Snakes in House

Once again I've found I have unwelcome guests in my house. My 5 year old found a rather long black snake in our upstairs bathroom yesterday. He was killed and taken outside, but I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for snake repellent.

I'm not sure how he got in; am thinking he crawled up the propane pipe and came out the furnace in the bathroom, but he could have crawled up the sink pipes too. We tried to stuff steel wool around these pipes, but I still don't feel really secure that no more snakes will come in. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Donna in Kansas

Answers:

Snakes in House

I've read that buying powdered sulfur and sprinkling it around your house deters them. Also, if you think you know where they come in at, place a few moth balls around in that area. They don't like the smell of those. Good luck. (08/18/2004)

By Denise

Snakes in House

Donna, I have had tremendous luck with keeping all types of vermin out of my house by having two house cats. My grandfather always kept dozens of wild felines in his barns because snakes won't come around them. Of course, some people might consider cats to be vermin. (08/19/2004)

By Jonid

Snakes in House

The snakes are after the mice, you will need to get rid of your mice (easier said than done). We sometimes have had snakes in our walls and I don't mind so much knowing they are mouse hunting. However, like you, I did object after finding a snake in my bathtub.

Also, plug up all the holes you can find, the steel wool works well at keeping mice out so probably will keep the snakes out, too. After we insulated some eave spaces our snake visitors declined in numbers. (08/25/2004)

Snakes in House

Snakes are after food and shelter, so if you get rid of the food and plug up your holes you should be fine. I had a problem with copperheads in yard, but after spraying for insects and cleaning up all the leaves and junk around the house I have not had any problems. (10/02/2005)

By Miguel

Snakes in House

One more thing is possible - Have you checked to make sure you don't have a hole in the dryer hose leading to the outdoors? They tend to get in that way, too. Sorry, don't have any additional repelling advice.
(10/03/2005)

By lillseester

Snakes in House

http://www.research.ku.edu/explore/v1n2/snakes.html This is a good article about finding snakes in your house. Killing, capturing and keeping a wild snake in Kansas is illegal as well as in a lot of other states. (06/29/2006)

By Jo in KS

Snakes alive

I have found a nest of cobras under my house. They have crawled up through the pipes and swallowed my cats and dogs. This morning my wife was missing. I feel I may be next...any help appreciated.

Editor's Note: We are pretty sure this is a joke but decided to post it anyway. (07/12/2007)

By JackSkellington

Snakes in House
Florida pine snake
Identifying Florida Snakes
A Non-Poisonous Garter Snake.
Identifying Non-Poisonous Snakes
Snake
Deterring Snakes
A garter snake in grass.
Getting Rid of Garter Snakes
🎉
🎄