Smooth Away Shaving System Reviews

Smooth women's lower legs against peach background
This guide contains Smooth Away Shaving System reviews. Learning about other people's experiences with a product can help you make an informed buying decision.

Does Smooth Away remove belly hair?

By sarah1130 from IN

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

I bought this product at Bed Bath and Beyond about a month ago for $9.99. I have sensitive skin, but I followed the instructions to the letter, and when I tried it the frst time it left my legs smooth and reasonably hair free. I was afraid to try it on my face, though, because of the sensitivity issue.

This past Monday, I used the product for the second time on my legs, not anticipating any problems based on the success of the first use. I was not sunburned or otherwise irritated at the time that I used it, though in the afternoon of the same day, after I used it, I did spend some time in the sun. I wasn't "sunbathing," though, just outdoors in the sunshine. I was fine until that evening, when I noticed a horrible, intense itching on my calves and shins where I used the product. So painful and itchy that it actually woke me up in the night and has continued to do so! I did not even connect it to the Smooth Away at first, but it is now 3 1/2 days later and I am still experiencing intense itching in the area where I used the product, my legs are red and irritated, and I even noticed some hives on my legs in the middle of the night last night, and I know it is from the Smooth Away! Nothing has worked to soothe the itch -- not a steroid lotion, not cool baths, not medicated powder, not even Benadryl taken by mouth. It comes and goes, but seems to get worse and worse if my legs sweat. It feels like fire -- like there are microscopic cuts and abrasions on my legs, or like a horrible second-degree sunburn. I will never, ever use this product again -- I followed all the instructions, had no prior irritation to my skin or legs, and have been suffering ever since. I do not recommend this product -- save your money, stick to your razor!

Best Answer

I saw this at a grocery store for $9.99 and wanted to try it. I saw the, "As Seen On TV" sticker and decided to check reviews online, first. Well, before I could do that, I saw the exact same product at Dollar Tree! It was called, Lassy Legs. It cost one dollar. Why the heck not, right?? Well, I'm glad I didn't pay ten bucks for it, but I'm also glad I tried it. I tried it first on my recently shaved legs. It did nothing on my knees, but noticeably smoothed my calves. Then I tried it under my arms which had been shaved about a week ago. Um, ouch. It actually made me bleed and didn't remove any hair. It hurt/burned for hours afterward. Immediately afterward I put hydrocortisone cream on it, which burned briefly. That reduced the redness, but the pain lasted a few hours until I put some antibacterial ointment on. It doesn't hurt anymore, but I will not be using it under my arms again. I also tried it on my bikini area. Similar to the arms, with the exception that it did remove hair. So, it worked, with better results than shaving (and I'm hoping longer lasting, too). It left redness/pain/burning/minor bleeding there, too, but antibacterial ointment took care of it instantly.

I'm going to try again (in my bikini area) after taking a shower (so the warm water opens my pores a bit) and following immediately with the antibacterial ointment. Everything the negative reviews said is true, but for one dollar, I got a big pad and a little pad, plus 4 of each size papers. If I can keep the redness/burning at bay, and even if I only use it on my bikini area, it will be worth it. I'm shaking my head at all those who spent sixty dollars for this. My advice? Try your local Dollar Tree! :)

Will anything happen to your body after using the Smooth Away product?

By dancinqueen101

Answers:

Reviews of Smooth Away Shaving System

I canceled this product before I received it. The company continues to charge my account each month. It's a mess. Don't bother ordering through the infomercial. They carry the product everywhere. My niece has used it and says it doesn't work at all. In the meantime, they are abusing my credit card usage. (06/27/2009)

By DGW

Reviews of Smooth Away Shaving System

Being that you're new to posting I don't know if you'll check your messages here so am also posting because wanted to give you a suggestion about how to remedy the credit card abuse.

I had that happen to me once and what I finally did was ask the credit card company to change my card number, explained the situation and asked if they would remove all or most of the charges from that company. They immediately changed the number making it impossible for the company to add any further charges, did an investigation and removed all except the first charge.
I hope this information is helpful to you.

