Solutions For Shrunk Clothing

So my wonderful new (and rather expensive) Eddie Bauer stretch twill pants shrank about an inch in length on the first wash. (I removed them from the dryer when they were about half dry.) They were perfect before the shrinkage.

I'm planning to try hanging them up wet next time I wash and hanging a weight from the bottom (like a partially-filled paint can) to help stretch them back. Is there anything else I could try to restore them if this doesn't work? It seems that pants stretchers are only for horizontal stretching.

By Kelly from Dallas, TX

Answers:

Solutions For Shrunk Clothing

If there is even only a half of an inch of extra fabric on the bottom of the pant leg seam, perhaps you could have a tailor rip the seam to extend the length. I've had that done before and even though I didn't like the cost, I loved the pants enough to do so. (10/04/2010)

By Deeli

Solutions For Shrunk Clothing

Fabrics shrink the first time they are washed when they have natural fibers. There is nothing you can do to change this. This is why when you sew your own clothing, you are told to prewash fabric, zippers, and any trims in hot water to make them shrink before sewing into a garment. I agree that you can take down the hem, it will give you another 1/2 inch, and that may be enough to get by. (10/05/2010)

By susanmajp

Solutions For Shrunk Clothing

You should contact Eddie Bauer. If you followed the tag and washed them as they said then that is a manufacturing fault. I am sure they will refund your money or let you get a different item. (I would not get the same ones, as they will also shrink.) (10/05/2010)

By Tigertame4

Solutions For Shrunk Clothing

I'm happy to report that I stretched my pants back to their original length. I did this by folding the pants lengthwise as if I were going to iron a crease into them, then attaching clamp-on pants hangers to both ends. I hung the pants upside down from a peg in my laundry room, then hung a 1/3-full paint can on the bottom hook. I let them dry that way, and not only did they stretch back to their original length, but they were wrinkle-free, too. This is how I'll be drying all my cotton/spandex pants from now on! (10/17/2010)

By chretienne

Solutions For Shrunk Clothing
Rocks inside two mason jars.
Cheap Storage Solutions
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Dingy Clothing on a Clothing Line
Solutions for Dingy Clothing
Woman Wearing Hat
Repairing Hats
🎉
🎄