Something in Apartment Is Making Skin Itch

Skin Itch
Finding the cause for a skin irritation that results in itching can be troublesome. This is a guide about something in apartment is making skin itch.

Me and my partner live in a small studio apartment. Over the course of the last 4 months she has been experiencing mild itchiness, but it was occasional and not detrimental to everyday life. But in the last week or so it has gotten much, much worse. It not only effects her anymore and is getting to us both. We are losing sleep over it for nights at a time. We have ruled out visible insects like bed bugs after not finding a single bite mark or specimen anywhere on our bodies or living area.

This itching is constant but not exactly. Sometimes it is alright and doesn't bother us that much, but other times it's incredibly unbearable. We have a small dog that my partner has owned for almost 7 yrs. Is there any chance that's the issue? Can you develop allergies to an animal after so long?

It's only in our apartment too. After a mere 5 minutes of being outside the itching is subsided and non existent, but coming in it's like an immediate wave that hits us both. What could cause such an unusual problem? We are getting to the point of not functioning well because of it and it's straining both our professional life and personal life. We have also discovered a small amount of ashy white mold like substance by our shower. It doesnt stink and it's very small. Could it be that? Could it be a gas leak from our water heater? Could it be the dog? We need help here cuz we are stumped and in constant annoyance and pain. Please help. We are doing all of our laundry today, again. Hopefully that will help. Thanks.

By Satori F

This is a no brainer. If you are positive it is in the apartment move.

The answer depends on how much you want to spend to find out. There are environmental engineers that will come and test your home. It does seem to me that it is something in your home. If it were the dog you would continue to itch even when you were outside the home. Same for your clothing. You may have a mold problem. It can be inside the walls where you do not see it. It can give you the symptoms you described. Many people feel flu like when exposed to mold. It is a major headache to get rid of and is expensive. Moving might be the cheapest answer.

Have you investigated whether or not you might have scabies? They cause itching, and when I had them, they seemed to bother me most when I was visiting at the nursing home or watching TV. They did not bother as much when I was at work or driving, I am sure, because I was moving about and thinking of other things.

Have you been to a doctor about this itching? It may be something that is an odd or rare infection.

Before you move, if you think it might be environmental, I would have the house thoroughly cleaned - wash walls, shampoo carpets & sofas, etc., wash all clothes and bedding, and use different laundry detergent and soaps than you have been in the habit of using.

Hives can also be a stress reaction. You might try oatmeal baths and the like, and taking antihistamines that treat hives. My son had hives from stress when he was a toddler!

Hives can also be a reaction to something that you are eating. Some people I know who are gluten sensitive get hives when they eat a doughnut! Perhaps it is something like that, and the stress of not being able to figure out what it is aggravates the rash when you get home.