Smoke Alarms Won't Shut Off

My smoke alarm won't stop beeping. One alarm started to beep, I replaced the battery, then another started. I have 5, replaced all with new batteries, still beeped (about once every minute). Replaced all the alarms, still beeps, disconnected all alarms, the house still beeps. Would there be a relay, and where can I find it. Help my family is going crazy, it's been 3 days.

Kat from Seattle, WA

Answers:

Smoke Alarms Won't Shut Off

Before going through any expense; try cleaning each of them thoroughly; we had a small bug in one of ours that kept setting it off; with 9 smoke detectors in the house it took awhile to figure out which one was the problem; after cleaning each of them and installing new batteries problem was solved. (06/18/2008)

By Deb in AZ

Smoke Alarms Won't Shut Off

I agree with Connie A. Ask your local fire dept to come and check it out. We also had that happen. My husband changed the battery too, didn't help. He also shut off the breaker that fed power to the smoke alarm. It didn't work either. We just bought a new one - they're fairly cheap now. Good luck. (06/18/2008)

By KJ

Smoke Alarms Won't Shut Off

Ok, I figured it out! After the 3 worst minutes of my life (it hurt more than labor) & I finally got them to stop insanely screaming at me, and they just beeped, beeped, beeped. By the way, I'll need to train the local fire dept on this, because they couldn't figure it out either.

I took all of the batteries out of them, shut the MAIN BREAKER off for about a half hour, of course I opened up all the windows to air the place out. Then I put all the batteries back in & turned the main breaker back on. No beeps for the past 15 minutes, so I think we're good. After I reset all of the clocks in the house, I'm headed to the doctor to get my damaged eardrums repaired. (08/29/2008)

By ~Me*

Smoke Alarms Won't Shut Off

If your hard wired interconnected smoke alarms are going off, the primary source of the problem should have a blinking red light. Normally all detectors have a solid green or blinking green light. Remove the offending some detector and remove the battery. This should stop the alarm. You then need to assess if the problem is the unit itself, or if it just needs a a new battery. I just had a power failure in my home, and it knocked out one of the units, which set off the whole system.

(09/10/2008)

By Alec Karys

Electric Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Opening Frozen Car Door
Opening a Door That is Frozen Shut
🎉
🎄