommend replacement.

Another thing that can make some smoke detectors go off is if they get a lot of dust in them.

I have same type of issue but all smoke are hardwired& the detectors have been replaced- it still didn't stop- now we replaced the main batteries that last 5 yrs& both still chirp but not both at same time! & very randomly & everytime it does it for a different time period ALL hours of the day! 1st it was 1 & now that stopped for about a month & the other now chirps Alot just not non stop! PLEASE help! :-/

Best Answer

It is time to replace them. I am a fire fighter and depending on the type, they are to be replaced every 8-12 years.

We replaced both the upstairs and kitchen smoke alarms and they still beep, we unhooked them and we still get a beep, any answers. Thanks

My smoke detector was also going off. It's about 20 years old and hardwired. I blew out the dust and it's been okay since then. It still works when popcorn is burned, so that is a good thing.

Electric Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping
Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousJanuary 30, 2014
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Home Security Without an Alarm System
Home Security Without an Alarm System
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 19, 2017 at 11:15:54 AM on 10.0.0.212 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.