Soot on Painted Wall

My boyfriend turned the wrong burner on the stove on, which happened to have a plastic Folgers coffee can (empty) on it. Needless to say, the can melted into the stove (which we got clean), but the painted walls and ceiling are covered in soot. Are there any suggestions on cleaning this up without having to repaint (its a rental house).

Thanks ahead of time.

Soot on Painted Wall

Use ammonia (I prefer sudsy ammonia) in a bucket of water and wash from the bottom up. (03/16/2005)

By beanygurl

Soot on Painted Wall

I received this idea from the firemen when my brother-in-law was involved in a small fire. Mix washing soda, vinegar, and ammonia together to a bucket of water. Then wash the wall with it. This combination works well to remove soot and smoke smell from clothing or curtains, etc. (03/16/2005)

cleaning walls
Removing Soot from Walls and Ceiling
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Painted Chinese furniture.
Cleaning Painted Wood Furniture