Solution for Extremely Oily Hair

My handicapped sister has hair that is far more oily than any I have ever seen or heard of. It's a terrible problem and even washing every day doesn't help much.

Does anyone have any ideas for something that would help? There used to be a dry shampoo that was used mostly for people who were hospitalized or bed ridden, but I haven't seen it in decades. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jeane in TX

Answers:

Solution for Extremely Oily Hair

Way back in the "old" days before hospitals had someone to come and wash your hair, they would rub cornstarch into the hair, and then brush it out. The cornstarch absorbs the oil, and a good brushing will remove it. Hope this helps, but it can't hurt to try it. (06/15/2005)

By Granny in WI

Solution for Extremely Oily Hair

I've heard of using baby powder before. I tried this once. It did alright, but gave my hair static electricity. After a while it was OK and laid down. I bet the cornstarch would work better. (06/15/2005)

By badwater

Solution for Extremely Oily Hair

Avon sells waterless shampoo. They also sell a spray that is supposed to help you get an extra day out of shampooing again. That may help cut down on the oil. I have also heard about and have actually done, is to use dry oatmeal in the hair. The cornstarch and powder would all help get the oil out. (06/15/2005)

By Sandy

Solution for Extremely Oily Hair

We have a medical supply store in our area (NC) which carries the waterless shampoo. You may have a medical or hospital supply in your city. Also, your local hospice may be able to help you locate a supplier. (06/16/2005)

By NanaB

Solution for Extremely Oily Hair

My grandmother used Dawn dishwashing liquid in her hair about 1-2 per month and that seemed to help her. (06/16/2005)

By Doris

Solution for Extremely Oily Hair

Baking soda will help absorb the oil and will keep the head fresh smelling, brush it out after letting it work. (06/16/2005)

By kidsNclutter

Solution for Extremely Oily Hair

Try tea tree shampoo. (07/05/2005)

By Natasha

Solution for Extremely Oily Hair

Using any dish detergent on your hair is not good, it strips away all the essential oils your hair needs. This in turn makes your scalp produce more oil to make up for what you stripped away. I think Bumble and Bumble makes a dry shampoo, at least they used to. Try using a lightweight conditioner, too (if you're using one) and focus more on the ends than the roots. (06/08/2006)

By Crystal

try this!!

Boil mint for 15 minutes, strain the solution and mix with 1/4 cup of shampoo. (09/06/2008)

By oil no more

Solution for Extremely Oily Hair

Using baby powder works well, but use sparingly. (01/26/2009)

By Ann

Remedies for Oily Hair
Remedies for Greasy or Oily Hair
Woman holding a lock of hair in one hand and dry shampoo powder in the other
Using Dry Shampoo
Closeup of Facial Pores and Oily Skin
Remedies for Oily Skin
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎄