Smoke Alarm Keeps Chirping

I changed the heat detector batteries located in my garage. My smoke alarms in the house have been going off ever since. I now have changed all the batteries in all the smoke alarms and yet, one keeps chirping about every minute and a half.

By Glenn O.

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

When this happened at our house, the only way to shut them up was to replace them. Our volunteer fire chief came to the house to install the new ones and said he has heard of this happening a lot. He also said that they would not work if there was a real fire. Good luck. Good sleep.

Best Answer

KUDOS to the person who suggested checking the carbon monox. detector. That was my problem. I tried changing batteries etc.

No Luck. THEN I heard the "tiny" chirp of the carbon monox. detector. It was covered with "stuff". I removed the stuff and changed

the batteries. All chirps stopped! Thanks for the great suggestion!! Hope this helps someone else!

It's probably the smoke alarm itself that's bad. we have one in the house that's connected to the house electrical system and has a battery back-up. it started chirping the other day and I changed the 9v battery and it's still chirping which means the unit is bad and needs to be replaced. I have been told that they do have a shelf life existence and ours is 10 years old.

I am not a smoke alarm professional but, common sense says it's the unit.

We had the same problem and it was the unit. We just replaced all of them as a precaution. No more chirping.

Some batteries come defective from factory, even when the package is new. I had that experience with industrial Energizer batteries a few years ago twice. If you have a meter, test the battery.

Electric Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping
Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousNovember 11, 2012
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Home Security Without an Alarm System
Home Security Without an Alarm System
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 19, 2017 at 11:15:59 AM on 10.0.2.104 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.