Soap Scum on Fiberglass

What is the best way to clean years of soap scum from a fiberglass bathtub? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Marlene from TX

Soap Scum on Fiberglass

One of the best products I've found for soap scum, is called The Works. The product has changed over the years, and I don't think it's as good as it used to be, but still works pretty good. Spray it on and give it a few minutes to soak in, but don't let it begin to dry on the tub or it's harder to get off. There are several different "The Works" products on the market, so look for the one for tub and tile. I don't know where you are located, but most groceries around here (Fl) carry it. Good luck. (02/12/2006)

By wendymaree

Soap Scum on Fiberglass

Try liquid dishwasher detergent. I used it once in a pinch and have used it ever since! Any brand will do and it works great. (02/13/2006)

By chima0692

Soap Scum on Fiberglass

A product I swear by from years of cleaning military housing for inspection, Kaboom. It does soap scum, hard water build up, calcium and lime deposits, and rust stains. It also smells good.

Karen (02/13/2006)

By hairyjoe

Soap Scum on Fiberglass

Try regular white vinegar, full strength. Spray it on. Let it soak. Scrub, respray, resoak, rescrub. It works especially well if you can let is soak through the scrubbing agent (I use a scrubbing wand used for dishsoap and hold it upside down to let the vinegar come out.) It works great and is cheap. Smells not so great, but once clean, all you have to do is squeegee daily and you won't ever have to clean up that fiberglass again. (02/13/2006)

By sueey

Soap Scum on Fiberglass

I use Tilex. It works quickly on the fiberglass and
comes in lemon scent. The spray nozzle gives
you the option of spray or foam spray. I hope
it is available everywhere. I buy ours at Target.
We live in California. (02/13/2006)

By peneilope

Soap Scum on Fiberglass

Try using a "Magic Eraser". I haven't used it on soap scum buildup, but it works very well on most everything. Don't use anything abrasive or you will damage the finish and make future cleaning even worse.

A suggestion, if you lightly spray your tub or shower with Shower Shine as soon as you get out, you won't get soap scum buildup. Works very well for me!

By mousie

Soap Scum on Fiberglass

Two suggestions:

1. Try using Calgon Bouquet bath salts to dissolve the mineral deposits.
  2. Change from soap to one of the liquid body washes (which I believe are detergent rather than soap.) It will really cut the tub clean-up time.

By Claudia from MD

Eliminate the problem before it starts. Move the bar of soap to a place where shower does not constantly wash over it. It eliminates a lot of soap scum and the soap last longer.

Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Remove Soap Scum from Fiberglass
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
cleaning a tub
Removing Soap Scum from a Plastic Tub
Washing Machine
Cleaning Soap Scum Out of a Washing Machine
Cleaning a Fiberglass Boat
Cleaning a Fiberglass Boat