Deeli (06/28/2009)

By Deeli

Reviews of Smooth Away Shaving System

Don't waste your money. This "system" does not work and may seriously damage your skin. It is nothing more than sand paper. I followed the instructions for use on the face, and was very raw for 3 or 4 days. Then the skin blistered and peeled, almost like a sunburn. To add insult to the injury, it did not remove any hair. (06/30/2009)

By littlemisssunbeam

Reviews of Smooth Away Shaving System

I saw it as I was at the checkout counter at Walmart this morning and decided to go ahead and buy it. Tried it as soon as I got home. I will never use anything else on my legs. I have never gotten such a close shave with a razor or cream hair remover. Plus, it exfoliates at the same time. No pain whatsoever. My legs feel so smooth, and I haven't even put lotion on, yet. Worked great on my chin hair, too. No pain, no irritation, no redness. Perhaps, the trick is to not press hard, which is mentioned in the instructions. I will never use those wax strips on my face, again. I love it. (07/14/2009)

By Bobbie9395

Reviews of Smooth Away Shaving System

I bought this product to avoid razor bumps and all the product did was irritate my skin even more. It was such a waste of money, but luckily I bought it from Walgreens and they gave me a complete refund for it. So if you're interested in trying it buy it from Walgreens so if it doesn't work you can get your $10 dollars back. (07/15/2009)

By Sarah

Does Smooth Away work?

By pcpc from Daytona, FL

Answers:

Reviews of Smooth Away Shaving System

My 83 year old neighbor just received the one she ordered and she loves it, she used it on her face a couple of days ago for the 1st time and now her chin is fuzz free, it didn't damage her skin in any way. For as long as it takes for the hair to grow back, I think that would depend on each individual's hair growth. (05/15/2009)

By BABBIE

Reviews of Smooth Away Shaving System

Do a search on this site for reviews. You will get good and bad ones, that is why I haven't bought it. (05/21/2009)

By ScottishYankee

Reviews of Smooth Away Shaving System

I thought it felt like sandpaper. I like my Tweezie. (05/21/2009)

By micksgirl

Reviews of Smooth Away Shaving System

It is not recommended for diabetics, as it is so abrasive. It can cause small nicks and cuts. (05/22/2009)

By mulberry204

Reviews of Smooth Away Shaving System

Absolutely hate this. I usually wax my face and this thing sands my skin off before the hair is removed. My face is on fire. My face feels better after waxing than it does now. It does not work as advertised. Used it on a spot on husband's back and it balls the hair up without "sanding" it away. Do not waste your money. (05/28/2009)

By ann123

Smooth Away Shaving System works

I have tried different hair removal methods on my face. My face is so sensitive that waxing makes me break up in hives; threading makes my face so swollen for hours. The Smooth Away Shaving System is easy to use and does not irritate my skin like other methods. (05/30/2009)

By bombshell

Reviews of Smooth Away Shaving System

Okay, I read all the reviews and decided to go for it, even though they were a little mixed. Here's what I found: there are basically 2 kinds of people who buy this product. There are those who want a smooth-as-a-baby's-bottom shave all the way up to the bikini line, and there are those (like me) who have four kids and just want to get away with wearing capris every day during summer without icky stubble. If you are among the first group, do not buy this. You will be disappointed. Stick with you razor.

However, if you are part of the second group, this is worth the $9.99 you might pay for it at Walgreen's. I paid more, but I also got an extra set and tons of refills. I also got 2 bottles of the deliciously Plumeria-scented "Hair-Inhibitor Moisturizer". I don't know how well it inhibits hair growth, but it's an effective moisturizer and smells good.

I'm not in high school anymore. I don't wear short shorts, my husband doesn't always notice if I showered, never mind whether or not I shaved my legs. So I like this product for the everyday, in-between-shaves use. For a special date, I'd probably still use my trusty razor. (06/11/2009)

By QuiverKeeper

Reviews of Smooth Away Shaving System

I bought this because I've been wanting to try it. I wouldn't recommend using it for my legs because a razor is faster an easier. But if you wax or shave your arms or face I highly recommend it. I thought it would be like sandpaper but its rather smooth. My face didn't turn red which I also expected. This morning I was in a rush and had some unwanted facial hair and within a minute it was smooth as can be. No gels, no odors, nothing. This product is great. (06/12/2009)

By jamie13

Has anyone tried that Smooth Away shaving thing? It's on TV, it's a pink plastic thing that has an abrasive side that you rub on your legs or wherever and it removes hair. If anyone has, do you like it and how long does your hair stay gone? Thanks!